• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Why you should grease your skid, frequently!!

matchrocket

Premium Member
Mar 2, 2016
Boise
As part of my pre-season routine this fall, I decided to pull off my skid and go through everything. Checking wheel bearings, idler wheels, etc.

I have 1000 miles on the sled, and I keep up on lubing the skid every other ride, and have done so since day one. GREASING THE AXYS-Mtn Sleds...

I wanted to share what I found on wear wise on a well maintained sled after 1000 miles:

Skid Pivot Points

This was the shocker... with how much I grease the skid, the amount of wear and water was amazing!

Rear Pivot Point Bar. I could feel it bind/grind when I turned it after I pulled the skid out. Also had moisture / water in it when I pulled it. I store it indoors always, and finding water after sitting in my hot garage all summer is crazy..
WPJKyoel.jpg

Front Pivot Point:
cxqWovzl.jpg

Bar that couples the front/rear shock together on the skid. [H in the diagram]
dm5lMfvl.jpg

h3OmYHem.jpg

They all were gouged, and rusted.... Will need to be replaced next season for sure.

Wheel Bearings

After I pulled the skid, I found the upper idler wheel bears very rough / sticking even. I also found wear on the skid where the bearings had stuck and were spinning on the shaft. (Forgot to take a pic of this).

I decided to pull the bearings and seals and see if they could be salvaged. The seals come out very easily with a small pick.

Rust on Bearing, this one was turning very rough.
FV1zgHom.jpg

Seal pulled. Grease was almost gone and was flaky / crumbling. Big takeaway, it was dry, and not doing much to lube the bearing.
GGfhuMpm.jpg

Little Brake Cleaner, all better.
mywnG6pm.jpg

Packed with RedLine
DfH1Tk4m.jpg

Did this to the uppers, and the lower's on the front shock. They all turn 10x better now.

Shock Bushings
They ALL looked like this. Greased them up while I was in there.
XwdW50am.jpg

I hope this helps with why its so important to keep your skid greased up, and cleaning bearings should be part of your seasonal routine as well!

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
What kind of grease did u use?
4,000 miles on my 09 M8 didn't have that much wear... bearings didn't look like that either. Grease once a season (~900miles).
Packed wheel bearings at 2,600 miles.

matchrocket

Premium Member
Mar 2, 2016
Boise
What kind of grease did u use?
4,000 miles on my 09 M8 didn't have that much wear... bearings didn't look like that either. Grease once a season (~900miles).
Packed wheel bearings at 2,600 miles.

Red Line CV-2 synthetic grease..

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Premium Features