• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Primary clutch different on 16 800 to 19 850?

jrcactus

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Winfield BC
I have heard from a few people that the primary clutch is different on the 850's compared to the 800's. The reason I ask is I have S/C a 850 but have 2 new complete primaries, I know sheave angles are different on the secondary but the dealer cant tell me if they are different or not for the primary.
Does any one have any information on this?

Thanks

willjogervais

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW Minnesota
Thanks for the replies..
I guess I have a few primaries for sale..

might be a dumb question but if only the snout taper is bigger on the 850, couldnt you have a competant machine shop bore the bigger taper in the primaries and save big $$ to keep them for your new 850? IndyDan, is there a reason this wouldnt work? I am no professional, but if done correctly it shouldnt affect the balancing unless I am missing something???

Last edited:

jrcactus

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Winfield BC
That would be alot cheaper then a new clutch for sure, just have to find a good machine shop.
might be a dumb question but if only the snout taper is bigger on the 850, couldnt you have a competant machine shop bore the bigger taper in the primaries and save big $$ to keep them for your new 850? IndyDan, is there a reason this wouldnt work? I am no professional, but if done correctly it shouldnt affect the balancing unless I am missing something???

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
That would be alot cheaper then a new clutch for sure, just have to find a good machine shop.

I guess maybe the 850 clutches will be rare for awhile........
Are you expecting to need a replacement soon?

After a year or so usually i can swing by the dealer and get a new take off clutch for $350 ish. (Folks putting electric start on)

I dunno what machine setup and labor time would be but I think you would be better off selling the clutches as is..........

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
might be a dumb question but if only the snout taper is bigger on the 850, couldnt you have a competant machine shop bore the bigger taper in the primaries and save big $$ to keep them for your new 850? IndyDan, is there a reasonly that this wouldnt work? I am no professional, but if done correctly it shouldnt affect the balancing unless I am missing something???

Good questions and replies !

A week ago we did exactly that..... To get ahead of the game we machined a run of ( qty ) - 20 New 2018 32mm clutches to the new 34mm taper.

This is not a big deal other then they are pretty hard.

cutting just one would be spendy ( $125.00 ) if we did a run of them like
( qty ) - 10 it would be much less money.

Dan

Last edited:

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
What are the sheave angles?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

S
Oct 26, 2018
Good questions and replies !

A week ago we did exactly that..... To get ahead of the game we machined a run of ( qty ) - 20 New 2018 32mm clutches to the new 34mm taper.

This is not a big deal other then they are pretty hard.

cutting just one would be spendy ( $125.00 ) if we did a run of them like
( qty ) - 10 it would be much less money.

Dan
Hi Dan,
What was the taper angle with the new 34mm size?

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
SnoEast & Killer

The 900's had both 30mm & 32mm

as far as the 34mm taper goes we reverse engineered the taper and checked it in .025 increments came up with a solid degree number and cut taper and it didn't fit worth a chit..... so we just kept tweeking it until we got a nice full contact patch fit from start till end.

after torquing the clutch it has a nice crisp snap when you pull it.

We checked several new clutches and all fit nice with a good snap,

we had the same problem when we made the new balancer mandrel.

So that being said I would rather not mention a taper #, reverse engineered clutch tapers are tricky. ( taper fits on clutches are rarely a cut and dry number. )

But once you get it dialed in on your specific machine then the machined tapers fit nice.

Sense we don't have a print from the factory Nor are we cutting them on the exact same machine with the same tooling....( it gets tricky )

The clutches are pretty damn hard and do not machine very easy.

My guess is the factory grinds both the crank taper & the clutch bore ( but that's just a guess )

The reason indy Specialty bought a CNC Lathe is because clutches we had machined in the past rarely seem to fit correctly.

Dan

Last edited:
Premium Features