• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2004 snow hawk??? looking to buy used.

X
Sep 15, 2008
2004 snow hawk??? looking at a used one. what should i know?

I found a 2004 600 HO snow hawk in the classifieds near me. The price is attractive, and I'm just wondering if there is anything i should know about the Snow hawks in 04? were there any issues? i'm not familiar with the development and evolution, year to year, of this machine. I dont want it to turn out to be a POS and then i find out the 05 got all these upgrades to fix it.

also, i've never owned a sled before. i've only ridden one once, in a feild with deep powder for about a minute. so this will be my first.... snow oriented machine... but im an avid dirt bike rider, which is why im attracted to the snow hawk. i really want something that will feel like my dirtbike in the winter. will i be in too deep though trying to keep up with my sled buddies on the trail? since here it's mostly groomed trails unless it opens into a field or frozen lake. (northern vt)

Last edited:
X
Sep 15, 2008

lol. are you single and willing to ride with me? you know... to show me the ropes?

yeah im just joking.

but kidding aside, im reading through the forum and i read something about stiff suspension and piston/ring issues on the 04 snow hawk. anyone care to explain?

S

snow hawk gal

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
2004 Ski Doo Rotax engine issue.

Not just Snow Hawks, we just replaced the parts and all fixed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l118fKX3-xk

A Snow Hawk is a Snow Hawk, we think we found the one you found, looks good to go.

:)

PS Hawks are a little over the top for me, my rides consist of an 1982 Yamaha 340 Enticer, and a 2004 Honda CRF150F.

snowhawkaddict= my guy.:heart:

X
Sep 15, 2008
im pretty much a youtube addict. i've watched every snowhaw, 2moto, and explorer video about 10 times over. and i've sent them all out to my friends, to the point where they're almost annoyed. so i send them again.

so now ive found one for sale, just need some history on how the model was during that year.

and incase i find any snow hawks of other years, what should i know? were there any recalls? updates? im only looking at 600s or 800s. what about the track sizes? i see some have a 121" track and a 136" track. what normally comes on a snow mobile?

Last edited:
T
Nov 29, 2007
Morrsitown Vermont
These is exactly the same questions I had last year. I bough one!

1) Drop the belly pan and check the muffler down by the starter recoil. they added a brace to the exhaust which rusts a small one. Fix it or it will melt your bellpan. Very loud machine. Newer models are quieter.

2) Yes they had piston ring issues, if yours has been ridden its probably already been fixed. I am guessing mine did because it had WiseCo stickers on it.

3) My intake reeds were bad. Stock (SkiDoo/Bombardier) were crap, I got VForce reeds (300 bucks).

4) Buy latest ski and carbides (sno-tracker)

5) My Steering had a lot of play.

6) My forks were leaking and the right leg was all but empty.

7) Make sure you have the Rear snow deflector

The 04 is not the most desirable year, they really designed it for race. Loud with rising rate rear suspension. Most people either like the newest machines or the old fanner but with some adjustments the 04 can be as good as the newest machines. You can lower the suspension and get the quiet pipe. I am doing both of these this fall. Dont get me wrong the machine was so much fun! Quite frankly it was just like riding my Moto. All the worries I had about trail riding were unfounded. Except for glare ice. Stud your track if you have the chance.

Here was a description of my first experience on an extended trail ride.

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60082

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
Buy it

If you have the money just do it. You won't regret getting a one ski. These issues are really low dollar fixes for the most part, regular maintanance. I have an o5 than i installed a 151 zx2 on. stock sleds come with a 121 and go longer from there. I will do all i can to help if you make the deal. Later Les
:)

Premium Features