• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Love the PRO RMK, hate the reliability of the 800, will a 600 Pro work?

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I am in the market for a new sled and I have been researching the new sleds. I took the Plosris full day challenge ride and I LOVE the flickability of the Pro chassis but, I am scared to death of the long term reliability of the 800 motor.

I wish Polaris still made the reliable 700 motor and used it in the Pro chassis but, they don't. So, could a 170 lbs. guy that has been riding a modified 170 hp M8 ever be happy on a 125 hp 600 Pro PMK?

I am all about boondocking and couldn't care less about highmarking. However, I do want plenty of power to go the places my friends with 800 sleds go. In fact, in a lot of cases when boondocking I lead. Would the 600 Pro RMK in a 155" work for me?

T
Oct 11, 2013
i know there will be a lot of opinions on this....so hears mine:

A 600 is just that...a 600. I have a lot of miles on pro chassis 6 and 8's...and i feel....especially what your used to...that you wouldnt be happy with a 6. My advice by a new 8 get the warranty...ride the hell out of it. Personally, I have had good luck with my pro chassis 8's. in other words I think you answered your own question by asking the question. Good luck with whatever you chose...

Last edited:
S
Oct 16, 2008
I felt the same way after 4 years on a D8 I went for a 600. I will be going back to an 8 after this season. The 6 is a great motor and pulls hard once you load it up a bit but it's no 8. I do enjoy the cooler running snappy 6 but I miss that power. I would have no hesitation grabbing a 13 or 14.

P

Powder Buster

Feb 3, 2009
I think your best bet is to buy a new or used 800 and invest in an Indy Dan Long Rod engine. 3 year warranty, and from everything I've read you should be quite pleased with the performance. My pockets aren't deep enough for one just yet, but it's on the list.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Thank you.

I haven't ridden the new Cat M8000 yet (it seems really big and wide) so who knows what I will come up with. I certainly do like the power of my sled but, I like sleds that are lightweight even more.

If I could put a lightweight exhaust system on the 600 Pro and gain a few horsepower (132) and very get close to 410 lbs ..... hum.....

http://www.startinglineproducts.com...alogID=3&catID=19&productID=2383#.UpFeJMQtrHs

However, I am at 430-435 lbs. and 165-170 hp with my M8. I guess I could go back to my BOSS seat and take off the heavier 2011 seat, get rid of the full cover skid plate, go to lighter a BDX or Timbersled intake system, add some lightweight A arms and save another 20+ lbs. maybe I am better off riding the M8? Who knows? :noidea:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I'll limit this to New sleds... so I'll comment on the new hold-over 13's that there are a few of still in the "system" at the delears.. and the new 14's.

Ya know.... Have a look closely at the threads... and see if the 13's did, or did not, have a good "report card"

Of course there will be some issues... but in this day and age of instant feedback, I think you might be surprised with what you find.

Last edited:

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
660 it

That's what we did - took my wife's 2013 Pro RMK and added a 660 kit from Carl's Cycle. For the record, she rode a modded M8 previously, loved the power, but wanted something more nimble. The 600 is light and very nimble, but down on hp. The 660 kit changes the sled - it will run with our 2013 M800 everywhere, and a bunch lighter.

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
under 7 thousand feet or so in elevation, not over 18 inches or so of new snow, and not too long of a hill, the 600 is a great sled....yes, the 13 800's are holding up better than the previous years, but that's not comparing it to much, the previous 800's being perhaps the worst engine for reliability in recent memory....last years' record, is indeed better for reliability, but many sat in garages waiting for driveshaft and belt fixes, low snow in some areas, which contributed to overall lower than normal usage....be interesting to see how they hold up as the number of sleds excede 2k miles...the 600 or 660 ported and piped with a little clutch tuning will run with the 800 and sometimes better until exceeding the perameters listed above....the doo xm is dependable but not nearly as boondockable as the poo...the cat seems to have their clutching figured out, has probably the best engine in class, and the 14s' have snowability geometry figured out...oil delete, can, and a couple of lightweight parts drops 35 lbs for under $1500....just my observations having owned all three..:face-icon-small-coo

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Great inputs guys!

I really couldn't do the 660 kit right out of the box because it would destroy the factory warranty.

Why did Polaris get rid of the 700 and why was the 700 more reliable than the 800?

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
makes no economic sense for a manufacturer to have a 6, 7, and 800 all in the same chassis...people will walk past a 7 for the 8, even if it has issues..marketing wins that decision...the irony is that by the time poo detuned their 800 to the point they could stand to pay the warranty claims, it had no more hp than the 700, go figure....but what continues to amaze me is that poo never really made a good effort to improve the issue of the 800s short stroke piston geometry...a number of small performance shops have come up with similar fixes than seem to work very well for increasing the basic reliability problems, as well as giving a noticeable bump in hp...in the meantime, despite loving the chassis, i got rid of the poo because i couldn't stand the suspense of wondering which hell hole canyon i would have to hike out of or spend the night in when the turd crapped out on me....:face-icon-small-sad

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Wow Slyrydr, that's really saying something! Thanks

I'm certainly not here to bash but, to learn.

My priorities for a sled start with reliability, then nimbleness, then ease of control and finally power. For some reason everyone seems to get more caught up in power than other attributes of a sled.

Like you, I don't want to be left stuck in a canyon. The last time I looked for a new sled was in 09 and Polaris was having trouble with their 800 cc engines. So, I had to dismiss them and buy a Cat (my least favorite sled at the time) because their 800 motors just seem to run and run.

Now, here we are again 5 years later and I am looking at the 600 cc motor because there is no 700 and the reliability of the 800 is sketchy.

Which sends me back to my original question........

B
Mar 1, 2009
The polaris is by far the best sled,just turn up the oiler and ride the hell out of it.I have a 11 and 13 ,both assaults,not one problem with motors.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
As of late I've come to the conclusion that no clean burning 2 stroke will have long term longevity. You will at least need to replace pistons and rings on these things before we needed to 10 years ago. Some will go longer than otheres but eventually they will need pistons and rings. This is just my opinion. I've seen far to many CFI 800's and Etecs go in for new pistons and rings among other things.

With that said, I would get the 800 Pro and buy the extended warranty. That is what I did 2 years and 2500 miles ago. I have never missed a ride due to reliability of the sled or motor. But I did get a rebuild under warranty at the end of last season. I just kept and eye on it. Great sled.

D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
www.imnotrightinthehead.com
Instead of coughing up $$ for extended warranty here's what I plan on doing to my 800

1. Up oil pump setting. I think quantity is better than quality and I don't want to start another oil war by recommending an injection oil.

2. Premix with Maxima 927 (I actually make my own blend of syn/castor) with 1/2 oz /gallon

3. After first season, drop in a long rod kit. Not sure which one is best.

4. RIDE RIDE RIDE RIDE RIDE

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
I can tell you statistically the new pros are not even in the same league as the dragons on reliability. The pro is a way more reliable sled, and they have made many small refinements since 2011 to make them even better and more reliable. I ride with 6 other pros ranging from 2011 to 2013 and only two problems ever, one was a broken primary spring at 200 miles and one was a pipe temp sensor. I had a 2011 and it was flawless other than the pipe temp sensor, I just sold it with 2000 miles on it. I just purchased a 14 pro and cannot wait to get on the snow, my opinion they are the best out of the box sled ever made by any manufacturer. I am not being brand loyal either, but when a sled will perform that well with not even having to clutch it that is amazing. Then if you WANT you can spend money on go fast or look good mods. :face-icon-small-win

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I'm wondering if i would be happy with a used Pro RMK with a 660 kit. I was thinking maybe I could find a used on with low miles?

What year of Pro RMKs work best and are the lightest and most reliable?

GoBigParts, I guess I hadn't heard that ETECs are having engine related issues from using so little oil. Hum......

N

nuggetau

Sep 26, 2009
Idaho
If motor reliability really is your first priority then you already have the most reliable 2 stroke motor, the only reason you should be looking elsewhere is if you don't like how the chassis performs.

I don't remember what the ski stance is on your sled, but if you just want a more nimble feeling sled narrow the ski stance.

If you want a light nimble sled with a bullet proof motor from the factory.............. that sled doesn't exist!

Don't kid yourself, going from 170hp to 135hp, you will miss it........ a lot!

I do have one other option. Buy a 2011-2012 Pro RMK (maybe with a seized motor) discard the motor and buy a custom big bore from Carl's or PAR. Then you have a light weight nimble sled and superior power and reliability.

Used PRO - $5-6K
Custom Motor - $6k
Total = $12K, same as buying a new sled, but no warranty. But your friends won't be able to keep up = Priceless! :face-icon-small-ton

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
Buy a 800 and inspect or replace the top end every 1500 miles and enjoy the lightest, best handling mountain sled made.

F
Nov 27, 2007
I have a 2011 800 pro, with 3500 miles of trouble free engine time on it... I've had minor issues with a primary spring breaking and a secondary let go. Other than that it's a good motor... Now I am rebuilding it this year with an aftermarket kit and I hope that it will continue with the same reliability that I've enjoyed over the last 3 seasons.

Every manufacture has HAD issues and people that have those issues make it known that it's the worst sled that they ever had and don't buy the product because it's a POS.
Every new sled I've had, people have had problems with. I've owned all four brands, Polaris happens to be the latest brand and until another manufacture comes up with a better overall sled, I'm staying with the pro.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
I have a 2011 800 pro, with 3500 miles of trouble free engine time on it... I've had minor issues with a primary spring breaking and a secondary let go. Other than that it's a good motor... Now I am rebuilding it this year with an aftermarket kit and I hope that it will continue with the same reliability that I've enjoyed over the last 3 seasons.

Every manufacture has HAD issues and people that have those issues make it known that it's the worst sled that they ever had and don't buy the product because it's a POS.
Every new sled I've had, people have had problems with. I've owned all four brands, Polaris happens to be the latest brand and until another manufacture comes up with a better overall sled, I'm staying with the pro.

In addition, you only hear from maybe .1% of all Poo 800 owners on here and then everyone else just escalates it more, making look like a huge problem. Lots of keyboard engineers on here.

Premium Features