• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Batteries

B

bendelow

Nov 26, 2007
My sled (new ETec) does not have a battery. I'm told that i can wire two 9V Electronic application batteries in series, then connect them to the plug that ordinarily would go to a battery if the sled was electric start, then plug into my Garmin 60CSX and voila, i have battery power. I know i have batteries in the unit but they wear out quickly in the cold. Comments?

B

bendelow

Nov 26, 2007
batteries

i heard from Garmin today. They said the series voltage is too great. Car batteries are 12V. This would be 18. Too much.

S

Skippyspad

Dec 18, 2009
Loveland, CO
Just a thought, but what about different batteries in the GPS? I have a Garmin Colorado 400T. I bought a couple sets of Kodak AA size Ni-MH 2400 mAh rechargable camera batteries and charger for pretty cheap at Walwart. Even in mapping mode with the back light on they last for a good 8 hrs on a full charge.

H

hurricane2

Nov 27, 2007
Why not just get a small Yuasa motorcycle battery and velcro it somewhere
on your sled. Check out the YTX4B-BS, it weighs about 2lbs and has male spade type connectors on it. Just pop it on a battery tender while you are not riding. It should power the GPS for a good long while.

B

bendelow

Nov 26, 2007
batteries

great suggestions. How many volts is the cycle battery? 12? If so, should work. The sled has a plate for a battery for electric start. I could put it there.

T
Jan 5, 2008
Rockford, MN
Snobunje sells a kit for about $40.00 and it works great.
Plug your GPS in to the power port, and it runs off the battery.
The battery is being charged by the sled. This has a constant 12v DC
with your sled on or off so your GPS will stay on all the time.
This has been on the sled for 3 years and have never even put a charger on it.

heavy_haul

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2009
Meridian, Id
personally, I just use alkiline batteries. No wires to mess with. Just need to get a mount to mount my Rhino 130 to sled so I don't have to carry it in my pocket....

H

hiflight

Dec 5, 2007
Idaho
gps batteries

I think most gps units will accept 1. alkaline, 2.nimh and 3. lithium batteries. Using lithium batteries in my garmin 76csx will outlast standard alkaline batteries 6 times longer. (a little more $$ up front but worth it) Check your owners manual for directions on how to change battery type being used in your gps. lithium batteries are available in re-chargeable, or throw away when empty.

B

bendelow

Nov 26, 2007
Now I'm more confused:
1. I contacted Garmin as noted above and they said two 9 volts, in series, was too much. I looked at the 60 CSX owner's manual (P. 91) and it says "up to 26 volt DC external power".
2. One comment is about a Snobungie accessory attaching to the battery. The sled doesn't have a battery, which started this.
3. Another comment recommended using lithium batteries. The manual says alkaline or NIMH. No mention of lithium.
4. Another comment suggested alkaline. The manual says alkaline batteries lose significant capacity as the temperature decreases.

H

hiflight

Dec 5, 2007
Idaho
batteries

If you purchase the Snobungie Kit, its comes with a small battery you mount under the hood, and then wire that battery into the sled. My wife has the same GPS as you and has the Snobungie kit on her 98 AC Powder Spec.( also without a battery). I use the Lith. batteries with my Garmin 76csx, my GPS book indicates the Lith. batteries are ok, go into GPS menu and change type of batteries being used. (you have a choice of 3 diff. battery types) My wife can also use lith. batteries with her GPS without problems.

S
Feb 3, 2010
Sutton, AK
Now I'm more confused:
1. I contacted Garmin as noted above and they said two 9 volts, in series, was too much. I looked at the 60 CSX owner's manual (P. 91) and it says "up to 26 volt DC external power".
2. One comment is about a Snobungie accessory attaching to the battery. The sled doesn't have a battery, which started this.
3. Another comment recommended using lithium batteries. The manual says alkaline or NIMH. No mention of lithium.
4. Another comment suggested alkaline. The manual says alkaline batteries lose significant capacity as the temperature decreases.

I'm not familiar with your model Garmin, if the ext power port is a mini USB connector then the input power is 5-5.5 vdc (standard for all USB devices). The power adapter is designed to operate from 5-30 vdc input and produce 5 vdc output. Assuming that you have mini usb connector an external battery is not a necessity. All garmin units are designed to auto start and shutdown when plugged into a usb power source. In other words when your sled is running the gps is on and when you shut down the sled the gps will ask if you want to switch to internal battery. I use lithium batteries in mine and only go through 3 battery changes in a season plugged to the sled.

G

geberhard

Dec 18, 2008
Oxford, Mi.
www.theeberhards.com
Koso AC/DC converter

I purchased a Koso AC/DC converter. Have not wired it up yet though. Going to look to do that christmas time when I have some time off. Anyone use this option. I will be putting it on My 09 M.

Premium Features