• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Nytro powderlites DIES WHEN HOT

S

seano700

Dec 10, 2007
Peace River, Ab
Food for thought

I have a full set of 2 cool air vents (number plates, infront of clutch/oil tank,below/behind clutches) I think I had the same problem back when the weather was really warm. It was a warm night, no wind and plus 9 Deg C. I was pulling the family slow through the tress on a skimmer. It started idling really lean and died. It fired right back up no problem, I sped sthings up 30-40km/hr and never had the problem again. Snow was deep, with two adults and 2 chidren in the skimmer. Gotta love that 4 stroke torque for pulling!!! Maybe the vents saved me??

I've been having moisture issues as of late in my relays/connections. I purchased some bulk SLP pre-filer material and made made covers for the cheese grater vents on the hood. I also layed it in beside the headlight, pluging those large holes in the hood. Seems to keep the snow out, and everything else fairly cool. Hope this helps.

WingNutRacing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2000
Lolo, MT
I think venting is the key..

The last time it happened to me I was kind of messin around cruising on hard snow, watchin my wife hit some wind drifts and pullin wheelies. Then it died and wouldn't start. I know for a fact my fan wasn't working and that could be a big part of it. None the less mines is gettin a set of BR TECH's screens, let a bunch more air in there but keep some of the powder out, not to get those damn relay's wet.

Thanks for all the info guys, keep it comin...

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
I have a full set of 2 cool air vents (number plates, infront of clutch/oil tank,below/behind clutches) I think I had the same problem back when the weather was really warm. It was a warm night, no wind and plus 9 Deg C. I was pulling the family slow through the tress on a skimmer. It started idling really lean and died. It fired right back up no problem, I sped sthings up 30-40km/hr and never had the problem again. Snow was deep, with two adults and 2 chidren in the skimmer. Gotta love that 4 stroke torque for pulling!!! Maybe the vents saved me??

I've been having moisture issues as of late in my relays/connections. I purchased some bulk SLP pre-filer material and made made covers for the cheese grater vents on the hood. I also layed it in beside the headlight, pluging those large holes in the hood. Seems to keep the snow out, and everything else fairly cool. Hope this helps.

I put pet screen vs the pre-filter material to back the vents as I was finding the pre-filter was trapping any steam that develops under hood. There is always a small of amount of snow that sneaks in and generates steam. Next time I am out I will see if its any better.

I am betting a a headlight delete will help. 100$ for 1 vent is a bit steep imo esp with exchange and shipping costs. I remember seeing a few vents that where home made see if I can dig them up.

http://snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87715

This was one.

PS mine is MCX kit and also having the issue.

BR Tech Screens

Hey maybe you can try screens to stop the overheating problem.

NytroPromoFlyernew1copy.jpg

I

IceCap

Nov 27, 2007
B.C.
A lot of turbo installs have poor fuel line routing, some fuel lines have a loop that goes from a high spot down to the injectors. This high loop will cause vapor lock after it has been sitting heat soaking.
Also with a vapor lock you will not see proper fuel pressure on the gauge even though the pump is working properly.
If you reroute your fuel lines so there is no high spots for fuel to boil this may cure your problem.

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
The last time it happened to me I was kind of messin around cruising on hard snow, watchin my wife hit some wind drifts and pullin wheelies. Then it died and wouldn't start. I know for a fact my fan wasn't working and that could be a big part of it. None the less mines is gettin a set of BR TECH's screens, let a bunch more air in there but keep some of the powder out, not to get those damn relay's wet.

Thanks for all the info guys, keep it comin...

Is there a way to test the fan?

Any pics of that relay yet?

Tues

WingNutRacing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2000
Lolo, MT
relays

Here is a pic of the install.

Notice I had the relays laying down, I don't think this was a good idea.

Now I have them facing upward, with the wires out the bottom, and closer to the engine.

sorry about the pic, best I can do for now.

I can send you the 08 Nytro service manual if you want...

IMG_1429_640x480-1.jpg

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
As luck would have it I havent taken a pic from that angle on my mcx set up. If I am out to the shop today I will snap a photo. Not sure if the MCX kit has the relays in the same location.

Thanks for the pic.

S

seano700

Dec 10, 2007
Peace River, Ab
Fuel line routing??

Icecap brings up an interesting point with the fuel line routing. I routed my fuel line up and over the tank then down into the fuel pump mounted on the battery (just like it was stock) I thought this was the correct routing and never thought much about it. Perhaps this contributes to my slightly fluctuating fuel pressure. Has anyone ran the line from the tank to the pump direct, not over the tank?? If so how does it work?? Makes sense as the pump likely works better if it doesant have to suck fuel up and over. Thanks in advance!!

N
Guys I feel the best way to resolve the boiling fuel issue would be to put a return line off the end of the fuel rail. I dont have a nytro here now but if I remember correctly there is a screw in the end of the plastic rail either tap in there if possible or a new aluminum rail with an open end to return would cure all the fuel related issues once and for all, my nytro did this very thing last season.

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
Guys I feel the best way to resolve the boiling fuel issue would be to put a return line off the end of the fuel rail. I dont have a nytro here now but if I remember correctly there is a screw in the end of the plastic rail either tap in there if possible or a new aluminum rail with an open end to return would cure all the fuel related issues once and for all, my nytro did this very thing last season.

Prob a dumb question but a fuel line return to where? Return to the tank?

WingNutRacing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2000
Lolo, MT
well....

The fan relay and new sensor made absolutely no difference, whatsoever!!!!

Still gets hot, still dies, still junk.

It has to be the fuel pump, the lines aren't hot, the RB3 box is not hot, the pump is hot, after having some snow on it it goes back to working.

After a long pull in about a foot of fresh on top, it started acting up and died again. Nothing but the fuel pump was hot.

I bailed on relying on the fan to come on on it's own and wired to run all the time, still didn't make much of a difference.

Now I hear of another guy's Powderlites Nytro chittin the bed with possible catastrophic engine damage???????? WTF did I get myself into???

If these things need to swiss cheese the hoods from the get go, those screen kits should be in the kit!

alright, i'm done complaining.

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
Where is your fuel pump mounted again?

I deleted my headlight and made a screen. I will see if it acts up and the if the screen I made will live.

Here is my pump.

fuel pump.jpg

B
Apr 4, 2008
NW MT
Possible answer

When I first got mine running, I had a similar problem. I called MSD and found out that the tank vent is way undersized for that pump. I checked the vent out and found that the pump had been pulling sooo hard that it collapsed the vent line.

Prolly not the answer (too simple), but worth checking.

B
Apr 4, 2008
NW MT
No Wing, I had that one hiccup and mine has ripped for over a 1,000 Mi. I think the new map is a little lean though, so I've been run'n 10 lbs. safely, till I get my question answered.

BL

T

tranquillicer

Nov 27, 2007
Sask. Canada
Vapor Lock

This has to be vapor lock guys. Nothing but trouble today at -1 to minus -3c after a few hard pulls. Let her sit and it may start but dies and you have no fuel pressure. Take off all the panels and give it fifteen min, and it runs fine agaian. Going to run straight av gas tomorrow and see if it stops. Very frustrating though.

WingNutRacing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2000
Lolo, MT
?

I was running a 91 110 mix, why would straight av be different?

Can you solve the vapor lock with a larger vent line?

B
Apr 4, 2008
NW MT
Clutch side only.

Don't run straight AV (just a little), you'll be disappointed, your engine will feel lazy. Run Race Fuel. AV is designed to burn slower...made for high compression engines at high altitudes. Most likely you lowered the compression of your engine for boost and we don't run at aviation altitudes. This is a four stroke issue, works OK in 2-smokes.

Premium Features