• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Blew my motor

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Still haven't broke it down yet, but there is a hole in the lower part of the case in the front, and the mag side piston is fvcked. Will update once the cylinders are pulled off.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Rod roller bearing completely blew apart which caused the rod to blow a hole in the case. Then some of that metal shot up into the cylinder and jacked up the piston. Mag side was extremely dry but with a hole in the case its possible that's what dried it out so quick since the other cylinder was coated in oil. Thinking Cat might want to put a new injector in with the new motor just in case.

Was running 91 non eth at 11K ft.

Last edited:

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Rod roller bearing completely blew apart which caused the rod to blow a hole in the case. Then some of that metal shot up into the cylinder and jacked up the piston. Mag side was extremely dry but with a hole in the block its possible that's what dried it out so quick since the other cylinder was coated in oil. Thinking Cat might want to put a new injector in with the new motor just in case.

All of the oil lines intact?
Isn't there in injection line for each side of the case?

M
Mar 1, 2008
Canada
My 18' run hotter than my olds zuki engine. The warning temp light came to flash very quick, specifically on hard pack, ice scratcher don’t help a lot.

I was talking to my dealer about this problem and they were going to change my thermostat. When they did the work, they found that my coolant was contaminated, so they completely flush in same time

I ride few time until this fix. Cold start, the engine warm up quicker on cold start and i never has issues again with warning temp light

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
The 2016 service manual states the coolant light will flash at 167 F or 75 C and remain on at 194 F or 90 C. It's not that hard to understand, my question is why the change?

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
My 18' run hotter than my olds zuki engine. The warning temp light came to flash very quick, specifically on hard pack, ice scratcher don’t help a lot.

I was talking to my dealer about this problem and they were going to change my thermostat. When they did the work, they found that my coolant was contaminated, so they completely flush in same time

I ride few time until this fix. Cold start, the engine warm up quicker on cold start and i never has issues again with warning temp light
Validates my point.
Something wrong with ur sleds cooling system caused it to run hotter than a Zuke.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
The 2016 service manual states the coolant light will flash at 167 F or 75 C and remain on at 194 F or 90 C. It's not that hard to understand, my question is why the change?

The reason for the change is easy, EPA. The insistence that 2 strokes run clean(er) like 4 strokes even though that is impossible. The new engine uses much less oil for lube so dropping the running temps ala Polaris, now down under 120*F, is how they intend on keeping them alive longer. The new engine probably runs some tighter tolerances too leaving less room for thermal expansion without issues.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Rod roller bearing completely blew apart which caused the rod to blow a hole in the case. Then some of that metal shot up into the cylinder and jacked up the piston. Mag side was extremely dry but with a hole in the case its possible that's what dried it out so quick since the other cylinder was coated in oil. Thinking Cat might want to put a new injector in with the new motor just in case.

I guess the 1 million dollar question is, did the bearing fail from lack of oil? Or, did the bearing just fail? I haven’t heard of any other c-tech 800’s with bearing failures. My guess it’s just crapy bad luck. Warranty is a beautiful thing.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
The reason for the change is easy, EPA. The insistence that 2 strokes run clean(er) like 4 strokes even though that is impossible. The new engine uses much less oil for lube so dropping the running temps ala Polaris, now down under 120*F, is how they intend on keeping them alive longer. The new engine probably runs some tighter tolerances too leaving less room for thermal expansion without issues.

The tolerance from the 600 C Tec is the same as the Suzuki 800, ring end gap, skirt clearance, connecting rod bores, crank run out etc. I doubt the 800 C Tec will differ but its possible. The engine temp is based on the output of the engine, cooling system capabilities and thermostat range. This new engine is very similar to the old one it replaces,lay-down design, same bore ,stroke etc. The main changes are fuel and oil delivery, it does use less oil but I believe that's because it is delivered more precisely. It is getting to where it needs to be instead of everywhere like before. The fuel burn is similar to the old Suzuki at full throttle, the only place they improve is at lower RPM due to injector placement, piston design and ecm. We have a engine with similar hp, fuel burn, and the same cooling capabilities, why would we expect it to run cooler?

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah
The tolerance from the 600 C Tec is the same as the Suzuki 800, ring end gap, skirt clearance, connecting rod bores, crank run out etc. I doubt the 800 C Tec will differ but its possible. The engine temp is based on the output of the engine, cooling system capabilities and thermostat range. This new engine is very similar to the old one it replaces,lay-down design, same bore ,stroke etc. The main changes are fuel and oil delivery, it does use less oil but I believe that's because it is delivered more precisely. It is getting to where it needs to be instead of everywhere like before. The fuel burn is similar to the old Suzuki at full throttle, the only place they improve is at lower RPM due to injector placement, piston design and ecm. We have a engine with similar hp, fuel burn, and the same cooling capabilities, why would we expect it to run cooler?

Different thermostat.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
More efficient cooling design in the engine itself

Premium Features