• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

what are you guys using for batteries?

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
bike almost started at -29. same thing at -15. but just wont. so close. it sucks having electric start only.

2013 ktm 450sxf with 520 big bore. Rotella t6 synthetic 0w-40. antigravity LI-ION battery. is the LI-ION my problem?

should I be running a different battery type? a lb or 2 wont bother me... I just want my damn bike to start!!!!

Motogeek33

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2009
North Idaho
An AGM battery will usually work best in the cold. I run a Yuasa YTZ7S in my 500 EXC and it's been working great, although we haven't had any really cold days this year.

B
My OEM lead acid Yuasa has been doing the job, so far. I'm surprised you don't keep a small Li-Ion jump pack to help the main battery on those extra-cold mornings/starts.

I had a -15 F morning start and the jump pack helped a lot in getting the bike started as the cold had the battery struggling to start the motor. I'm also glad I have the kickstarter as a backup but if I had no backup kickstarter I'd for sure keep a jump pack at the ready.

My next battery will be Li-Ion.

Last edited:

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
bike almost started at -29. same thing at -15. but just wont. so close. it sucks having electric start only.

2013 ktm 450sxf with 520 big bore. Rotella t6 synthetic 0w-40. antigravity LI-ION battery. is the LI-ION my problem?

should I be running a different battery type? a lb or 2 wont bother me... I just want my damn bike to start!!!!
I have to use a jump starter with the lithium when it is that cold...I just wired the plugs to hang under the seat for easy access ..

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

S
Dec 20, 2016
I hear the earth x lithium batteries are working best. I have the stock lead battery and it’s been great at starting once warm. Another rider I know has a lithium in an adventure bike. He said when it’s really cold he turns on the headlight for a few minutes to wake/warm up the battery and then it fires. You might try that.

N

n16ht5

Aug 5, 2013
Pemberton, BC
WPS Featherweight Lithium Battery HJT9B-FP-IL off amazon. running in 4 FE501's and a 450SXF, so far not a problem after a year

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
My OEM lead acid Yuasa has been doing the job, so far. I'm surprised you don't keep a small Li-Ion jump pack to help the main battery on those extra-cold mornings/starts.

I had a -15 F morning start and the jump pack helped a lot in getting the bike started as the cold had the battery struggling to start the motor. I'm also glad I have the kickstarter as a backup but if I had no backup kickstarter I'd for sure keep a jump pack at the ready.

My next battery will be Li-Ion.

learned the hard way. first ride out... first thing in the morning, needed a boost off the truck. half way through the day I think I got snow on the battery due to broken airbox shroud, and I had no e start. needed to be pull started. what a disaster that was.

ordered up an antigravity XP 10 that I carry in my backpack. WAY overkill, but hopefully it doesnt let me down.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/710/44029/Antigravity-Batteries-Micro-Start-PPS

also, regarding easy boosting, id like to mount one of these under my rear fender for quick and easy access... no more removing my seat if I need a boost. just clamp on from the booster in my backpack and go (I wish it worked when cold, or else I could keep it in the cargo case on the skid... is my backpack really that warm?)

http://www.vte-europe.com/content/electromech/JSC/html/jumpstart_connector.php

B
learned the hard way. first ride out... first thing in the morning, needed a boost off the truck. half way through the day I think I got snow on the battery due to broken airbox shroud, and I had no e start. needed to be pull started. what a disaster that was.

ordered up an antigravity XP 10 that I carry in my backpack. WAY overkill, but hopefully it doesnt let me down.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/710/44029/Antigravity-Batteries-Micro-Start-PPS

also, regarding easy boosting, id like to mount one of these under my rear fender for quick and easy access... no more removing my seat if I need a boost. just clamp on from the booster in my backpack and go (I wish it worked when cold, or else I could keep it in the cargo case on the skid... is my backpack really that warm?)

http://www.vte-europe.com/content/electromech/JSC/html/jumpstart_connector.php

Oh man, I can't imagine having no kickstarter and then no backup charger.

I'm going to take the Weego charger that I do have and make sure that it is still topped up even though it has been less than a month from when I last charged it, just to make sure it is full, just in case as even with a kickstarter, sometimes, well, one never knows.

I'm so glad that Beta created a pushbutton seat release, no tools needed to get under the seat=bonus.

Excalibur

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2011
Lewiston, ID
This is what I use. you can find the harness at EarthX or other places. Hook leads to battery and carry the other half with jump battery. Nice weather seal plug for the center section of the harness. The small jump batteries all use the same plug. :face-icon-small-coo

Quick-Connect-Cale-attached-to-jump-pack.jpg

Last edited:
M
Oct 12, 2017
Toronto
I just bought a Shorai lithium-Iron battery for the KTM 300 2T. After much reading, it comes with the best reviews overall - as well the Earth-x is rated well.

Even though we have kick starters on the 300 XCWs the e-start saves the boot sole from faster degredation but should still be started with the kick when cold as the older starters tend to be weaker than the latest designs.

You can't beat this price in Canada (~$180CDN)

https://www.baysideperformance.ca/s...-bike-models?zenid=2d7e6cvmn7s8d25rmn59frtqo6

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
I just scored a Yuasa battery off ebay for $65, brand new, because it had a tiny blemish on one corner.

gonna try that and get rid of this anti gravity Li Ion battery and see if I have more luck.

having no kick start drives me crazy.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I just scored a Yuasa battery off ebay for $65, brand new, because it had a tiny blemish on one corner.

gonna try that and get rid of this anti gravity Li Ion battery and see if I have more luck.

Agreed the no kicker is stupid... Yaa 8 ounces saved...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007

So you can add kickstart to 2013 you know. Last SXF you can do it with. AGM batteries are best.

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
I know. its a lot of work and expensive. I think as long as I can keep the booster pack alive/warm, im good to go.

Its really not that bad. But I havnt had to do it on my 13. Starter failure would really suck!

M
Jan 14, 2004
Oddessey makes a really good battery. I used to run the PC310 in my Nytro, never failed me. I think they have a direct replacement for the YTZ7S which would be my other choice. I have a 7S in the Nytro now and it started it after 2 weeks at -20c. E-start is nice to have but not a deal breaker for me.

M5

H
Jan 31, 2017
Whistler BC
do you guys that have trouble store bikes outside or on trucks? Im just running a 4 cell antigrav in my 16 SXF and have yet to have an issue, but that being said its stored in a heated garage every night and i let her run while loading it and the 5 minute drive to the gas station. it helps my riding zone is only a 12 minute drive from my house. and if i wanted to get really wild i could just hit the alpine from my backyard. haha. whistler problems

B
do you guys that have trouble store bikes outside or on trucks? Im just running a 4 cell antigrav in my 16 SXF and have yet to have an issue, but that being said its stored in a heated garage every night and i let her run while loading it and the 5 minute drive to the gas station. it helps my riding zone is only a 12 minute drive from my house. and if i wanted to get really wild i could just hit the alpine from my backyard. haha. whistler problems

You are lucky that you don't have to deal with a bike or machine that has spent the night in -20 F.

We had a hard time with our bikes in -20 to -10 in the morning after the bikes having spent the night outside or in an unheated shed/garage.

One -10 morning I rolled the bike out of my 40 F garage, started it up, got it on the trailer and drove up into decreasing temps until I was at -15 F and had quite a time getting the bike re-lit. It was my first ride ever that day but the bike started and I had a blast.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
way up North

we have had a long standing sled and bike rule.

10 degrees F or less stay home, everything breaks. learned that logging.

makes battery a no brainer.

Premium Features