• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ZX Chassis Engine alignment question

R
Nov 16, 2016
I just installed a fresh engine in a 2001 Skidoo Summit 600. I believe that I have it fairly well aligned. I favored engine torque by setting the PTO side slightly forward.
Apparently there is an alignment tool for this, but I do not own this tool.

Are there any alternate "out-side-of-the-box" methods that you guys can suggest to me....... I.E., measurements, straight edge, off-set dimensions, etc?

Thank you in advance,

Rick E.

Last edited:

sledr4life

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
There are dimensions in the manual for the center to center distance and the offset. dont recall exactly what they are.

once those set, you could use a straight edge to make sure they are parallel.

always worked in the past.

you could also run the sled without the belt guard and watch the belt move move through the clutches. it will look crooked it they are not aligned correctly. make sure you have safety glasses on if you do this.

R
Nov 16, 2016
There are dimensions in the manual for the center to center distance and the offset. dont recall exactly what they are.
Thanks.
Would you be able to point me to an on-line manual that would explain the process?

once those set, you could use a straight edge to make sure they are parallel.
It is my understanding that we want to favor a slight PTO side FWD angle as to accommodate engine torque pull.

Is this correct?

you could also run the sled without the belt guard and watch the belt move move through the clutches. it will look crooked it they are not aligned correctly.

What I find interesting is that with the primary clutch, as RPM increase, the outer shiv moves toward the right side of the chassis.
Whereas with the secondary clutch, the inner shiv moves in the oposite direction as RPM increase.

I'm sure that there is good reason for this.

Meanwhile, if any of you can point me to an on-line manual for this machine, I would sure appreciate it!

Thank you,

Rick E.

R
Nov 16, 2016
I found a few YouTube videos, but they do not go into any detail regarding center-to-center dimensions, nor favoring the PTO side being slightly foward as to accommodate engine side-load torque.

I would sure appreciate any further suggestions from you guys who have followed the OEM procedure.

Rick E.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
There should be X-Y-Z alignment specs in the Doo shop manual for your sled. They are measurements taken off a 3/8" diameter straight bar placed between the secondary sheaves and extend past the primary sheaves.
A google search should find you the specs which typically also have a image of where to take the measurements. Make sure it is for the correct chassis, the specs change for different sleds.

B
Sep 24, 2009
Yakima Wa
Do yourself a favor & get your hands on the factory alignment bar. It makes it so easy. Post your location, maybe someone close by has one.

R
Nov 16, 2016
Do yourself a favor & get your hands on the factory alignment bar. It makes it so easy.
Post your location, maybe someone close by has one.

Good call on posting my location.
I am just east of Portland Oregon in Gresham.

I did end up finding several illustrations that may help.

It shows using a straight bar .375" X 19"

For the DSA/ZX platform it shows a center-to-center dimension of 10 - 9/64"

Does that sound correct?

Rick E.

R
Nov 16, 2016
OK....... I found this image.
It does show how the bar fits, and it looks as though it does offer a center-to-center dimension. (see line item #6 DSA/ZX platform.)

Does this look correct?

Attachments

• engine alignment.jpg
    engine alignment.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 103
Premium Features