• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo and track lenght??

T
Mar 22, 2008
Athol Id
Looking at buying a new 2010 Nytro and putting a Boondocker turbo kit under the hood. Question is, a 153" just plain to short? I like to pick tree lines and boondock. Don't mind the good big climb either. I'm coming off a 166" and feel the 153" might be a little easier to kick around. But I don't really want a wheelie monster either. I will more than likely be running 10-12lbs most the time. What's the consensus??
Thanx for the input!!
T

sledfvr

Lifetime Membership
Apr 7, 2008
NW MT
I'd say 162. It doesn't matter as much once you're moving, it's the getting going from a stop in deep powder that you'll need more track.

T

twsandrew

Nov 26, 2007
Absolutely 162 or more. It is not worth putting a turbo under there with the stock track. I have seen it and have owned a 162 boosted sled. Go 162 Camo extreme 2.5 and be happy

Transporter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
So you are all saying a nytro with a turbo and a 153 track wont go anywhere and he will be lucky to keep up with a stock sled with 162??????

Transporter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
Dont worry about the track being 153 you will be fine.Try it out.Snow conditions will be different every time you ride. Its not going to be bottomless fluff every day.If you hate it after a few rides then change it out.Why spend money if you dont have too.Most people get longer tracks for show and really dont need them.

M
Jan 14, 2004
My turbo sled is a 162 16 and my non-turbo Nytro is a 156 15 2.5 CE. I love the 156 and don't plan on changing it when I turbo the Nytro. I'm sure it'll trench a bit more but once you nail it you have so much instant track speed with a turbo that I don't believe it matters what track is on there. Besides everybody likes a good wheelie.

M5

Z
Oct 8, 2003
Utah
He said "I don't want a wheele monster". If that's the case, then he needs at least a 162. With the stock track in will be a wheele'in sob. I had a buddy ride a stock track boosted for a year, front ski's pointed towards the heavens all day. That's fun for a while, but when you want to climb (like the original poster said he likes to do) your completely out of control.

J
Nov 27, 2007
you will want more track, I have riden a 153 turbo and it ran on its back wheels all day. Like a scooter fun for a while but gets old fast. you will also want to get flat rails if you are going to climb much.

Transporter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
So even with m10 suspension or one of the other skids would it wheelie all day???What about the Baker setup?You climbing big chutes like in the videos?Looks like you have to decide if you spend 1000 plus bucks for a track and then upgrade suspension which I guess could be up to 5000 if you want.Or modify your suspension to be a bit better and keep track.Decisions decisions.

Last edited:
T
Mar 22, 2008
Athol Id
Thanx

Well guys I appreciate all the opinions. That is deffinately the benifit to this SW forum site!! I am very interested to see how the new 2010 Mtx nytro skid, track angle and new composite camoplast track that Yamaha has done on their R&D this year will hold up to the boost. I know all the 09' and older models deffinately needed the rear end updates but I am hoping with all these new changes for 2010 they took the time to understand that the only way a lot of people are paying this kind of money for this sled is to spend a bit more and put some horsepower under the hood.(130 stock just is not cutting it in the mountains!!) So I guess coming off a 166" the 162" is the optimal choice. Let's hope their new R&D can handle the ponies. If not I guess its just more money!!
Thanx again for all the help!!
T

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I'm not sold on the 162 or 174. I have a 153 turbo and it does wheelie a lot but so do the 162 with the stock suspension. I suppose if you are climbing stuff like you see in the videos you would want the longer ones. They also have helicopters when they screw up. Do you have one? The only time my nytro is bad is when I'm really scratching to get up something. Then it acts like it would flip over.A decent aftermarket skid would help a lot. I like the 153's because the seem more playful and better for boondocking but I don't consider them a sh*t holin sled anyway.
I would rather have a pg m8 for that. I'm sure this will start a fight but I've rode them both. I would take the nytro any day for climbing chutes. I guess it depends on what you want it for.

Transporter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
Thats right the 162 stock Apex suspension wheelies, lots of fun usually unless you want to do some steep climbs.I have m10 and it does what its supposed to do holds front end down.

Premium Features