• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Trails West Chris Burandt GN trailer

gqapex

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2008
I am looking for a little info from current owners of this trailer. I will be purchasing a GN snowmobile trailer in the next month or so. And I am looking for a little feed back from people who have owned one.

I plan on using this trailer year round, as a sled trailer in the winter and a camping trailer in the summer. Does the holes they have to let the water run out of the trailer let dust in the trailer when taking it up dusty roads? And at the same time in the winter do you get snowdust in there? How effiecient is the heater they put in these trailers? How does it tow both empty and loaded? Any one have any problems with powder coating coming off?

Looking for any input that you may have. Even if you have a different brand of trailer you like best.

Laundryboy

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2012
I have the 28 ft bumper pull version that I'm very happy with. One thing to consider if you're using it for camping and you're planning on sleeping in it is that the floor is not level. The trailer has no interior wheel humps above the tires and in order for them to be able to accomplish that the floor is sloped. When I've slept in mine I found it necessary to put a couple of boards on the downhill side of my cot. Not a big deal but very annoying the first time if you didn't go camping with what you needed to do it.

Last edited:

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
i had a trailswest for a few months and did not like it .... at all

aside from it rusting with in 2 weeks of picking it up at the factory and poor customer service there are a few design features i really do not like:

- as mentioned above the curved floor sucks. i thought it was cool before i used it, but its not better in any way that i can think of.

- the side doors over the fender well are sure high. there's a 2"-3" lip that you have to step over and its above the highest part of the floor so the door is PIA to get in/out of. not so bad for taller guys but if you take your family camping its a PIA.

- the front door on mine had huge gaps that you could see daylight through. in the winter it wasnt too big of a deal but in the summer it let piles of dirt/dust through. i tried to seal it with some foam strip tape and it helped but some of the areas were a good .5" gap.

- the spring hinges dont do as good of job as the cable assist on other trailers

- the heater on the floor uses some valuable real estate.

every one of the above issues i had were remedied on the new Charmac i had built.

fyi - heres the underside of my trailswest less than 14days of picking it up from the factory and driving it on 1 trip over dry roads:

and rusting up in the door hinge area:

gqapex

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2008
That is good info I was looking for. If your like me I hate rust even if it is just surface rust. The dealer that showed me one of these brand new Trails West trailers showed me the daylight you could see by some of the doors. And that got me thinking it might be worse later on down the road. And he said that's no problem we can seal that up with more sticky gasket. But I don't see that working that good.

Tell me more about this Charmac you had built. What length? Options? Fit and finish of everything? What flooring did you use?

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
That is good info I was looking for. If your like me I hate rust even if it is just surface rust. The dealer that showed me one of these brand new Trails West trailers showed me the daylight you could see by some of the doors. And that got me thinking it might be worse later on down the road. And he said that's no problem we can seal that up with more sticky gasket. But I don't see that working that good.

Tell me more about this Charmac you had built. What length? Options? Fit and finish of everything? What flooring did you use?

the charmac is a solid trailer. it pulls straight as an arrow even at 90.

overview of mine:

30'
7' interior height
1 1/8" floor poly covered
.050" exterior metal
double side doors
ducted heater
(6) led light strips inside (the most they had put in at that point in time)
rear load lights
rear lights that are connected to the reverse in the truck
dual battery boxes in floor

pic with my cousins f150

i'll try to get some better pics later. its a good looking trailer, cant beileve how many compliments it gets for being a simple white trailer

Last edited:

Laundryboy

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2012
I finally took the time to look at the underside of my trailer and it still looks brand new. No surface rust whatsoever that I can see. When I was trailer shopping one thing that drew me to the Trials West was the placement of the door. I ordered the car hauler package on my trailer and when I pull my car in, I can open that door which allows me to open the car door far enough to get out. That was a big deal to me as exiting the car would be nearly impossible otherwise.

gqapex

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2008
I finally took the time to look at the underside of my trailer and it still looks brand new. No surface rust whatsoever that I can see. When I was trailer shopping one thing that drew me to the Trials West was the placement of the door. I ordered the car hauler package on my trailer and when I pull my car in, I can open that door which allows me to open the car door far enough to get out. That was a big deal to me as exiting the car would be nearly impossible otherwise.

How long have you had your trailer?

Laundryboy

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2012
It was delivered just about a year ago now but it was used a lot over the winter.

C

carlc

Jan 23, 2008
helena mt
A friend of mine has had two burandt edition gn. They are the best trailer I have ever been around. We even have a 50k demo Nash aluminum gn that sits at the shop because the trails west is always being used. Neither of the trailers have had any rust anywhere, and they pull extremely well. All of the options are very well thought out both in ease of use and in location, nothing gets in the way, the door springs and hinges have never iced up, although we have had a decent Ice jam at the back of the trailer. IME there is not a better trailer out there than a trails west. They also make some of the best horse trailers around so that should say something there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features