• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Removing fuel pump and fuel filter

W
May 27, 2009
Maple Valley, WA
I am having problems removing the fuel filter from the fuel harness and from the backside of the fuel pump that attaches to the back of the tank on my 2006 Polaris 700 RMK? Is there a special tool or technique to remove the filter and the other fuel line from the pump? I have to replace my fuel pump and filter as the plastic fuel line literally desentegrated inside the tank. Any ideas would be great. Also is there a trick to getting the fuel pump assembly and float back into the tank without the float falling off while placing assemly inside the tank? Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks

F

f15ejedi

Oct 6, 2008
Anchorage Alaska
NAPA carries fuel line disconnect tools that slide down into the connection and release the line. I think its 5/16 of 3/8ths. I bought a set with all different sizes so I was sure I would have what I needed. About $10 for the whole set if I remember correctly. Mine are the plastic ones which I think worked much better than the metal one I borrowed from a mechanic friend. :face-icon-small-hap

sleddude

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima WA
Bought mine from Shuck's. Powerbuilt 3/8 brass fuel line disconnect tool. Pump and lines all slide back in easy just make sure the lines are flat with the pick-up pointed down and your good.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
The best source for the filters is High Perf engineering... I think like $26 for the filter.
http://www.hiperf.com
Fuel Filter / Hose Assembly(Reference #241-206)
POLARIS MODELS
700 Classic, Fusion, Touring, RMK 2006
900 Fusion, Switchback 2005-06
900 RMK 2006
$20.96
241206.jpg

Any auto supply store has the 5/16" tool you need for disconnecting...The best ones are the cheap plastic ones that come in a set. I think they are like $7

This pic shows the set that is the easiest to use on the 900's...because the hose is so tight to the tank outlet. These plastic ones seem to fit much better than the "plyers type" .. Lisle tools makes a good set as does KD tools.
37000L.jpg

37000in.gif

=======================
If you can find them, the best set is the Lisle angle set.. makes it easy to get into the tight space.

39400c.jpg

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/lis39400.html

======================================

The plastic ones are MUCH easier to use than this "plyers" type
DONT get this kind.
61059.jpg

M

miko700

Dec 16, 2009
Washington cascade concrete
Another angle maybe?

Wheredafugwe......ironically i had perused through this thread just a few days ago right before i decided to change the fuel filter on my sled for this year. I own two sets of the plastic ones and the top female end of the line popped off simply as all others i have done on cars always seemed to. i get to the bottom male end and ran in to all kinds of struggles surprisingly. it is a 5/16 size inner diameter but the "outside"!! of the casing on my plastic ones are too thin to be effective i figured this out after staring at this situation and using my "magic" curse words for luck! lol. Finally i wrapped the tool with about 7-8 wraps off electrical tape and trimmed off the excess with a razor blade and put the "slit" back..badda bing done .....I'l betcha the ones MH recommended are the money for this reason

Premium Features