• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 big bores? No talk all season about them?

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Oops. Struck a nerve with Chadly. I’ve been super happy with the performance of the four 872 engines I’ve had. I had Roosterbuilt set up the clutching and we ended up with 4 grams more than the base setup on their Big Bore Kit. I’ve also seen first hand how they out perform stockers in deep snow side by side. My 872 174 XM has more pull up top then my 850 175. The 850 seems to be a little stronger down low and in the middle tho. They don’t yank like a turbo but they run dawn to dusk day after day after day. I ride with my two sons and it would have been a nightmare to try and keep 3 turbo sleds running.

D
May 24, 2012
You’ve had 2-3 turbo sleds over the last few years. How many good rides have you had in total??? I think you told me about 1 this year. Most people don’t have near as much issues as you but turbos have a LOT OF ISSUES. Of the 4 Trygstad Big bores I’ve done I NEVER had ANY issue. Not a single one. I still have one(2015 174), and two of my buddies have the first two I built. Those where 2013 XMs. One got new pistons at 2200 miles and still rips. Dave recommended 1800 miles and that is spot on. Owner went about 200 miles too far. He was burning oil and losing power. It never broke tho and the owner of that sled is rediculously hard on sleds. The fourth one went to Alaska a couple years ago and I’ve lost track of it.
My 174 872 XM with about 1300 miles has at least as much power as my 2018 175 850 with 500 miles.
Chadly the fuel mixing comment cracks me up. I buy 20 gallons of race gas at the pump. I put approximately 1 gallon per 5. Either put a gallon in a fuel jug, just pour it in the tank while fueling from the pump or put 10 gallons in my 60 gallon tank on board the trailer. Couldn’t be easier. 20 gal of race gives me 100 or more gallons of fuel for the sleds. That’s a ton of riding.

What type of piston failure could be expected after 1800 miles?

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
What type of piston failure could be expected after 1800 miles?

Dave told me to put new pistons in them at 1800. You send in your jugs and they renickel and hone them IIRC. My buddy rode the sled to 2200 miles and it was losing power and burning oil at that point according to him. It didn’t blow up just didn’t work right. He sent in his jugs and got them back ready to go with a new set of pistons and I believe that was under $500.
Dave also said to rebuild the bottom end at 3000 miles. Both hillbillies like me and my friends and flatlanders like FIZ should follow their engine builders recommendations for maintenance and service life of parts.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Ok. I’ll bite. Smoking=burning oil is what I meant. I thought it was clear but I’ll explain for the remedial students. ETECS don’t smoke, or burn oil. They will leave black streaks on the snow sometimes but running well they don’t smoke at all when hot.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
Ok. I’ll bite. Smoking=burning oil is what I meant. I thought it was clear but I’ll explain for the remedial students. ETECS don’t smoke, or burn oil. They will leave black streaks on the snow sometimes but running well they don’t smoke at all when hot.

remedial students lmfao
all 2s burn oil.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
OK, further explanation is required. So a well running two stroke burns fuel and a small amount of oil that gets trapped in the combustion chamber. The ring or rings keep MOST of the oil in the cylinder below them and the heat generated is below the flash and/or burn temperature of the oil. As the pistons, rings and cylinders wear over time, let’s say 1800 ish miles in an 872 Trygstad Big bore that ring seal is compromised and MORE oil is exposed to the hot combustion gas and will smoke significantly more than lets say a newer 872 Trygstad Big bore ETEC. Some liquid oil is also blasted out of the exhaust ports into the exhaust pipe and will burn there but not usually enough to see white oil smoke coming from the exhaust.
Hence a heavily smoking 872 Trygstad big bore with upwards of 1800 miles is what I like to call a CLUE. That clue is pointing towards rebuilding the top end or you can listen to Dave and just trust that his advice on engine longevity is accurate when discussing the 872 Trygstad Big bore ETEC. OF WHICH I AM A HUGE FAN!

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
That’s a great question. I’ve never seen a smoky 850. Some of it has to burn in the pipe and at 19-1 you’d think they’d smoke. My ProLite was really smoky. Especially before it got warmed up and it had oil delete and I mixed it at 28-1 which I thought was pretty rich oil mix

F
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
OK, further explanation is required. So a well running two stroke burns fuel and a small amount of oil that gets trapped in the combustion chamber. The ring or rings keep MOST of the oil in the cylinder below them and the heat generated is below the flash and/or burn temperature of the oil. As the pistons, rings and cylinders wear over time, let’s say 1800 ish miles in an 872 Trygstad Big bore that ring seal is compromised and MORE oil is exposed to the hot combustion gas and will smoke significantly more than lets say a newer 872 Trygstad Big bore ETEC. Some liquid oil is also blasted out of the exhaust ports into the exhaust pipe and will burn there but not usually enough to see white oil smoke coming from the exhaust.
Hence a heavily smoking 872 Trygstad big bore with upwards of 1800 miles is what I like to call a CLUE. That clue is pointing towards rebuilding the top end or you can listen to Dave and just trust that his advice on engine longevity is accurate when discussing the 872 Trygstad Big bore ETEC. OF WHICH I AM A HUGE FAN!

Sounds like you got this allll figured out.

And I do listen to my engine builder. I have been building them for over 30 years..........

Last edited:
J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
My hotdogger in my turbo smokes my burritos if I do too long of a pull without hood venting. Sometimes can burn the wrapper onto the burritos actually. They are still good and I still eat them.

Nobody can argue that turbos smoke the burritos more after long pulls, especially if your hotdogger is mounted by the Y pipe.

Argument solved!

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Going to send my 927 back east for independent dyno testing as I have found a well clutched stocker will run neck and neck with the 927---go to the TMS website and read Dave's statement on a stock G4 850---- porting a stock 850 does not justify the time and expense of pulling the engine out, also says porting not worth the loss of low end torque, throttle response and increased piston wear. so now we move on to the 927, punch it out to a 85+ mm piston and we have all this power on tap, now is there room to port the 927? or is there minimal power gains in bore and compression alone? is the bottom end grunt from the increased compression? also rode with a ported 850 this weekend and it will drive away from the 927 start to finish. have had very noticeable gains in the TMS872, the TMS927 is a waste of $2300 and once you voice this you become a Red Neck Hillbilly that doesn't know anything!!!! and you see the true colors of your former Engine Builder.
The 927 works, and works well if yah spend the time to tune the clutching, I was disappointed in the 927 at first. Now a well setup 850 won’t come close to a 927.

mtncat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2001
Wyoming
going to a larger bore with no porting changes over a stock 850 makes how much more power over a stock 850? correct clutching can bring out the power in any sled, including a stock 850, have close to 2000 miles on the 927 with several clutching changes to come up with the right setup for where I ride, also have played with the stock 850 extensively, timing, base gasket, clutching and gearing, in the end the TMS927 is a waste of $2300.00.
Dave will blow a lot of smoke about bad clutching or incorrect fuel management when the real question is why no porting changes over a stock 850 to support the bigger bore 927.
The 872's were very good when properly setup, the 927 not so much!!

venom1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
ft mac,alberta
Just picked a 2019 sum x considering a 927 but there isn't a lot of info on them. Have had a couple different sleds with BD turbos and never had any real issues at all. Back in the day there was a bit of tuning involved but really that's pretty much a part of owning a modder sled. These days there seems to b little of that. It's hard to stray away from a turbo at 6-8000ft. Not sure how these 850's hold up to boost. I c mtntk has a pump gas available for the 850 now. Uses a small Garrett 2554r turbo.

dave@trygstadmotorsports

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2012
www.trygstad-motorsports.com
TMS 927

The 927 works, and works well if yah spend the time to tune the clutching, I was disappointed in the 927 at first. Now a well setup 850 won’t come close to a 927.

Caper 11

Thanks for the updated info on doing some clutching and setups on the TMS G-4 927. We have many very satisfied customers in the US, Canada and overseas and at this time are building repeat 927 customers new builds for there 2019 Summits.

To get the full potential of the TMS 927 you do need to run our developed fuel controller with our specific map and correct fuel offsets. Updates are always shared with our customers.

Dave Trygstad

dave@trygstadmotorsports

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2012
www.trygstad-motorsports.com
2018 RMSHA RACE RESULTS

2017-2018 RMSHA Hillclimb Season just finished up with great results posted by the talented Team Ski Doo racers laying down great runs all season long on the TMS-G4 927.

Jackson Hole Wyoming March 25th 2018.

2nd for Tom Roby in Pro Masters Improved 1000.

2nd for Jay Mentaberry in Pro 1000 Improved.

Pinedale Wyoming April 1st, 2018.

1st for Tom Roby in Pro Masters Improved 1000.

2nd for Trent Handsacker in Pro Masters Improved 1000.

Tamarack Resort Idaho April 8th 2018.

1st for Tom Roby in Pro Masters Improved 1000.

Grand Targee Wyoming April 22, 2018.

1st for Tom Roby in Pro Masters Improved 1000. Also awarded points championship for season!

1st for Jay Mentaberry in Pro 1000 Improved. Also awarded points championship for season!

Great job guys on the way to finish out the RMSHA Hillclimb Season!

The TMS G-4 927 package that these talented group of racers are using are basically the same as our consumer-blend kits are running over the past two seasons.

* Polaris Factory came up with an Twin Pipe engine package for the 1000 improved racers last season, Ran well but came up short to the above talented racers and the TMS-927.
Wait until the full race version of this great performing engine package is released this coming season on the RMSHA circuit!

sledheadextreme

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2010
Idaho
www.rklab.com
Just picked a 2019 sum x considering a 927 but there isn't a lot of info on them. Have had a couple different sleds with BD turbos and never had any real issues at all. Back in the day there was a bit of tuning involved but really that's pretty much a part of owning a modder sled. These days there seems to b little of that. It's hard to stray away from a turbo at 6-8000ft. Not sure how these 850's hold up to boost. I c mtntk has a pump gas available for the 850 now. Uses a small Garrett 2554r turbo.

I highly recommend AGAINST the big bore. Either leave it stock and tune the clutching or go with a turbo. I promise you won’t be happy with the BB. The clutching that comes with the kit is complete garbage. It’s revs but doesn’t have any pull. With the recommended setup, a clutched stock 850 will run better and climb higher than the big bore (also first hand experience). If you still think you want to buy one I’ll make you a good deal on mine, it only has 300 miles on it. It’s the most expensive paperweight I own.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Unfortunately, any gains made in horsepower are quickly nullified by the clutches and gearing. There are few, if any, tuners that can get the 850 clutch heat below 200degrees on a long, wfo high load situation.
If anyone can do it, they would have made a video. There are no videos. Can you believe it?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Premium Features