• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cleaner handlebar setup

N
As much as I love my sled, I absolutely hate cats stock bar setup. The bar itself is weak, and the controls are incredibly cheap/bulky looking. Thankfully if that is the only complaint that is nothing to lose sleep over.. last year I installed the OFT brett tourcotte kit which is awesome.

I plan on changing the bar setup to a 4" or 5" riser paired with CFR Boondockers as I am 6'2 so the stock bars are a bit too low despite the fact I prefer low rise setups. I was wondering if anyone had some pictures of diy setups to clean it up. I searched but many of the threads I found were archived and pictures were gone, at least on my phone they are. Thanks!

richardderkevorkian

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2010
Soldotna AK
As much as I love my sled, I absolutely hate cats stock bar setup. The bar itself is weak, and the controls are incredibly cheap/bulky looking. Thankfully if that is the only complaint that is nothing to lose sleep over.. last year I installed the OFT brett tourcotte kit which is awesome.

I plan on changing the bar setup to a 4" or 5" riser paired with CFR Boondockers as I am 6'2 so the stock bars are a bit too low despite the fact I prefer low rise setups. I was wondering if anyone had some pictures of diy setups to clean it up. I searched but many of the threads I found were archived and pictures were gone, at least on my phone they are. Thanks!

I went with the lowest rise pro bars on mine, I tried cfr's but hated not having a mountain bar. I roll my sled often to get unstuck and they also seem to be the strongest.

B

brendan ross

Dec 1, 2007
pine pass area b.c. canada
I'm running the oft turcotte kit with a 5'' riser and cfr boondocker bar a rsi throttle block and munster short brake lever. wired in a rocker switch in the dash for my hand and thumb warmers. I think it looks clean and hasn't given me a problem was a fair bit of work as i cut a lot of the harness out but the end result was awesome. I'm 5'11 and find it just tall enough id probably go a bit bigger riser for 6' and over

12341636_10153695036881083_4365238914797504559_n.jpg 12509446_10153748373961083_6191680414302281202_n.jpg

N
I'm running the oft turcotte kit with a 5'' riser and cfr boondocker bar a rsi throttle block and munster short brake lever. wired in a rocker switch in the dash for my hand and thumb warmers. I think it looks clean and hasn't given me a problem was a fair bit of work as i cut a lot of the harness out but the end result was awesome. I'm 5'11 and find it just tall enough id probably go a bit bigger riser for 6' and over

Got any other pictures of the setup.. particularly the relocate? The brake side is my priority, I can put up with the throttle for the time being.

I don't think I would want a 6" rise and 2" bars, 6-7" of rise is all I want even though I am tall. I just force myself to always be in the attack position which I found helped my riding capabilites a lot. Got used to lower bars further up on the sled after riding a 3" pfm summit xp with a older rmk bar setup for years. Loved those tear drop ends.

I think if the bars are too tall it pushes you back too far on the machine, at least I find it does with me. Then again I haven't really sized uplease what my sled now would be like with even more than 6" rise.

dgibbons

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2012
Cheyenne, WY
I'm in the process of updating my bar set up as well. Doing a lot of debating on what I want. I don't like the bulkiness of the stock switches and throttle block but I can't say they bug me enough to justify spending money on new ones or doing a relocate. I'm 6'2 as well, have BM skinny boards so I'm up a bit higher on the sled but still want the bars to get a bit lower than the lowest setting on the telescoping post. On steep sidehills and down hill sidehills the bars seem to be in the way (especially with the wyoboy/kmod steering mod). I'm looking at doing the zbroz post delete with 2" riser and rsi bars. Would like to maintain the telescoping post for adjustability but haven't found a decent way to get bars any lower with it. Anyone have any better ideas?

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
Rsi really is the only company I know that offers stuff that will work for this.

Some of the components you can get from other sources to help cut some cost. But rsi is a one stop shop.

The rsi reverse button is the same as a kawasaki dirt bike kill switch or the same as a Polaris race sled dragon button. Rather that $25 you can have them for like $6.

You can go to a marine supplier and get yourself some marine grade rocker switched and dash mount those with some tricky wiring. But the biggest issue is the throttle block. Rsi has the best option as theirs is heated. Heated block allows you to run a worry free Tss delete with no risk of your throttle locking at wot.

I too run cfr bars on 4" rsi risers, but have not yet don't control deletes

N
I too run cfr bars on 4" rsi risers, but have not yet don't control deletes

Could I see a picture of it? I may not bother with it once I size up the bars installed. Now my debate is 4" or 5" riser and hoping to add a half inch to my post forward kit. I'll be installing the cat boards as well which will put me up another 3/4" I believe.

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
Could I see a picture of it? I may not bother with it once I size up the bars installed. Now my debate is 4" or 5" riser and hoping to add a half inch to my post forward kit. I'll be installing the cat boards as well which will put me up another 3/4" I believe.

Ya. Just on holidays and will snap some pics and confirm dimensions when I get back.

Should also mention I do not have stock cat T post. I modified my adjust able post with the Zbros T post adapter which is a bit lower than hcr post again.

This is the only pic I have.

20150312_161508.jpg

badaltitude

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2010
north dakota

I had a couple questions on the turcotte relocate. Will my bars be the same height with the turcotte kit and my stock risers (16 limited) or will they be lower? Also, how do you like the kit? When you turn the bars, do the risers now have a swing to them like the ski doo?

N
I had a couple questions on the turcotte relocate. Will my bars be the same height with the turcotte kit and my stock risers (16 limited) or will they be lower? Also, how do you like the kit? When you turn the bars, do the risers now have a swing to them like the ski doo?

I think mine are a it lower than they were stock, and after a ride or two once you get used to how they steer I prefer it much more over the flat steering. I never was a fan of flat and was happy to change it, the only thing I have to change now is make my bars higher hence why I posted the thread.

badaltitude

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2010
north dakota
I think mine are a it lower than they were stock, and after a ride or two once you get used to how they steer I prefer it much more over the flat steering. I never was a fan of flat and was happy to change it, the only thing I have to change now is make my bars higher hence why I posted the thread.

Gotcha. Thanks. On that subject, I have tried rai bars on my last p, and actually preferred the stock bars. I'm going to try the turcotte post forward and I think if I need to go taller I will run the stock bars and a taller riser. But with the new boards up 3/4" or so and shorter bars I think it will be just right. I'm 6'6" and the stock bars were a little tall for me. Found myself getting hit in the chest a lot when on a real steep side hill or over obstacles on a steep climb. 1" lower might be about right.

N
Gotcha. Thanks. On that subject, I have tried rai bars on my last p, and actually preferred the stock bars. I'm going to try the turcotte post forward and I think if I need to go taller I will run the stock bars and a taller riser. But with the new boards up 3/4" or so and shorter bars I think it will be just right. I'm 6'6" and the stock bars were a little tall for me. Found myself getting hit in the chest a lot when on a real steep side hill or over obstacles on a steep climb. 1" lower might be about right.

Wait, what? 6'6" and the stock bars hit you in the chest? Is that even possible? Haha I like the feel of the stock bars, I just have seen on numerous accounts how fragile they are and how easy they snap when rolling a sled over to get it unstuck. Plus CFR bars feel awesome.

badaltitude

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2010
north dakota
Wait, what? 6'6" and the stock bars hit you in the chest? Is that even possible? Haha I like the feel of the stock bars, I just have seen on numerous accounts how fragile they are and how easy they snap when rolling a sled over to get it unstuck. Plus CFR bars feel awesome.

Yea it's possible. Happens all the time. Plus I have way more control with shorter bars, I have tried them way up and way down, and keep going back to lower bars. I ride a pretty low set up on dirtbikes too and always felt more in control. Personal preference I guess. And I have bent stock bars before, just like them I guess. Haven't tried The cfr bars but they do look good. When I was on poo, I rode the stock pro tapers, they felt nice, but a shade high for me also.

badaltitude

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2010
north dakota
I would say tho the only time I wish the bars were higher, or that they are better for me, is at the end of the day when there is a hammered out trail back to the lodge and all I want to do is stand straight up.

N
I would say tho the only time I wish the bars were higher, or that they are better for me, is at the end of the day when there is a hammered out trail back to the lodge and all I want to do is stand straight up.

I'm with you there, I'm a few inches shorter than you and also prefer a low rise compared to others.. like you said much better control. I ordered the new cat boards so the debate I have is 4 or 5" riser with the 2" rise boondockers.

I ran a 1" rsi riser with stock pro bars on a 3" post forward Summit XP and found that worked well too.

I believe the stock bars are 4.5" so I think 6" would be perfect for me. Can't say I've hit my chest but the grab bar has jabbed my gut though. I ride dirtbike with stock YZF bend, I found straighter bars did more for me than height especially on the track.

CFR bars just look so good too haha

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I'm 6'-3" ish and I have a 6" riser with the t-top post and flat bend handlebars. Sometimes I'd like them an inch lower for more technical riding but the height I have now works well all around. If your bars have a 2" rise I wouldn't go any taller than a 4" riser.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
B

brendan ross

Dec 1, 2007
pine pass area b.c. canada

it really depends on the way you position the riser with the post i found it hard to ride and the bar swing to be excessive if i had the riser strait up but it was a nice height.

i run the riser perfectly in line with the post that is why I'm stuck with going to a little bit taller riser.

with the post forward and the riser inline i still find I'm further forward on the sled with vertical steering.

i was honestly a vertical post man through and through but after giving this a chance i have come to find once you get used to it the machine is almost effortless to ride and much more natural feeling. but let me tell you it took me a solid 4-5 days of riding to get the hang of it. and a lot of falling off and stupid little mistakes that would have been easy for me with a vertical post at the time.

with that being said i will probably never go back to a vertical set up i absolutely love the post forward kit now that I've taken the time and worked through my struggle of making the switch

Premium Features