• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rekluse, Radius CX, is on the way.

B
I'll admit, I never thought that in 1,000,000 years that I'd get a Rekluse. Why would I?, a highly skilled dirt rider and a snow biker with a seasons worth of experience, I know how to use a clutch and don't need no auto-clutch. What changed?

My wife bought herself a new TTR 125 LE and I put a Rekluse Core EXP 3.0 in it and fell in love with how it works. Being able to stop and not have to pull the clutch in and maybe hold it for long periods of time like I do when I'm either stuck in traffic as my Beta 500 RR-S is street legal and due to the design of the clutch, the bike wants to creep even with the clutch disengaged, so the Rekluse will help and I'll only have to keep the brake(s) on like I already have to do.

Then, after reading how much easier a time I have read that others have in rocky/rooty/gnarly trail and that not having to worry about clutching or stalling, and how one can just roll on through the nasty sections is nothing but a good thing for me. How the bike can be easily loaded and not having to worry about covering the clutch or even modulating it at all is another positive. Lastly, when in the snow, and needing to maneuver in tight quarters and not needing to again, worry about clutch, clutch, clutch, did I mention how nice it will be not needing to worry about the clutch will be?

I'll admit again, had I not tried the system in my wife's bike, I'd never consider the system but now I'm looking forward to getting it and putting it in and then riding it. It will be so neat.

SuperchargedWS6

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2010
What I have found is it is good in some technical situations but more times than not I am still using the clutch in the classic way. There are many times I want the bike revving and then be modulating the clutch. For this I dont use the rekluse. Having the bike engage at near idle does not give me the control I need at times. With the rekluse your control depends on off idle throttle response. I find the way most engines respond to throttle off idle is not as exact as you can be with a clutch.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

B
I can see the limitations of the Rekluse and how it is not an end-all to the clutch.

It is going to be wild, the first time I get into any rocky sections and just being able to roll on the throttle and not need to use the clutch at all since I can count the number of times I've ever had to slip or fan my clutch in all my miles of riding horrible trail.

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
few thoughts... 1. the point of it is NOT so you can just sit it in first gear and not have to find neutral on your breaks or watching a 45 second hill climb or whatever. I believe thats hard on the plates. ive never been a huge fan of the ol "put it in first and just hold the clutch lever in forever while slipping the plates" trick.... just put it in neutral!!!

2. if youve got several years experience on a bike... youre gonna have a hard time learning to ignore and forget the clutch lever and trust the rekluse... I do at least. I also got a left hand rear brake, but I just cant do it. the LHRB feels too weird, and completely ignoring my clutch lever feels weird too... even with a rekluse, I still ride 100% normally and feather the clutch lever like crazy and forget I even got the rekluse and chances are you will too... hopefully!! its not something you wanna rely on much. itll save you once in a while where you normally woulda stalled, and thats about it IMO.

I dont even know ive got it most the time... but im sure its saved my ass a few times and I didnt even realize it. ya dont know what you got till its gone sorta deal. I think thats the main feature of the rekluse (IMO) is no stalls... not so you can completely change your riding style and ditch the clutch lever.. thats just lazy and doesnt offer the fine tuning or power delivery and rev adjustment that a clutch lever does.

all depends on your riding style I guess. im stubborn and cant drop habits like modulating the clutch lever and pulling it in when chit starts to hit the fan. I think if youve been riding for a few dozen years, itll be tough to adjust. these hydraulic clutches are a dream to use anyways... my buddies ol cable operated yz clutch is torture. literally.

also, its superrrrr annoying not being able to bomb start the bike, as well as not EVER being able to lock up the rear wheel while youre stopped and bike is off like on a hill or something... putting it in 1st wont stop it from rolling anymore, or rolling backwards. it kinda sucks sometimes.

B
I appreciate the thoughts as I have no idea of what to expect other than the fun experience I have had using the wife's TTR 125 with the kit in it and being able to just sit, with the bike in 1st gear is nice.

Most of us with current/late model Beta's can find neutral while in gear and the bike running. If one is rolling along, knowing they want neutral, have to find it before coming to a stop or else we have to shut the bike off, find neutral, then start back up. An almost $1,000 solution is the Rekluse-ha!

Now, while puttering along on the TTR 125 in the field, it is odd to just ignore the clutch and just pull up or press down on the gearshifter to shift but I do it knowing that I can, and that I'm lazy. Here I am, I can ride any trail here in New England, no problem, no matter how steep or rocky, so my thinking is that it will be nice, when I know that I can just either keep the bike in a gear, or upshift/downshift, and not have to worry about the clutch at all. Also, now that my kids are riding, and I plan on riding with them as much as possible and don't care if I ever go riding with my only dirt-riding friend I have, as I'll be puttering around with them, having the Rekluse will be so nice instead of always having to clutch. Lazy has become me.

No LHRB for me. I have never been in any situation where some need it so I know I can do without. Same with not worrying about getting caught on a hill and needing the assist that the bike getting caught, stalled in gear would help. I rack my mind thinking of any of the times where the bike in gear have helped me and I'm sure there are some and all I can hope is that I'll be very aware of that situation and try and not to lose my bike down any hill in the woods/anywhere.

I can also imagine how nice it will be in the snow, not needing to clutch at all is going to be awesome.

Last edited:
B

barefooter

Nov 27, 2007
Sherwood Park, AB
Just reading the comments. Installing the Rekluse does not preclude yourself from using the clutch the "classical" way. You can still pull in the clutch lever to slip, increase revs etc. To be honest - I ride my Rekluse like a standard clutch most of the time. It is where I screw up in the tight stuff that the Rekluse comes in so handy

B
Yes, the Core EXP 3.0 that I had put in my wife's TTR 125 LE allows me to use the clutch, like a normal clutch, albeit with a slightly stiffer pull, but it still works as will the Radius CX.

It comes for me tomorrow and I'm so looking forward to putting it in and using it. I will really like that the CX will/should-retain the same feel as the stock clutch.

B
Install took me 2 hours this afternoon/evening. It was easy as I had made sure to read the instructions before I got the kit so I knew what I had to do and had a new bottle of DOT4 for my hydraulic clutch. Rekluse does a great job with the instructions.

I had just followed the steps for the break in and the first time I put the bike into 1st gear, and let the clutch out and the bike just sat, was glorious. When I twisted the throttle and the bike just rolled alone, it was a revelation. I'm going to love my bike even more with this Radius CX. The other great thing about the CX is that the clutch pull is the same and maybe even a bit lighter so that is also awesome.

I'm now looking forward to riding to work and getting out and riding again.

I may even move my gear shifter down a spline or two as I had realized with the wife's bike, how much my entire body would move when using the clutch to shift, and when I no longer had to pull the clutch in and only had to either pull up or press down on the gear shifter, the economy of motion from not needing to pull the clutch in then move the gearshifter was made even easier when I had adjusted the gearshifter down so I will probably move it down one spline and try it out after work tomorrow.

B
I used to knock the Rekluse. 'How could any self respecting rider need something that does the clutch for them? I'm a superior rider, I'll never need one of those things.' Had my wife not bought herself a new TTR 125 and me putting in an EXP Core 3.0 and trying it, I'd never have entertained the idea of a Rekluse in my Triple Sport Beta 500 RR-S, no way. But here I am and loving it so far.

Beta has some issue with the bike wanting to creep forward at idle in gear, even with the clutch in, it is something in the design of the clutch and for 2018+ they had addressed the issue. That neutral cannot be found at a stop until the engine is off makes me shutting the bike off anytime I need to stop for any length of time.

The Radius CX has addressed both these problems and then some. I now have zero creep while in any gear at a stop. With the red springs in one side of the EXP and the blue heavy springs in the other, the clutch engages at 2,100 or 2,200, which for me is instant, instant and smooth engagement. I know that I can't get the bike to move out as smoothly and easily as the Rekluse does it. If traction was great before, it will now be even better.

I had started, and will stay with the Rekluse starting point of having the clutch slave adjuster turned in one full turn from the "tight spot" plus 2 notches and so far, that recommendation has been perfect and I have no plan to mess with that free play gap, not when it is all working so well already. That the kit has their clutch slave along with the external adjuster that is moved with a 4mm allen wrench is great and so far, I still have the nice, light clutch pull and the same feel/modulation I had before the install of the kit.

It is going to take just a wee-bit of getting used to how, when rolling or coming to a stop in any gear, to not worry about how the engine idles down to just below the normal idle for a moment before the Rekluse does its job and releases the clutch and all is well. So far I'm loving it and I've only ridden 4.4 miles on the street to work this morning.

The Radius CX is going to be awesome on the snowbike this upcoming winter, now I know what the hype has been about all these years for those that use and love the system. I'm glad that Rekluse made the CX-their top of the line unit, and have dialed it in so well. It's also going to help with riding with the kids as they ride so slow, I'd be constantly shifting from 1-2, 2-1, now I can leave it in 2nd and just bumble along, happy as can be with my bike just rolling right along with them.

I am going to move my shift lever down one spline and see how it feels as I know that the lever is too high to take advantage of the no more clutch necessary as I have been meaning to move it but now that the Rekluse is in, I really need to do it and will when I get home at 1:30pm today-my early day here at work.

Attachments

• P1140063.jpg
    P1140063.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 27
  • P1140064.jpg
    P1140064.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 42
B
It will take me a while, if ever, to get over how nice this Rekluse system works. It would be different if I was into using the clutch, but like an old cat, because I have at least 250,000 miles on streetbikes and however many years riding on the dirt/snow, I sure as heck don't care about the skill it takes to use/modulate/fan/abuse a clutch. I want a dirt/street/snow-scooter with gears and with the Radius CX, I have it. It's just so sweet to twist and go, no drama, no fuss, no hand(delicate-dainty fingers)/wrist/forearm fatigue at all.

I had adjusted the gearshift lever down-I should have done this a long time ago but now with being able to shift with no clutch, with the gearshifter moved just a spline or two down, it makes up and downshifting so much easier with no clutch necessary.

I had no free play gain so once I had dialed it in the up and downshifting got even better and smoother. There had to be a good reason the Radius CX costs so much as it has improved the gearbox on my bike. I've also now got the hang of checking the gain/free play with my hand and just need to check it every now and then but for now, the entire system feels great.

I was rolling around the yard/driveway/street yesterday and was "trials-ing" it up, seeing how slow I could ride the bike, stopping without putting a foot down, then moving as slowly as I could just to see how the system works and it is pretty amazing in how smooth and consistent it performs. It is going to be great on the trails and in the crappy stuff that I hate riding but have no problem doing it. It is also going to be amazing in the snow and all the slow speed maneuvering.

B
It has now been a good month with the Radius CX, and I've had a good amount of time on both the street and the dirt with the Rekluse and it has been just nothing short of incredible.

I have resorted to using the clutch lever when up and downshifting on the road. Since there is full traction on the road, it feels easier on the entire drivetrain when after starting off, I use the clutch lever. Off road I can shift with no clutch and not think about it for a second as the rear wheel will give during either and up or downshift so nothing has a chance to get hurt.

The Rekluse has been a saviour when riding with the kids as I can lug down in any gear, even though they have been both averaging 20 mph on the hayfield perimiter so before, when I needed to constantly shift between 1st and 2nd gears, I don't have to do that anymore but the Rekluse just makes things easier overall.

In the slow-going is where the thing outright shines. I can just leave it in 1st or 2nd and just twist and go or start and stop and not need to worry or pull the clutch lever at all. It makes things very stress-free. I now understand why guys loved it for loading the snowbike and I can only imagine how nice it will be in the snow.

For now, nothing but props for the Radius CX.

B
Hardcore ride update from a heavy, the heaviest rain I had ever ridden in, ride from this past Wednesday.

The Rekluse is, once again, a game-changer for me off-road.

I'm so lucky that I have a legal trail system with all one-way trails that are for both quads and bikes though some are trail-bike only, but it was raining hard, like 1-2" per hour-hard Wednesday from 3-7 while we were riding so while it was not too muddy, the sand and forest floor was slick and there were puddles and streams everywhere, no matter, the Rekluse proved its worth all day long.

I had better flow than I have ever had as I had found myself not needing to make the 2-3 shift as much as I used to as with the Rekluse I can really lug, without slipping or needing to slip the clutch and the bike just rolls, and rolls, and rolls, all so effortlessly as the trails were so well laid out that they just nicely twist and turn with a nice berm on most all the curves.

Where it shines the most is stream crossings or really tricky areas where the three quads we happened to tag along with, and even my buddy on his 380 KTM would either stall, or get stuck, they would all watch me just roll along, nice and calm like it was nothing as they all knew I had the Rekluse in my bike. Never mind that my clutch fingers, hand and arm were spared the fatigue of the constant clutching in the slow stuff. I just had more fun without the worry or strain.

It is going to be so nice once the snowbike kit goes back on.

K
Apr 2, 2012
Can you start the bike in any gear? When snobiking its a pain to get into nutrul some times when stuck. I guess you wont stall the bike as much with the recluse.

B
Good question but, YES, my bike can be started in gear. My bike is one that does not need the clutch pulled for the bike to be started and I now know that when I ride on the street and have the bike on the kickstand, to make sure the bike is in neutral or when I press the starter the bike can, and has, jumped forward.

The nice thing about the auto-clutch/Rekluse is that it disengages the clutch so that if one's bike can be started in gear, it will.

The thing is with the Rekluse is that the bike won't stall in the first place. It is another benefit of the system. Unless the bike stalls from some other reason, it won't stall from bogging it or the other reason(s) why we stall our bikes/snowbikes.

I'm fortunate as my bike comes with a tilt-sensor so that when the bike is on its side for 7 seconds it shuts itself down-pretty awesome feature I must say.

I was riding in a 1-2" per hour rain on Wednesday and I had laid my bike down in the slop at least 4 times. As I was quick enough to pick the bike up before the 7 second count, the bike would stay running and when the rear wheel would touch down the bike would not stall or try and pull me forward unlike a bike with NO Rekluse.

Premium Features