• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Moving to Colorado

albernhagen

Premium Member
Jun 6, 2018
Glenwood Springs, CO
Hi All,

Wisconsinite flatlander here that is planning to move out to Colorado this summer. I've certainly been addicted to trail riding in Wisconsin and had an 850 Indy snowchecked for this fall. Anyway, moving out west means I'll need to change my riding plans. I'm real excited to get into mountain riding from everything I've read on here and from what friend's have told me. I have a number of noob questions. I'll be moving out to Glenwood Springs, so it sounds like I'll be close to some good riding areas.

• I'm guessing it makes sense to first buy a used sled instead of something new as I'll probably beat it up learning?
  • Any thoughts on summits vs. pro ride RMKs vs. axys RMKs?
  • What other kind of gear and stuff do I need to switch to?
  • What's the best way to find people to start riding with and learn from? I might have one connection through a friend, but hoping to find others that I can try and learn and improve from.

Thank you!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Hi All,

Wisconsinite flatlander here that is planning to move out to Colorado this summer. I've certainly been addicted to trail riding in Wisconsin and had an 850 Indy snowchecked for this fall. Anyway, moving out west means I'll need to change my riding plans. I'm real excited to get into mountain riding from everything I've read on here and from what friend's have told me. I have a number of noob questions. I'll be moving out to Glenwood Springs, so it sounds like I'll be close to some good riding areas.

• I'm guessing it makes sense to first buy a used sled instead of something new as I'll probably beat it up learning?
  • What's the best way to find people to start riding with and learn from? I might have one connection through a friend, but hoping to find others that I can try and learn and improve from.

Thank you!
That ought to get you a few replies!:face-icon-small-hap

Elkaholic4life

Twin Peaks
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2013
Portland, OR
Hi All,

Thank you!
Welcome aboard.

This is an awesome forum but I have to warn you, it's summer, so it slow. Don't get discouraged because there's not a bunch of people jumping in with there input. The Doo's have always felt goofy to me. I'm in no way putting them down! I own a 2013 pro rmk with a 36" front end and exit shocks all the way around. In February I bought a new 2018 axys. I like the way my old pro handles better. The axys has better power and is smoother. By this winter the axys will have some upgrades :face-icon-small-hap Start reading up on avalanche safety and the gear needed. There is a ton of info on this forum about that stuff. When the snow starts getting close this place will come alive. You shouldn't have a hard time finding people to ride with then. I know I've made some GREAT friends here :face-icon-small-hap

Good luck, Stay safe and ask questions

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
I'd see if your dealer will swap out your snow check for a mountain model? Aren't they about the same rediculous price anyway? Then you won't loose your snowcheck fee?
Be easier to transition riding styles on a platform your allready used to.

Use the gear you allready have, if you feel overheated and have a sore neck then make the decision to find something lighter.

Many people use motocross style helmets due to the weight factor (lighter). Some go the modular route with heated shields too.

It's a what works for you type of thing, start with what you have and go from there
Hope your Co experience turns out!

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Buy whatever sled you want. Has no bearing on going to CO compared to anywhere else out west.
In Glenwood, you're literally minutes from the Flattops, one of the best riding areas in CO. Just take the Transfer trail N out of town u til you run out of snow. Or you can get into other parts of the Flattops from Gypsum or Rifle.
Ride west out if town and you can take the long way into Grand Mesa or drive around to the West side of the Mesa.

Those are a couple of the 2 biggest riding areas in the state, and there's another handful of great areas that are big enough to get lost in within an hour.

Congrats on the move! Lived a half hour East of there for a few years in Gypsum. You'll be hard pressed to find, on average, any better riding anywhere.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Welcome aboard.

This is an awesome forum but I have to warn you, it's summer, so it slow. Don't get discouraged because there's not a bunch of people jumping in with there input. The Doo's have always felt goofy to me. I'm in no way putting them down! I own a 2013 pro rmk with a 36" front end and exit shocks all the way around. In February I bought a new 2018 axys. I like the way my old pro handles better. The axys has better power and is smoother. By this winter the axys will have some upgrades :face-icon-small-hap Start reading up on avalanche safety and the gear needed. There is a ton of info on this forum about that stuff. When the snow starts getting close this place will come alive. You shouldn't have a hard time finding people to ride with then. I know I've made some GREAT friends here :face-icon-small-hap

Good luck, Stay safe and ask questions

Elk sums it up very well.
Also take an avalanche class and join the local snowmobile club. You will not regret it. $.02

albernhagen

Premium Member
Jun 6, 2018
Glenwood Springs, CO
Thanks for all the info, guys. I think I'm most worried about finding people to ride with that are willing to accept a newbie. I know that it's going to be starting over going from trails to mountain riding, but it's still going to be awesome. Any thoughts on used vs. new? I wouldn't mind having a good and reliable new sled, but I'm wondering if I'm going to beat up the sled some learning and if it's worth having something used for that reason?

DDECKER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2013
CRAIG COLORADO
hey man! I wouldn't stress about finding people to ride with, there is a lot of good dudes on here willing to take out new guys. I would happily take you riding and help teach you how to ride and some avalanche safety stuff. As for the sled choices im simply not going to say much I understand your new to the mountain riding thing
face-icon-small-tongue.gif
face-icon-small-wink.gif
...... So just let me know closer to winter and we will work something out :)

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
As far as the sled goes.... If you were already snowchecking an indy 850, just ask your dealer to change your order to an RMK 850. More then likely Polaris hasnt built your sled yet and you could get your order changed.

Its going to be MUCH easier to learn how to ride in the mountains on a new machine and just because your new doesnt mean your going to wreck it. Just ease into it and do what your comfortable with.

Finnlandr

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 21, 2009
Parts Unknown
Hi All,

Thank you!

Here is a good video...

https://youtu.be/mo2XTMhRm78

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
+1 for changing your snowcheck to a mountain sled.

Stuff happens, but i wouldn't worry about wrecking a new sled. Just don't get to eager in the early season, and let the base build up.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Hi All,

I hope it is a really good paying job because you would have to pay me a fortune to live in GS. If you are moving from Madison, GS is the same mentality without the big college. At least it is pretty and there is good sledding as mentioned.

Thank you!

You should switch to a new mtn sled. You probably wont hurt the sled as much as fall off it trying new moves for a while.

I ride a Cat, switched from Polaris. The 850 Poo with a long warranty and understanding dealer should be fine. I can't ride Doo's, good choice for a beginner though.

You do not need fear to stay warm, you need light gear to stay dry in. Klim and Motorfist are the two biggest names right now. Prepare for sticker shock though...

I doubt you will have any trouble finding people to ride with, even willing to help you learn the ropes.

Hopefully it will freaking snow next season!

Lake Powell

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2016
Silt, Colorado
I live in Silt, CO. and work in GWS. There is a Glenwood club but not very active but There is the Rifle Snowmobile Club and also Mt Sopris Club. When you get here call me Nine seven o 379 seven 2 17. Peter. I'll get you hooked up with riding out here and avy classes, etc. Definitely see if you can change that indy to an 155 RMK.

Last edited:

jdog1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2007
If you can afford the new sled go that route for sure. The newer sleds are so much easier to ride and learn on especially for a newby. Talk to dealer about changing to a mountain sled. Look into mike duffy for some avalanche training. He has some free beginner seminars sometimes. Its eye opening what you will learn. Get at least a beacon, probe, and shovel to start. Snowmobile clubs are good ways to meet people. This fall there will be a snowmobile show in denver with lots of great stuff. Buy one if chris burandts schooled videos it goes over some of the mountain riding skills. Hit me up and can meet for a ride and show you some things.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I live 1/2 hour from GWS. The first thing you should do is join a club. The Flattoppers are one of the bigger Colorado clubs. The Powder Hounds are in Eagle County and stay active. You can join both too at a reduced rate. This is a good place to get information on Avy classes, club rides and events. Plus you are supporting efforts to preserve riding.

Most important is that you get avy gear and learn to use it. You need a beacon, probe and avy bag in that order (all three for the win). Mike Duffy and others provide some good training.

As far as the sled is concerned, just buy one of the 800 two strokes. Don't buy a 4-stroke. Yamaha makes good sleds and excellent motors. But they are heavy and don't do well with new mtn riders. Integra is the new Polaris dealership in GWS. I'm getting my snow check from them. They are really jumping in feet first and pushing hard to win customers. Doo is 1/2 hour west in Rifle. Kyle's shop is small but with good loyalty. AC can be found in Eagle. Gary runs a small family shop that has been around for a while.

You will want some good gear from Klim or Motorfist. There are others with descent gear but the two I mentioned have been the best two for some time. It all depends how much you ride and if you are a trail guy or want to go boondocking! I rode with a guy from Michigan that was in excellent shape, young and rode hard on the trails. He struggled in the mountains and was wore out each day. Just saying that it takes some adjustment, but it is all worth it!

albernhagen

Premium Member
Jun 6, 2018
Glenwood Springs, CO
Thanks!

All of this information is super helpful, thanks! I've talked to a few dealers and I might be able to find an 850 RMK for the season even thought I couldn't get Polaris to change up my order at this point. I'm for sure planning to take the avy courses and get all of the gear, including the airbag. I'm sure I'll post on here more as winter approaches as I would really appreciate and buy some beers for anyone that is willing to allow me to tag along and start to learn the ropes. Thanks!

albernhagen

Premium Member
Jun 6, 2018
Glenwood Springs, CO
Sleds

I have started looking at some sleds, especially being the summer when I may be able to still find one in Wisconsin for cheaper. Any thoughts on how different the Axys sleds are? E.g. how much difference between a 2014, 16, 18, etc.? Or are they all pretty much the same? I probably could still snowcheck a new 850, but with all the moving/job changing, I wouldn't mind picking up a '16 with 1k miles for less than half of the cost, especially as I'm learning and get a chance to figure out what I really want.

Last edited:

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I have started looking at some sleds, especially being the summer when I may be able to still find one in Wisconsin for cheaper. Any thoughts on how different the Axys sleds are? E.g. how much difference between a 2014, 16, 18, etc.? Or are they all pretty much the same? I probably could still snowcheck a new 850, but with all the moving/job changing, I wouldn't mind picking up a '16 with 1k miles for less than half of the cost, especially as I'm learning and get a chance to figure out what I really want.

Axys sleds started in 2016. I have one that I would shoot you a great deal on:face-icon-small-win The 2016-2018 are all pretty much the same.

albernhagen

Premium Member
Jun 6, 2018
Glenwood Springs, CO
Sleds II

Any thoughts on a 500 mile '17 155 with 36" A-Arms for $8700 vs. a 1000 mile '16 163 for $6500? It doesn't seem like there's too much difference on a '16 vs. a '17? It seems like the 163s are preferred but a lot of people, too?

Premium Features