• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

WALKER EVANS 'NEEDLE' SHOCKS NOT AVAILABLE ON SNOWCHECKED 2019 PRO RMK'S

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota
Here is a email I received from Polaris today.
b3a9d76a5b694195b1559384d1c6130c.jpg

gerrman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Canada
A question on identification. Are all Walker Piggybacks with 5/8" shafts the "Needle" version?

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
So I’ve always just let my really good shock guy have his way with my suspension and adjusted spring rates as needed, giving him feedback on what the sled does to make adjustments...with that caviot what’s different/mind blowingly better about a needle shock vs just a compression adjustable shock?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
So I’ve always just let my really good shock guy have his way with my suspension and adjusted spring rates as needed, giving him feedback on what the sled does to make adjustments...with that caviot what’s different/mind blowingly better about a needle shock vs just a compression adjustable shock?

It’s just something guys can bi+ch about.
I noticed my revalved (by ron zugg)(compression adjustable) shocks vastly outperform my revalved (by a different guy) needle shocks on my old sled.
(A buddy owns it so i compare)

C
Jan 24, 2017
So for a novice in the shock department and a guy who is unlikely to change to aftermarket shocks, is the WE adjustable worth the extra $500 over the Monotube?

Thanks,

06redrevx

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2008
I've have monos, non needle clickers and true needle clickers.
I could tell a real difference with the true needle 5/8" shaft.
The standard clickers IMO are not a real significant improvement over the monos.
If you are snow checking a new 850 then you get the new SLS springs which may be an improvement also
I plan on revalving my monos with the coin I saved not buying clickers

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
With everyone so goo goo ga ga over having the lightest sled possible I'm not sure why piggyback shocks are on the table.. especially ones of a lower quality like the Walker Evan's. If it were me I'd get the monotube shocks and have them revalved to my weight and riding style. Unless you are into big jumps and hard set up snow.. then go for compression adjustable all day.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
So for a novice in the shock department and a guy who is unlikely to change to aftermarket shocks, is the WE adjustable worth the extra $500 over the Monotube?

Thanks,

They aren’t mind blowing, but the extra fluid volume and adjustment still make it worthwhile IMO. You notice they’re a little more plush in the bumps. Off trail...probably not a huge difference. You can’t upgrade much in the shock world for $500....so unless you’re willing to spend more cash on shocks, its not a bad upgrade. Much easier to sell if you ever want to do so and go for more high end shocks ...another thought

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
They aren’t mind blowing, but the extra fluid volume and adjustment still make it worthwhile IMO. You notice they’re a little more plush in the bumps. Off trail...probably not a huge difference. You can’t upgrade much in the shock world for $500....so unless you’re willing to spend more cash on shocks, its not a bad upgrade. Much easier to sell if you ever want to do so and go for more high end shocks ...another thought

Food for thought - Andy (GasShockRepair) out of Rigby has a few ideas in mind for the 1/2" shaft that I'm curious to try out. He actually told me by late this season, his tune on the 1/2" was outperforming the 5/8" tune.

He suggested I get the clickers and let him revalve. We will see what he can do!

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Food for thought - Andy (GasShockRepair) out of Rigby has a few ideas in mind for the 1/2" shaft that I'm curious to try out. He actually told me by late this season, his tune on the 1/2" was outperforming the 5/8" tune.

He suggested I get the clickers and let him revalve. We will see what he can do!

Any idea what he charges?

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Any idea what he charges?

$50/shock I think. Its silly cheap. And his work unreal good.

EDIT, I think the above poster is right - $35/shock. That said, I'd email him and see. I just picked up my dirtbike suspension from him. Full revalve front and rear, plus seals and bushings - $250. Unreal!!!

gerrman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Canada
A question on identification. Are all Walker Piggybacks with 5/8" shafts the "Needle" version?

No answer yet. It really doesn't matter. Had Holz service and revalve all the shocks. With my Raptor TRSprings they perform like butter. Bought this SC sled used and it came with 5/8" shafted PB Walkers. I was was just curious, that's all. Thanks

Premium Features