For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Avalanche and Survival Saftey, first aid and survival information

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2017, 12:17 PM
Currently: Not set.
906wildchild has a reputation beyond repute906wildchild has a reputation beyond repute906wildchild has a reputation beyond repute906wildchild has a reputation beyond repute906wildchild has a reputation beyond repute906wildchild has a reputation beyond repute906wildchild has a reputation beyond repute906wildchild has a reputation beyond repute906wildchild has a reputation beyond repute906wildchild has a reputation beyond repute906wildchild has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Default Electronics and Transceivers

**I'm sure that this has been discussed before but I can't seem to find any old threads.**

My question is, what electronics are safe to be on near a transceiver? I've heard mixed answers on cell phones, some say OFF, others say AIRPLANE MODE, and some don't worry about it at all. Are GPSs okay to have on? SPOT? Anything else that may disrupt the signal?

I've asked this question at Avalanche awareness classes and have yet to get a solid answer.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 11-30-2017, 01:21 AM
Currently: Mentating
Snowbird11 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbird11 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbird11 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbird11 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbird11 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbird11 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbird11 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbird11 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbird11 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbird11 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowbird11 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

the short answer is no electronic near a transceiver is acceptable. the reason you get different answers is that each transceiver model is affected differently. bca has the least affected transceiver on the market but that comes at a cost. they also have one of the shortest receive ranges.

personally, i keep transmitting devices a minimum of 8" away from my transceiver when transmitting/sending and i try for 12-20" when receiving/searching. searching while on your running sled is not going to end well.

electronic devices that are not sending/searching a signal will interfere less than ones that currently are. metals, especially magnets con be problematic. several manufacturers use magnetic on/off switches and people have inadvertently turned off a transceiver with magnetic closures in jackets.

also consider where you keep your devices on you. if you get pretzeled up in a slide will your leg pocket end up near your other electronics in a chest pocket. there are a lot of ways/places to wear a transceiver including pockets and harnesses. inside a backpack is a bad place for a transceiver unless you're at the bar. it's too easy to become separated.

i know i'm starting to drift but i hope you're question is somewhat answered. if not, there are some good resources online to check out. steve achelis with www.beaconreviews.com has a lot of good info and specifics on different models/brands. yours will be in there too.

Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snowbird11 For This Useful Post:
906wildchild (12-01-2017), RanOutofTalent (12-06-2017)
Old 12-01-2017, 02:12 AM
Currently: Not set.
906wildchild has a reputation beyond repute906wildchild has a reputation beyond repute906wildchild has a reputation beyond repute906wildchild has a reputation beyond repute906wildchild has a reputation beyond repute906wildchild has a reputation beyond repute906wildchild has a reputation beyond repute906wildchild has a reputation beyond repute906wildchild has a reputation beyond repute906wildchild has a reputation beyond repute906wildchild has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Yes, that answers my question pretty well.

Rate this post: Yes | No