• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Front suspension setup? Trio?

S
Sep 18, 2018
Finally decided on a snowbike. Buying 18/19 Timbersled 120 ARO

What's the best option for front end setup financially and Performance.

Yes, my front end is valved for how I ride in the summer months.

I'm leaning to go with the timbersled Trio as of now.

What's everyone doing and how do they like it ?

R
Apr 18, 2016
I think you have to pick a lane and run with it but whatever you decide the front end needs to be substantially stiffer that your summer set up. If you love your summer set up and are going to have this bike as a snowbike in the winter and your dirtbike in the summer, modifying your existing forks is not an option in my opinion. The stiffer forks need different valving and switching all that w springs back and forth sounds like a PITA to me.

So you are down to 2 options in my opinion.

1. Trio....I have zero experience, seems pretty easy on install, I have no idea on price, adds weight (no idea how much) seems like a viable option to me.

2. Get a seperate set of forks off Fleabay or wherever and set them up snow specific, forks with wheel slide in, forks with ski slide out and vice versa.

I run a snow specific bike with a snow specific set up. If I had my bike as an all season I would have a snow specific front end, I would leave a master cylinder attached to my skid in the back, and I would have a snow specific subframe if the bike I rode needed airbox mods to fit the skid the way I wanted. Then I would just swap the front out, remove the skid with the master, slide in my whole rear section wheel included, bolt up subframe and airbox and go. Seems like you could swap over in a couple hours easy like this.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Airpro

Seems like a lot of people had pretty good success with the stock forks and just the air pro. A cheaper option anyway.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Just air pro is a very viable option but one of the bigger issues becomes the need for more dampening. Air pro is just more spring. It definately helps maintain ride height and is a very good upgrade for the money.

What I found was that without super stiff valving in my forks (mega stiff valving) is that the airpro made the forks a bit bouncy feeling. How air pressure ramps up vs spring creatues a little bit of a pogo stick affect.

The trio is a nice balance as your getting bolt on spring rate (air) and dampening Also since it is a "evol" style air shock you can custom tune in the ramp of soft start into super anti bottoming. Also helps triangulate the front ski more which should help create smoother performance from the forks as they dont have so much torque being put on them.

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
My vote is to pick up a second set of forks and have them set-up by Brockstar performance. For the KTM/Husky you can get 4CS or OC forks for around $300 plus another $300 for snowbike specific valving. No extra shocks needed, plus you wont bend your expensive summer stuff!

S
Sep 18, 2018
My vote is to pick up a second set of forks and have them set-up by Brockstar performance. For the KTM/Husky you can get 4CS or OC forks for around $300 plus another $300 for snowbike specific valving. No extra shocks needed, plus you wont bend your expensive summer stuff!

Brockstar performance will do snowbike specific valving for $300 for everything?

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
GO GO AIR

first couple of years we tried more spring more dampening different forks, but if you ride in snow country air in the forks is all you will need. I have ridden some $500 WP fork setups, I think they got taken to the cleaners. air valve in each fork for sure best bang for the buck, most adjustable. One valve in each fork is less problem than the tube crossover design.

Hard trail pounding, yeah a little bouncy, but on myKTM 500exc stock rebound adjuster and 5 weight oil will overdampen if you want to go there.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Brockstar performance will do snowbike specific valving for $300 for everything?

Yes.

$300 complete.

Brockstar built forks.

af91f4c7e638db71734e929e93b7b027.jpg

Last edited:
J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC

$300 for custom valving and stiffer springs? There's no way you are using stock springs in a 4CS for snowbike...?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
first couple of years we tried more spring more dampening different forks, but if you ride in snow country air in the forks is all you will need. I have ridden some $500 WP fork setups, I think they got taken to the cleaners. air valve in each fork for sure best bang for the buck, most adjustable. One valve in each fork is less problem than the tube crossover design.

Hard trail pounding, yeah a little bouncy, but on myKTM 500exc stock rebound adjuster and 5 weight oil will overdampen if you want to go there.

My brother has an airpro, i ran the separate valves on mine.

We both had a day with broken off parts spraying oil all over.

If you want to run air spend some time spinning the valves to the safest place.
And or plan on them snapping off.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Cool looking monster you have there. What was the deal with the tank, was it just too much weight up high? just wondering why the move.

Too much weight up high and up front.

It made a huge difference.

Can’t wait to try the new forks and convex track. (Track not pictured)

E
Dec 19, 2007
Financially the best option is to add ALOT more oil and turn the clickers all the way in. Use a heavier weight and change it in the spring when you switch back to dirt. The oil gets water in it over the winter any way. I haven't tried the trio but have tried stiffer springs and air and my favorite set up is NO air , lots of oil and stiff valving. You want to add so much oil so the fork hydro locks BEFORE the seals slam into the fit kit. It won't hurt if you add too much they still ride better than stock you just don't get as much travel, just dump some out next ride and measure so you can repeat next year.

N
Mar 21, 2016
NW oregon
Financially the best option is to add ALOT more oil and turn the clickers all the way in. Use a heavier weight and change it in the spring when you switch back to dirt. The oil gets water in it over the winter any way. I haven't tried the trio but have tried stiffer springs and air and my favorite set up is NO air , lots of oil and stiff valving. You want to add so much oil so the fork hydro locks BEFORE the seals slam into the fit kit. It won't hurt if you add too much they still ride better than stock you just don't get as much travel, just dump some out next ride and measure so you can repeat next year.

How much thicker? I might try this.

R
Apr 18, 2016
Thicker oil will change valving in basic terms, and more oil will increase bottoming resistance. I guess I could see that working, my problem is on my dirtbikes I already need the stiffest springs available because I am a big guy. I went with a stiffer spring rate because I need it just to hold it up in the stroke and then even stiffer than usual for the compensation of what the snowbike does to the front of the bike. My springs are so stiff they coil bind before the seal would slam and I had to grind the guides to get that size wire to fit inside the tubes. Then I played with the shim stacks until I got something I like and I am very happy with it.

No way I could ride these forks in the dirt, after I first put the springs in I wasn't sure about what I had done, they felt crazy stiff...In the snow I love them, even on trail they feel great to me. It seems counter intuitive but a stiffer spring rate will often make a smoother more compliant ride. On a stock dirtbike I squash the thing. I need really tall risers, use ATV bars, lower the pegs sometimes by a bit to try and fit the bike to my frame. At times I have had spring rates that I thought would be pretty close and the bike rode harsh (I love rocks) when I have increased the spring rate the feel of the bike in the garage is harsh but the feel when ridden was smoother than the softer spring. Starting further up in the stroke makes a difference and the only way to do that is spring rate...or air which does the same thing basically.

I have zero experience with the airpro, I do have a few hot rods on air ride and a Funco Sandrail on bags. The air springs do strange things because the spring rate isn't consistent. as the spring compresses the rate rises, this goes for all air suspensions. It's like a basketball and it takes air specific valving to control a rising rate spring...probably not a big deal in the snow but it has been on the dirtbikes as evidence by all the MX teams chucking them in favor of a traditional spring fork. The Air is great as the rising rate offers a ton of bottoming resistance like increased oil and I am sure the MX teams will continue to work with an air fork because if they can make it work it would be substantially less un-sprung weight and weight in general, but the rising rate is tough to control. I am by no means the suspension master, I love the rising rate spring on the Funco, the set up works cool in the dunes, but even Funco when they built a race car a few years ago went to a coilover instead of the air spring. On my hot rods I actually prefer the ride of a traditional spring but the ability to lay the frame on the ground and look cool trumps the ride in that case.

All that said in the snow I'd just find a way to deal with the snowbike quirks at the price you feel like paying and go with it.

Premium Features