• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Video setup for the bike

S
Sep 15, 2016
Vancouver, WA
I have been using a contour roam camera for filming my rides. I mainly do it for myself nothing great to post up. After watching a few of my videos they all look kinda boring, you see one you see them all. So now I am wanting to take it to the next level. Whats the best camera placement and set up to use? Some ideas I had was getting a pole and attaching it behind me, or using a 360 camera and then cropping. Don't really want to use a drone, I want to be able to ride first and not worry tool much about being a cameraman.

What are your experiences with video?

HenryTheHammer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2017
Salt Lake City, UT
The Ram Mount stuff works really well. You can build your own kit for fairly cheap. They also have these adapters that let you cut your own length of PVC pipe so you can build whatever length arms you want. A ton of different clamp options as well so I was able to quickly setup on the ski grab handle and on the rear bumper.

This link was posted in another thread, these guys kit is all Ram stuff. It will give you some ideas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCnnmLVgbj4

N
Mar 21, 2016
NW oregon
Rear facing cam, chest mount, front fender, front ski mount, pole pointing back at you. Anything is good, variety helps.

The best shots though, to mix in and give perspective is to place your camera on the trail and then ride by it.

Also, shots of you not riding. Setting up in parking lot, or talking about the day or whatever. WHat we find in paragliding videos is the same, it get so lretty boring with just flying footage. So mixing in ground based footage at a ratio of at least 50% really helps break it up and give it a flow.

D
Mar 29, 2010
It’s all about multiple camera angles if you want to keep it interesting. One rule of thumb is when editing, always cut into a different angle. Another thing I like to do is setup the Cam in the snow pointing at a jump or some kind of feature. You can use your shovel with a bike mount attached as a tripod.

Premium Features