• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ARO 120 SX hitting exhaust, suggestions?

A
Nov 14, 2017
Installing a 2019 ARO 120 SX with TSS on a 2014 450SXF Factory edition. With all the air out of the TSS the SX kit hits the exhaust can.

I can't be the first one to run into this. Do you guys have a suggestion on what to change? I don't want to grind off part of the SX kit. I thought about just denting my exhaust can, as its only maybe 3/4 of an inch.

Any suggestions for a better solution would be appreciated!

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Installing a 2019 ARO 120 SX with TSS on a 2014 450SXF Factory edition. With all the air out of the TSS the SX kit hits the exhaust can.

I can't be the first one to run into this. Do you guys have a suggestion on what to change? I don't want to grind off part of the SX kit. I thought about just denting my exhaust can, as its only maybe 3/4 of an inch.

Any suggestions for a better solution would be appreciated!
But with air it should not compression as far as without air?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
But with air it should not compression as far as without air?

Yes. That’s what I’m thinking also. When I let the air out of my TSS all the way to install a new chain, it flattens all the way to my frame.With air however it is way above it and doesn’t bottom out like that.

A
Nov 14, 2017
Ok, so you guys are saying with air in it, it will never go as far as it does with no air? And even though your setups hit with no air, you have never seen evidence of the shock compressing that much while riding?

I just assumed that even with air, eventually with a hard hit you will fully bottom out that TSS shock. With spring suspension on a dirt bike you do this by taking out the springs to see if things are going to hit when bottomed out.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I know with mine it would not compression past the last 3/4 inch or so ....

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
You will find you need to set the TSS up super hard anyway and air ramps up way harder than any spring ever will.

I pump mine up till I hit the 0 stop on the pump (One full rotation of the pointer) -- probably would amount to 360 psi and still find it a bit soft at times in the big hits( 400psi is maximum this is not possible to get with the stock fox ump) my witness O ring moves up to 2 inches at that setup.

Probably gets close to hitting but not quite at that pressure Riding gear and pack puts me right around 240 pounds.

If I could keep the movement down to 3/4 inch would be ideal. Yeti came out with the soft strut trying to reduce the movement.

At the end a little movement there is great to much does not help and reduces snow performance.

Also Your skid should be the first one of suspension once that almost is bottomed the TSS should start to move to absorb the excess energy.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
What he said...
You will find you need to set the TSS up super hard anyway and air ramps up way harder than any spring ever will.

I pump mine up till I hit the 0 stop on the pump (One full rotation of the pointer) -- probably would amount to 360 psi and still find it a bit soft at times in the big hits( 400psi is maximum this is not possible to get with the stock fox ump) my witness O ring moves up to 2 inches at that setup.

Probably gets close to hitting but not quite at that pressure Riding gear and pack puts me right around 240 pounds.

If I could keep the movement down to 3/4 inch would be ideal. Yeti came out with the soft strut trying to reduce the movement.

At the end a little movement there is great to much does not help and reduces snow performance.

Also Your skid should be the first one of suspension once that almost is bottomed the TSS should start to move to absorb the excess energy.

cbc76am

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2016
Bothell WA
it's gonna hit

With the TSS properly setup using half it's travel 11/8" the akro can on my 16.5 FE KTM still hit the frame of the ARO. It put a tiny dent in the can over the season. You can either try to find a smaller exhaust, grind down the frame of the ARO, or just let it dent it on big hits. Annoying but the nature of the combo.
My personal opinion, don't over fill the TSS and lose the pivot it's intended for, it's so nice feeling to have it tuned just to the point that it moves about a millimeter when you mount the bike with all your gear and you get that dirtbike like feel from it.

A
Nov 14, 2017
Thanks for everyones advice on this. A friend who has a similar bike (same thing but a Husaberg) actually has an FMF Can on his bike. His is beat up and not as sweet as my Akropovich, but it is smaller and fits perfectly with no contact when the air is all the way out of the shock. We just traded straight across.

I put 350psi into the tss for now, thats what others were telling me to start at. Too much?

cbc76am

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2016
Bothell WA
I run 350 as well, I'm 180 without gear. I had to drop my eyelet on the TSS to the floor to get the steering angle right - forks all the way t the caps in the clamps also. rake it out!

Premium Features