• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ford RAPTOR vs Diesel????

Dec 30, 2007
sd
How well does a Raptor tow??? I tow a 27ft enclosed with a 12 Ram Cummins,,,and it absolutely is an awesome vehicle,,,but could I be happy with a Raptor? Anyone towing with a 6.2L Raptor? I know the Raptor is probably not much for payload, but can it handle a trailer? I am thinking the suspension on a Raptor is not cargo friendly.

K

kingofthemountain

Dec 21, 2008
Golden, Colorado
I talked to a guy a few weeks ago with a brand new roush raptor that was pulling a monstrous pull behind toy hauler. It had to be about 40 feet. He said it actually pulled surprisingly well and he was very happy with it. Granted, the roush version has about 600 hp and he had an equalizer hitch on but I think they all probably do well. I'm sure having a little wider wheelbase than the normal f150 helps. Definitely not meant for pulling in the same way that your dodge is but there's no doubt it could handle it.

drdiesl

Lifetime Membership
Aug 4, 2012
Just keep ur diesel you will regret getting rid of it for a rapter. Yes the rapter may be more fun to drive but the power and torque is what you will really miss especially pulling a trailer.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I would argue that if you already have the diesel, keep it. If you are looking at replacing an older pickup, I'd go for the Ecoboost. The Raptor pull it just fine with the 6.2L, but I'd still rather have the Ecoboost ...

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Raptor= 7 MPG @ 65 MPH, 6 MPG @ 75 MPH
Cummins= 10.5 MPG @ 75 MPG
Won't be long before your pocketbook will miss the cummins.

I would rather have a diesel but with your figures it would be a wash on both pocket books with the 82 cent price difference we have here. That makes up the 3 MPG difference.

Dec 30, 2007
sd
I think its the "fun factor" of the Raptor that has me intrigued...and I miss the ride and handling of my old f150...but you can't beat the Ram for those long trips either...oh well,,,,its been fun musing about the possibilities.

C

carlc

Jan 23, 2008
helena mt
If you are looking for a better ride out if your cummins, look into a carli suspension system. Most of there kits are about a three inch lift, and with long travel rear air bags, keep your original payload. Look at some vids on YouTube, there are a couple comparisons in the same trail with a raptor and a carli, and the carli can actually pull away from the raptor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CHAZWILDMAN

Premium Member
Jan 5, 2011
I have towed close to 3,000 miles with my new 13 Raptor and I'm very happy and getting 12 miles per gallon which isn't the greatest but love my truck. I'm pulling a three place mirage and yes the diesel will obviously have more torque but you will be very pleased with the towing power of the Raptor!!!

Nitron135

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2009
a couple of weeks ago I saw a VW tourage towing a 24 footer so, the raptor might be ok. However it is a Ford so it is still pretty questionable.:face-icon-small-win

manlye

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2009
The touareg was probably the v10 tdi...

W
Sep 15, 2008
Spokane, Wa
Chaz, does your raptor have 4 Low range? I thought I saw that the raptors don't have a low range but I don/t know if its true or not? If not that would be a deal breaker, not used very often but when you need it you need it.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I think its the "fun factor" of the Raptor that has me intrigued...and I miss the ride and handling of my old f150...but you can't beat the Ram for those long trips either...oh well,,,,its been fun musing about the possibilities.

A good buddy of mine had a Raptor. It does have a cool fun factor but he eventually got rid of it. He said it was built up for desert racing but that made it a very unpractical truck. It rode very stiff and while it pulled ok, it just wasn't designed for that. Good motor, nice features but terrible ride. If you want a Ford I'd go EcoBoost for a 1/2 ton and the diesel if you want real towing power.

CHAZWILDMAN

Premium Member
Jan 5, 2011
The truck rides smooth and yes has 4 low. The truck is a Cadillac and has many cool features wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I would rather have a diesel but with your figures it would be a wash on both pocket books with the 82 cent price difference we have here. That makes up the 3 MPG difference.

Just a math correction.
6.5 - 10.5 is a 61% increase in fuel milage.
$3.32gas - 3.99 diesel(my cost for fuel in central washington)is a 20% increase in cost.
Raptor =$51 for every 100 miles driven.
Cummins = $38 for every 100 miles driven.

That equals a 25% savings in fuel expense.

ridin da yamacat

C

carlc

Jan 23, 2008
helena mt
Just a math correction.
6.5 - 10.5 is a 61% increase in fuel milage.
$3.32gas - 3.99 diesel(my cost for fuel in central washington)is a 20% increase in cost.
Raptor =$51 for every 100 miles driven.
Cummins = $38 for every 100 miles driven.

That equals a 25% savings in fuel expense.

ridin da yamacat

Good luck trying to get people to believe you're math. I get it but most people don't want to accept the truth

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Also, for under $1,000 u can get a good programmer and ur 12 ram can have as much power as the ford and chevy diesels.

ridin da yamacat

FriscoProx

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
A buddy of mine has a Raptor; perfect truck to throw a couple dirt bikes in the back and rip out to the desert.

If you live in an area without emissions, you can open that Cummins exhaust and get real close to double that Raptor's 6.5 mpg towing. And burning through a 26 gallon tank every 160 miles is painful, and more than a little stressful driving through Wyoming or Montana and missing a fill up.

Last edited:
Premium Features