• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

how long can gas sit in tank before its bad

W

wowgogs

Sep 9, 2009
how long is to long to let gas sit in the tank before its bad for the sled.
I have heard a week or 2.. that seems pretty short to me.. can it be?

H

Highmarker

Nov 20, 2004
In the west!
a week or two is not a problem.....in most small gas staions it sits in their tank for probably two or three times that.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
It depends on a lot of variables (temp, amount of fuel, what fuel, etc). Keep the tank as full as possible so that condensation doesn't build up. That's the big killer. You could drop some fuel treatment in your container if you are going to have it sitting for a month or longer.

A

aus091

Dec 25, 2008
Stabil Sea Foam

It depends on a lot of variables (temp, amount of fuel, what fuel, etc). Keep the tank as full as possible so that condensation doesn't build up. That's the big killer. You could drop some fuel treatment in your container if you are going to have it sitting for a month or longer.

Is it a bad thing to put sea foam or stabil in your tank if you have it sitting for a while with a boosted sled? How do the treatments react to the heightened cylinder pressures?

dgreet77

Lifetime Membership
Oct 12, 2008
I always put some stabil in the tank over the summer, doesn't seem to hurt anything at all, and I don't even start the dang thing over the summer most of the time. I also have a 14:1 head on my sled.

As far as boost is concerned I can't tell you; but it should be safe. Car guys run seafoam through boosted engines all the time. What I'd do if I were you is keep the tank 1/2 full with some stabil in it then add fresh fuel to the last 1/2 when you're ready to go. Least thats what works for me....

A

aus091

Dec 25, 2008
I always put some stabil in the tank over the summer, doesn't seem to hurt anything at all, and I don't even start the dang thing over the summer most of the time. I also have a 14:1 head on my sled.

As far as boost is concerned I can't tell you; but it should be safe. Car guys run seafoam through boosted engines all the time. What I'd do if I were you is keep the tank 1/2 full with some stabil in it then add fresh fuel to the last 1/2 when you're ready to go. Least thats what works for me....

Thats what i did actually, i had like a quarter tank and put sea foam in it i believe. It might have been stabil but anyway i just filled the tank the rest of the way with fresh fuel. I ran the motor a little too to get the fresh fuel circulated in.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
sea foam rocks.. throw it in anything.. sled will be happy, turbo or not. i try to run it through the sled at least once a season just to keep things cleaned up inside.. i love it.

and considering you mixed so much fresh in.. dont worry about it.. ride it like you stole it.

as far as time sitting.. i let mine sit all summer, no treatment.. but my sled also gets run till june and ridden in october.. but never really notice any issues at all.

B
Nov 26, 2007
I had a car sit for 2 years with a tank of gas in it, I started the car up and put it on the road and burned that gas, never put new stuff in till the tank was down pass half. So gas does last a long time.

C
Jan 15, 2009
Colorado Springs
After topping off individual fuel tanks when I am "winterizing" summer equipment or "summer-izing" sleds, I use Stabil. I run the equipment for a few minutes after putting the Stabil in to make sure it is through the lines to the carburetors as applicable. I have never, ever had a problem with bad gas, and my equipment, whatever it is (tractor, chainsaw, weed-eater, motorcycle, snowmobile, boat, etc.) has always started fine when brought back to service. In the case of some equipment, it has sat unused for up to 6-8 months at a time.

Good luck? Perhaps. But after 20+ years of doing the same thing, probably not...

Chaos

Last edited:

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Like a coupe said here, I haven't bothered to put anything in my fuel over the summer.... Ride till June with premium fuel, take it out in November for the first ride and top it off with fresh premium (usually takes a half tank) haven't had a problem so far, but we do have very dry summers here. I also make it a point to start the sled and let it run up to operating temp at least once a month to keep things fresh and lubed up. It works for me.

T
Dec 25, 2007
The E10 gasoline in Minnesota is supposed to have a guaranteed shelf life of 27 days! That is info from Holiday gas stations...and a big reason why I siphon out my gas and run it in my four wheeler (that thing would almost burn water if it had to)....the sea foam/Sta-Bil stuff help, but if my engine was prone to detonating anyway, i would be a little wary. Anyway, fourstrokes handle bad gas better due to the cycling differences, so stories about cars don't really relate directly to your case. Takes 10min tops to siphon the gas, and hours and hundreds of dollars to do repairs...(though you get to use all those cool four-letter words then-WOOT!). Not sure if this related to your use directly, but leaded gas used to last forever. Oxygenated, unleaded gas chemically starts breaking itself down (lowers the octane rating). Just me rambling, but I know I would want to protect my engine...

R

rdnorman

Apr 19, 2008
So from thr info on this thread it would be best to top off the tank with gas and stabilizer, run it for a few minutes, Then let it sit for the summer, at the end of the summer siphen it out put it in the pickup and fill the sled up with new gas?

dgreet77

Lifetime Membership
Oct 12, 2008
Thats what i did actually, i had like a quarter tank and put sea foam in it i believe. It might have been stabil but anyway i just filled the tank the rest of the way with fresh fuel. I ran the motor a little too to get the fresh fuel circulated in.

I see no problem with this. :face-icon-small-hap

So from thr info on this thread it would be best to top off the tank with gas and stabilizer, run it for a few minutes, Then let it sit for the summer, at the end of the summer siphen it out put it in the pickup and fill the sled up with new gas?

I don't think the siphon part is really necessary, but it wouldn't hurt anything. Just depends on how picky you really wanna be.

The only thing I'd say is if boost is involved to either stay at low boost until you've used up the old gas, or siphon it out and refill it. As far as most NA sleds go though, just use seafoam or stabil, pull the rope and go.

R

Ride_The_Rockies

Jun 19, 2002
Utah
Ethanol

I think the days before ethanol it was ok to add some fuel stabilizer in the tank and let it sit for the summer but now since gas has ethanol added to it I would recommend draining your tank and putting in fresh gas. Ethanol breaks down gas quicker and also absorbs water.

F

frock

Sep 13, 2005
British Columbia, Canada
Try Catalyst

wowgogs this is the system I use on both my sleds, check it out here:

http://www.fitchfuelcatalyst.com/

I dropped this into the fuel tank and it will last the life of the sled. I fill my tanks right up to prevent condensation in the tank and start them once a month and let them warm right up till the exchangers are warm. This will dry out any condensation that will form inside your engine and cause corrosion on bearings as well as refreshing the gas in lines and carbs that isn't in contact with the catalyst.

A

aus091

Dec 25, 2008
Good information here thanks for your feedback about the turbo stuff guys

Premium Features