• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1999 xcr 440 winding out and losing power

B
Feb 24, 2009
Hi I have 1999 xcr 440 for my girl friend I just bought it and I completely tore the carbs apart and cleaned them out and put them back in it starts up and idles fine but when you try to drive it the clutch engages and it only moves about 15 mph and is very doggy. I also put it on a jack stand and tried to wind it out a little to its peak rpm but rite when you get there it loses power and gets really doggy again I can't figure out the problem. But it was fairly warm out that day so I dont know if the heat had anything to do with it or not but a little advice would be great.

Thanks

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Did you go through the carbs just for maintenance or was it running poorly when you bought it?
It sounds like the main jets may be too rich. Do you know what altitude the machine was run at previously? Is it a lot different than what you are at now? For sure the temperatures are a lot warmer now than what it will be run at but if it is jetted for the altitude where you ran it it should have at least rev'd out on the stand. Did you get an owners manual or a jetting chart with it?

L

likinit2

Jul 4, 2004
S.W. Michigan
I had a 99 xcr edge 440 and it was a pretty much a pain, however, when everything was right it was very fast. (for a 440) They came with too much helix and gear for starters so any let off the throttle and it would fall on its face and need divine intervention to get backshifted and on the pipe again....... So, I went with a 700 bigbore. The 99 440 came out from under the bench and was later put into a 2002 pro-x with a 03 pro-x pipe and I was able to get it dialed in pretty easy.

Just get it running right, look at your plugs to be sure you are running rich and not lean. The stock pipe will run, make sure you didn't twist off the tips of your air screws when reassembling your carbs. also be sure the pilot jets weren't overlooked etc. once you get it figured out I would recommend the 03 pro-x pipe setup, you won't be able to use the y-pipe but everything else will fit. Good luck!

B
Feb 24, 2009
Thanks for the tips guys I will check everything out you have told me and yes I did get an owners manual with it Retiredpop I will check into it. It is also set up for Minnesota and Wisconsin riding so pretty much just flat land riding.

Premium Features