• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Axys and BCA Link Radio

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
So I'm getting ready to pickup the BCA link radio. I really dig their products and I've had great luck with my Mtn Pro Vest. My concern is that some have reported radio interference from the Axys. Anyone here used the link radio with the Axys? Any ways to overcome it? Several in my group are using it so I hope it works out one way or the other.

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
Last year my pro would make my link go real staticky while I was riding around, but only when into the throttle a bit. We rented an axys for a day and it was even worse. But I wonder if changing the channel would fix it.

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
It is not just the BCA link.

Some Axys models emit a significant amount of electronic noise that some radios pick up. My buddies Axys emits enough that my radio picks it up when he is not transmitting, I can hear his rpm rise and fall as the noise of the static changes...

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
The polaris guys in our group all have the issue with our BCA radios. It's frustrating but the radios work great otherwise!

Last edited:

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Quick story...... This isnt related to the BCA topic, but is related to electro interference. Back when I drag raced sleds and ski-doo came out with their keyless, tether cord system. If I ran non-resistor racing spark plugs, and staged my sled very close to their lane..... It would make their sled cut out when we left the line :) Eric

JUDGED

Lifetime Membership
Jan 5, 2015
www.judgedgear.com
Non GPS Axys with 4+ others in group and no issues. People filling them with snow and talking to quick on the other hand...

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Non GPS Axys with 4+ others in group and no issues. People filling them with snow and talking to quick on the other hand...

You mean they talk to quick and the radio cuts off the first part of the conversation? That's typical of people that don't use radios a lot. I'm not saying that is your case, just experience.

I also heard of people using rubber bands to keep the channels from changing. Something about the channel selector moving to easily.

D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
www.imnotrightinthehead.com
If you buddies have BCA radios and you don't want to spend the money to buy one but still want a radio that is compatible, consider a Baofeng UV5r which is about $25 on Ebay.

It has more power, can upgrade antenna for more range, can program SAR, sheriffs, EMS, and other frequencies, and also has FM radio that you can listen to when riding. Works great with a $25 helmet mounted mic/speaker system.

Been using mine for sleds and ATVs in summer for past 3 years with no issues.

I couldn't justify the cost of a BCA radio.

Madtown

Premium Member
Nov 8, 2008
Madison,WI
If you buddies have BCA radios and you don't want to spend the money to buy one but still want a radio that is compatible, consider a Baofeng UV5r which is about $25 on Ebay.

It has more power, can upgrade antenna for more range, can program SAR, sheriffs, EMS, and other frequencies, and also has FM radio that you can listen to when riding. Works great with a $25 helmet mounted mic/speaker system.

Been using mine for sleds and ATVs in summer for past 3 years with no issues.

I couldn't justify the cost of a BCA radio.

Our group will be using those this winter. $100 cheaper than BCA & we all run Axys sleds.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Last year I picked up a 6 pack of Retevis H-777 radios, with handheld mics, on Ebay for less than $100 and passed them out to the group. Worked awesome, no issues all season, and we had a couple Axys sleds in the mix. I don't know if they would work with a BCA radio...

D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
www.imnotrightinthehead.com
BCA radio uses FRS and GMRS frequencies. BCA advertises "subchannels" or privacy codes but those basically are tone squelch signals sent so only persons with same tone squelch sent hear the transmission.

If you can determine the type/frequency of tone squelch you should be able to talk folks with BCA radios using other radios. Best thing to do is have the BCA radio users not use a "subchannel' or privacy code meaning no tone squelch to make it easier for everyone with non BCA raidos to link up and communicate with each other.

I have about 6 Baofeng radios with speaker microphones and 4 helmets with built in speaker/microphones. I pass them out to my ATV riding buddies and they love them. Most can't believe they rode all of these years without radio communications.

Premium Features