• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

"Totally Non-Biased Comparison Video"

C
Dec 24, 2014
I LOVE that video! Anyone trying to sell that as unbiased facts must be smoking something. I ride with new Cat's and Doo's, as mentioned many times in response to this ad, there is very little difference in how much snow they hold in the real world. There is DEFINATELY not 10-15 gallons of water coming off my PRO in the garage, ever.

Then you start talking power to weight but have to use a turbo, that costs a couple thousand MORE on top of the most expensive Cat ever... It weighs 100 lbs more than the PRO RTR. The rest is just a bunch of conjecture an in the case of the video misleading marketing. Most marketing falls into that category anyway, so no harm. Anybody with a whiff of common sense watches that and has a good laugh. Nice try Yamaha, shame on Snowest for being a part of such a farce.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
100hp at 9000 ft is tiny
You are not allowed to discuss Power to Weight ratios at altitude in this thread because Yamaha is only "subsidizing" the least expensive factory authorized fully warranted $2,000 turbo on the market, rather than installing it and selling it directly that way.

No Pro rider cares if you only have 105hp at altitude.
Power isn't the issue, its all about the weight.:face-icon-small-hap
And with or without loaded snow in the track, the Yamahas are absolutely the heaviest sled in the mountain segment, not one single Yamaha rider will argue that point!

Now of course there is absolutely NOTHING stopping a Pro Rider from installing any number of great after market turbos like a BoonDocker, other than the fact that it costs $5,295+, Voids the factory warranty on your brand new sled and requires an engine rebuild every 1-2 seasons depending on use?

picture.php

And you know what?
I LOVE riding with guys on Pros, and on XMs, and on pretty much every other sled out there. And I love letting them toss a leg over my boosted yamahas and seeing the big smile on their face when they pinch the throttle and feel 225hp light up underneath them.!
Everyone gets a kick out of that.

God Bless the fact that our industry is still healthy enough to support FOUR manufacturers producing some radically different sleds.

How freaking BORING would life be if everyone on the mountain was riding exactly the same sled?

Like buying a new truck, its GOOD to have choices and be able to express yourself in your vehicle and be different from everyone else!

Individualism is what made America great.

Now, if we only had some GOOD SNOW so we could all go RIDING for a change!!!!!!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
:bowl: Lyin Harris :bowl:
FWIW..
Ryan is no fan of Yamaha, nor of 4S sleds in general.
Much to his chagrin, He was honestly, genuinely SURPRISED by how the sled ran that day.

he is NOT in love with it, not by a long shot.
But he thought it was the first real significant step forward for Yamaha in many years in the mountain segment.

"IF" Yamaha offers the Viper with a Factory Installed Turbo, then we may see the very first Deep Powder Challenge with a 4S sled in it next year.

C
Dec 24, 2014
"IF" Yamaha offers the Viper with a Factory Installed Turbo, then we may see the very first Deep Powder Challenge with a 4S sled in it next year.

Why haven't they done it already? Cat has been offering a 180hp T4S in a mountain chassis now for 4 seasons, the same chassis the Yammi is on.

You could have a T4S showdown between the two engines in similar chassis' but it seems like anything else is apples to oranges. Like you mentioned, thank goodness there are choices.

Then test the 800 2S sleds as the entity they are. I do not see the cross shopping, nor the real comparison. I don't consider a new T4S sled because I do not feel like I need the power and I know I do not want to deal with the weight. I do not like doing sled builds or making mods beyond a bar riser. I like trading every year or two so I do not care about 5-10 years of service. The chassis never lasts that long for me anyway.

Now riding habits. The PRO is awful on the trail when set up for deep snow. I find 30 mph about right coming in and out on twisting groomed trails is about enough. It wants to fall over in every corner LOL. I am no longer a fan of steep and deep, that is where BAD things happen, especially among guys jacked over big hp and turbos. I prefer picking through the trees and creek beds all day, steep sidehills and low speeds. I just like this new type of riding better and we all know the PRO is better at it. We all know the Yammi is vastly improved with the Cat chassis but it is still 3rd and 4th in a class of 4. Take to hill climbing and the PRO is now dead last but, I don't care because I don't ride like that anymore.

Apples and Oranges in my eyes. Each will have devout fans with good reason.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
But how much did that boosted yammerhammer cost you?

Well.
Like you I shopped HARD on the open market and found the very best deal I could from Michelle at Oregon Trail Sports.

2015 SR Viper M-TX 162 SE $11,980
2015-SR-Viper-MTX-153-SE.gif

2015 SR Viper M-TX 162 LE $12,120

2015-SR-Viper-MTX-162-LE-Orange-3_4.jpg

Add MPI Factory Turbo +$2,000

Please Note:
In my specific unique case as a product reveiwer here on SnoWest, I opted NOT to install the factory MPI 180hp turbo as I wanted to do a in depth review of some "new" technology for all of the Yamaha riders. I chose to go with a very high end Evolution Powersports "Big Chute" 275hp liquid intercooled turbo that comes with a new custom ECU that I am eager to put through the ringer. I would NOT suggest this for the average Viper Rider, and do NOT see this as a reasonable substitute option for the factory MPI turbo kit.!!

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
Well.
Like you I shopped HARD on the open market and found the very best deal I could from Michelle at Oregon Trail Sports.

2015 SR Viper M-TX 162 SE $11,980
2015-SR-Viper-MTX-153-SE.gif

2015 SR Viper M-TX 162 LE $12,120

2015-SR-Viper-MTX-162-LE-Orange-3_4.jpg

Add MPI Factory Turbo +$2,000

Please Note:
In my specific unique case as a product reveiwer here on SnoWest, I opted NOT to install the factory MPI 180hp turbo as I wanted to do a in depth review of some "new" technology for all of the Yamaha riders. I chose to go with a very high end Evolution Powersports "Big Chute" 275hp liquid intercooled turbo that comes with a new custom ECU that I am eager to put through the ringer. I would NOT suggest this for the average Viper Rider, and do NOT see this as a reasonable substitute option for the factory MPI turbo kit.!!

No kidding huh? That's my next closest polaris dealer and isn't even that far away! I really didn't consider them because the last time I was in there (probably 10 years ago) the guy was a COMPLETE ******* to me. And I have heard the same from several others that have used him. That was when they were strictly yamaha and didn't carry polaris. Maybe it's changed hands since then?

That's a good price. I honestly thought Yamahas were 2-3 grand over a poo

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
You are not allowed to discuss Power to Weight ratios at altitude in this thread because Yamaha is only "subsidizing" the least expensive factory authorized fully warranted $2,000 turbo on the market, rather than installing it and selling it directly that way.

No Pro rider cares if you only have 105hp at altitude.
Power isn't the issue, its all about the weight.:face-icon-small-hap

So if Polaris has hung it's hat on being the lightest, and Yamaha/Cat have hung their's on being the most powerful....who seems to have struck a more popular cord? I don't understand how obviously promoting the least popular, least progressive, least involved mountain sled brand is beneficial to the Snowest Cause....it would seem the opposite, IMO....but to each his own.

Big HP is fun, no one is going to deny that. I'm sure all of us would have fun whacking the throttle on an 800lb 350hp sled a few times. Or if you had 2 similar sleds and all else equal, one had more power - I'm sure all of us would choose that one. But that's not the case.

My favorite sledding days are when it's deep and you are trying to punch through to an area and that pretty much takes all day. Stuck, rolling, lifting, etc, all....day. Turbos, 3", whatever, doesn't matter....the better riders get stuck less because of line choice and that's about it. The light sled, that's able to be rolled all day without issue, and is (relatively) easy to get un-stuck by yourself....is a big advantage. I've gained a ton of confidence in those areas riding a pro the past few years, and it's really helped my riding. By the numbers, the Pro shouldn't be THAT much different in those regards....but it is. The only thing similar are the new T3's. We've had 4-strokes that came with us that basically couldn't ride the terrain we frequent due to lack of roll-over valve, so that indicates something I suppose, lol. Also, the light, narrow feel is really confidence inspiring as I get more in to jumping/drops.

Now, most people don't ride like that, or don't ride like that very often. But many fancy that they do/will, and a Pro is definitely a tool that will help you get there. There is a big difference between being ABLE to wrestle something to do what you want, and being comfortable with it.

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
No kidding huh? That's my next closest polaris dealer and isn't even that far away! I really didn't consider them because the last time I was in there (probably 10 years ago) the guy was a COMPLETE ******* to me. And I have heard the same from several others that have used him. That was when they were strictly yamaha and didn't carry polaris. Maybe it's changed hands since then?

That's a good price. I honestly thought Yamahas were 2-3 grand over a poo

The only person I have ever worked with there is Michelle.
She goes by FREEAGENT here on SW.

I have nothing bad to say about her at all, she was a delight to work with. Well worth me driving 8 hours to get the sled.

As for cost.
For all I know they might be a bit cheaper as we roll out of the season.
Yamaha releases the 2016 sleds next week.

But HANDS DOWN "THE" deal of the year are 2015 Pros!!
Unbelievable deals to be had on new pros right now.

I will be perfectly honest here.
I may well pick up a 2015 Pro myself when I can buy one for $7,995
I have never owned a 2S sled, and it would probably do me good to own one and ride one just to have a more honest balanced opinion of the pros and cons of 2S vs. 4S.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I don't understand how obviously promoting the least popular, least progressive, least involved mountain sled brand is beneficial to the Snowest Cause....it would seem the opposite, IMO....but to each his own.
Make no mistake about it, I am the BLACK sheep around here.
The rest of the guys are ALL 2S fans.
I am the only guy that rides a 4D sled.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
I will be perfectly honest here.
I may well pick up a 2015 Pro myself when I can buy one for $7,995
I have never owned a 2S sled, and it would probably do me good to own one and ride one just to have a more honest balanced opinion of the pros and cons of 2S vs. 4S.

OMG,,,,, I thought.

Then I realized this is the same person who has got me excited each spring about Yamaha getting back into the mountains.

Sorry Christopher, appreciate your passion for Yamaha and you don't need to explain a reason for it to me, but I don't believe you would own a smelly 2 stroke even if it was 4000 loonies new.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Sorry Christopher, appreciate your passion for Yamaha and you don't need to explain a reason for it to me, but I don't believe you would own a smelly 2 stroke even if it was 4000 loonies new.
I am actually quite serious about that.
I will very likely sell my Turbo Nytro and pick up a new Pro this summer or fall. Scuttlebutt suggests there may be some unbelievable deals on 2014/2015 Pros come next Fall following the introduction of the nex Axys.

Hanging in there
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 6, 2009
somewhere in South East Idaho
I am actually quite serious about that.
I will very likely sell my Turbo Nytro and pick up a new Pro this summer or fall. Scuttlebutt suggests there may be some unbelievable deals on 2014/2015 Pros come next Fall following the introduction of the nex Axys.

There already there! Almost willing to pay ya to take them!

Premium Features