• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'12 pro cutting out

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
Had some BAD cutting out on a trip this weekend...

Felt a lot like TSS kicking in, or drop of ignition. Whack throttle, pulls hard for a sled length, then almost go over the bars from it cutting out. If i stayed on the throttle, it would hit again 100%, but then usually cut again. Wouldnt kill the engine, and definitely was not over- rev or limp mode kind of deal. All connections dry, no snow/ice in throttle or anywhere. (32 outside temps)

No warning lights, got it to dealer, no codes , and naturally wouldnt duplicate the problem (running on fork lift). Which i figured would happen...

Problem started out slow. (Half way thru day) One time, then didnt for half hour. Then couple times over 10 mins or so, then constant until we loaded it up and went straight to dealer. (Had used 7 gal for the day)

If anyone is good with videos, i have a perfect 40 second video in raw form from a drift camera....

New fresh fuel premium, running ethanol resistor (always have)
Fresh valve cleaning
Fresh pre-season, went over everything... Connections good / greased etc..

Took it apart after leaving dealer, checked most all connections, easy to get to wires, found nothing obvious.
Installed new plugs, topped off with fuel. (7 gal)

Ran today (6 gal). Not one issue...

Help with loading video please, it shows it good i think.

Anyone have similar issues?

Rough conditions, but some awesome hidden spots, other than this issue driving me crazy, had a fun first ride for the year!

Appreciate any help!

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa

This was my first thought, and definitly a possibility. Of the three most likely things, I think. TPS, TSS, or a short somewhere.

Dealer says, TPS was fine, no codes. But I know many of these problems persist, and no codes are thrown.

If it's a TPS, it's very intermittent, like it's got a bad spot, sometimes. And maybe that's what guys have run into... Hoping for feedback, and appreciate it!

Gonna try to load this video.... hopefully i can load the file and someone can make clarity of it.

Edit: and, didn't work. .mov file.... hate being computer retarded

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
Vid looks like $hit on youtube compared to my original...
But, somewhere right around 8 sec, 15 sec, and 24 sec it is cutting out. I think the 15 sec mark shows it the clearest. Holding throttle, cuts out, keep holding it and then it picks back up.

R
Dec 24, 2008
my 12 did that same crap 1/2 way through the 1st season. started off briefly and then got worse as the day went on and the under hood temps got hotter. I changed everything, all sensors, injectors, fuel, plugs, coils and wires, both harness's, checked reeds. very last thing I changed in a last ditch effort to fix this problem was the stator. (no more issues) I just did the top end in a 12 assault with 1000 miles on it and where the stator harness ties to the injector rail the protective cover was wore through and the wires were bare in a couple spots. might be worth a look.

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
Fuel filter? Fuel pressure?

Interested if the problem got worse due to lower fuel level's maybe? Fuel pick up issues?

Dave, i wondered about this and will be replacing the fuel filter after i check pressures etc... But, i don't believe I'm losing any fuel pressure, due to the way instantly picks back up rpm when I'm holding the throttle...??? I would think it would respond more like stumble or burble, where this is like a light switch with spark...?? Definitely worth checking out tho!

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
my 12 did that same crap 1/2 way through the 1st season. started off briefly and then got worse as the day went on and the under hood temps got hotter. I changed everything, all sensors, injectors, fuel, plugs, coils and wires, both harness's, checked reeds. very last thing I changed in a last ditch effort to fix this problem was the stator. (no more issues) I just did the top end in a 12 assault with 1000 miles on it and where the stator harness ties to the injector rail the protective cover was wore through and the wires were bare in a couple spots. might be worth a look.

Due to how it progressed thru the day, very well could of been heat/resistance issue in the stator. We never let it sit and cool down for an extended time while it was acting up. Then it had a good 40+ minutes to cool on the way to dealer.

M

milo303

Sep 16, 2011
Littleton
Here's something I experienced, my chassis ground lost the nut and was making and loosing contact..

From your video I'm not positive this is the same issue because mine would sometimes die all together also but figured I'd toss it out there

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
Here's something I experienced, my chassis ground lost the nut and was making and loosing contact..

From your video I'm not positive this is the same issue because mine would sometimes die all together also but figured I'd toss it out there

Thanks guys, keep em coming! Grounds were checked, and verified tight.

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
Forgot to add....

Yesterday, while it ran fine the whole time, I was having low idle. No display power up, and occasional dying when hitting reverse.

Dealer had said he increased a small amount of slack at the throttle lever. Don't know where he adjusted it, but likely just up top.

I made no adjustment the day before, but had wondered if I was getting too much slack from it stretching.... This must not have been an issue the day before.

Maybe idle needs set, and TPS recalibrated....

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Slack in the throttle cable is adjusted by a barrel adjust just down from throttle. I think the free play was 18 thou or so. Impacts the engagement of the TSS, also.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Forgot to add....

Yesterday, while it ran fine the whole time, I was having low idle. No display power up, and occasional dying when hitting reverse.

That sounds like the TPS calibration is off. Initial TPS calibration needs to be checked.

M

milo303

Sep 16, 2011
Littleton
I misread what you said about tps calibration.. Thought you said it had been recalibrated.

My bet is on the tps at this point

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
The free play in your throttle cable is more than likely your problem. Almost everyone I've known who has put some miles on a Pro gets a bog when you whack the throttle. We've adjusted them to nearly 0 free play and the problem has gone away. The adjustment to take out the slack is near the top of the cable and covered with a slideable rubber sleeve over the adjustment nut. Many have taken their sled to their dealer multiple times only to be corrected by a 10 second throttle cable free play adjustment.

Last edited:
Premium Features