• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'11 or ' 12 pro rmk?

kmg

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2012
Sorry if this has been beat to death. I am wondering if the changes between the 2 years are significant enough to run from a '11, or can a guy do the rkt fix kit and call it a day on the higher mileage '11. One in particular has just over 1700 miles and it's pretty cheap. So I thought would do a fix kit and then talk with aksnowrider about some tunnel supports, he still making them?

So what do you think?

TIA

E

edavis0202

Jan 11, 2012
Colorado
With that many miles on the 11', I would say get a new top end from Indy Dan (Cylinders and Pistons) for $1000 and it comes with a 3yr warranty. He beefs up the cylinders and makes the pistons fit better to the cylinders for less slop.

RKT will use a larger diameter piston to do the same more or less.

If you spend the money on the drop in kit, I would still want the cylinders honed. so you're probably spending about the same but no warranty.

Not saying anything bad about the drop in kit, I have it on my PRO and loved it. I also installed it with zero miles on the motor.

$0.02

philsummers21

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Big Horns, Wyoming
My 11 has 2500 miles on it. Just got my motor back from indy dan and still wouldnt trade it for a 12, 13 or 14. To me the changes are minimal even the 13s. I thought about this end of last year if it was worth trading up or keeping mine.

P

prosledder

Nov 26, 2007
Boone, Iowa
Long Rod

My 11 has 2500 miles on it. Just got my motor back from indy dan and still wouldnt trade it for a 12, 13 or 14. To me the changes are minimal even the 13s. I thought about this end of last year if it was worth trading up or keeping mine.

Just did the same thing. I have an 11 RMK Assault and thought about going to a 13 or 14 but I have my sled the way I want it as far looks, handlebars, etc. If I were to buy a 13 I would have to basically start over so I decided to invest in the motor instead of trading to a new year and I did Dan's long rod motor, clutching and gearing.

kmg

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2012
ok one more curve ball just found a 13 with 1900 for 8 grand. buy the 13 and talk to Dan? kinda worries me how much they lightened it up, and I'm not quite sold on Polaris belt drive. Opinions?

thanks again guys!

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I have owned a 2011 from new. The 11 and the 12 ride identically for all intensive purposes. I wouldn't split hairs between the 2 - whichever unit looks cleaner.

The 2013, however, feels noticeably different in a good way. Boards are stiffer and clean out much better. Throttle is much more responsive, motor seems to have more bite, seat is comfier. If it's affordable I would definitely go with the 13.

Considering how close the 2013 is to the 2011 on paper, I was surprised at how much better it felt. I'm sure some of that is things getting a little "tired" on my 2011 as well.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
I have owned a 2011 from new. The 11 and the 12 ride identically for all intensive purposes. I wouldn't split hairs between the 2 - whichever unit looks cleaner.

The 2013, however, feels noticeably different in a good way. Boards are stiffer and clean out much better. Throttle is much more responsive, motor seems to have more bite, seat is comfier. If it's affordable I would definitely go with the 13.

Considering how close the 2013 is to the 2011 on paper, I was surprised at how much better it felt. I'm sure some of that is things getting a little "tired" on my 2011 as well.
I agree with Jay.
We had two 2011 Pro's. Awesome sleds but our 2013 is better and we have a 2014 on the way. If your are worried about the Quick Drive belt, get the 2014 belt and use the 2013 belt as a spare.

IMG_1048.jpg

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
ok one more curve ball just found a 13 with 1900 for 8 grand. buy the 13 and talk to Dan? kinda worries me how much they lightened it up, and I'm not quite sold on Polaris belt drive. Opinions?

thanks again guys!

$8000 for sled
$2500 for Indy Dan LR w/ 3 year warranty (essentially a new engine)
$ 950 for C3 belt drive

$11450 for a near bullet proof sled with a 3 year engine warranty….PRICELESS!!

WAY better than a new show room '13 or '14.

If you ride hard and are worried about the tunnel use AK's tunnel stiffeners or just replace the tunnel sides with new 0.080" 6061 T6 skins.

R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com
With that many miles on the 11', I would say get a new top end from Indy Dan (Cylinders and Pistons) for $1000 and it comes with a 3yr warranty. He beefs up the cylinders and makes the pistons fit better to the cylinders for less slop.

RKT will use a larger diameter piston to do the same more or less.

If you spend the money on the drop in kit, I would still want the cylinders honed. so you're probably spending about the same but no warranty.

Not saying anything bad about the drop in kit, I have it on my PRO and loved it. I also installed it with zero miles on the motor.

$0.02

Just to clear up some misleading information..

1) Our pistons are NOT bigger than stock! Not sure where that stemmed from??

2) Pistons are NOT covered by the Indy Dan Warranty...

Last edited:
E

edavis0202

Jan 11, 2012
Colorado
Just to clear up some misleading information..

1) Our pistons are NOT bigger than stock! Not sure where that stemmed from??

2) Pistons are NOT covered by the Indy Dan Warranty...

When I had my drop in kit installed, I thought they measured larger then stock. Are you talking about direct replacement pistons?

R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com
When I had my drop in kit installed, I thought they measured larger then stock. Are you talking about direct replacement pistons?

Nope.. the measurement is right on the box.. Just more internet "rumor" that people like to believe ... that really should not be spread because it is false..

Trying to make the masses believe that the OEM cylinders are plated incorrect from the factory is simply nonsense. The cylinders are all within .0005" of each other and always have been..

You can not make a hone.. hone anything but ROUND!! Roll a tennis ball and see of you can get it to not roll even... Same with the hone.. it can NOT do one part of the cylinder at one dimension and another part at another dimension.. ALL the cylinders are plated to spec.. This rumor that surrounds this is simply internet hype..

Your cylinders are properly sized!! Guaranteed!
AND the pistons we offer are NOT oversized to make up for a larger cylinder.. In fact, the OEM pistons are properly sized when new.. they just do not stay that way for very long..

Please be careful with internet propaganda..

Premium Features