• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anyone renewed their Iowa registration lately?

D

dp2826

Dec 31, 2007
NW Iowa
Do you have a title for it then? I was wondering if the registration needed to be up to date to sell it? I guess I don't have plans on selling right now but was curious about what happens down the road.

Steelman

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2009
snowexhaust.ggb.ca
I got them when I bought my new Pro this year. I do not plan on putting them on. Not sure of the resale down the road.

D

dp2826

Dec 31, 2007
NW Iowa
Did I understand this correctly? You need to have your snowmobile registered, which costs $17.75. In addition you need to have a permit to ride on public land which costs another $17.75?

motocrazy2006

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2011
Williamsburg, Iowa
You have to pay your $17. regestration fee like normal. But this year, for snowmobiles they also added a $17. Trail Pass that we have to have. That is BULL ****!!!!

My county recorder hates this idea. thought it was absolute bull ****.

You dont have to buy the trail pass, but if you want to ride on the trail system, or anything else public you have to have it.

My question was, well where is our regestration money going to? Cant ride the sleds in the ATV parks, so always thought they split the money, but guess not...

Trail pass money is suppose to go into the snowmobile fund to help pay for groomers and etc, which i am fine with, but then whey do we have to pay a yearly regestraion fee, if they want to pull this, i think they need to go to a 2 or 4 year regestraion fee on the sleds and a yearly trail pass.

Hell if we dont get any snow in iowa this year, i paid $40.00 to look at it,

Steelman

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2009
snowexhaust.ggb.ca
Only sticker that will be on my sled will be my WY. one. Bought the sled to ride west and if we get any snow and I mean a BIG if here in Iowa, I will just ride it and not worry about it.

D

dp2826

Dec 31, 2007
NW Iowa
You have to pay your $17. regestration fee like normal. But this year, for snowmobiles they also added a $17. Trail Pass that we have to have. That is BULL ****!!!!

My county recorder hates this idea. thought it was absolute bull ****.

You dont have to buy the trail pass, but if you want to ride on the trail system, or anything else public you have to have it.

My question was, well where is our regestration money going to? Cant ride the sleds in the ATV parks, so always thought they split the money, but guess not...

Trail pass money is suppose to go into the snowmobile fund to help pay for groomers and etc, which i am fine with, but then whey do we have to pay a yearly regestraion fee, if they want to pull this, i think they need to go to a 2 or 4 year regestraion fee on the sleds and a yearly trail pass.

Hell if we dont get any snow in iowa this year, i paid $40.00 to look at it,

I was pissed just like you. I decided not to pay for either decal. I don't even understand what the point in registering it is if you don't get the trail pass. Why would I register a sled to ride on my property. I usually do register to be legal if I should ride here, but that is complete BS to require another decal. I don't have to have it registered here in Iowa to register it in Wyoming or Colorado.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Sounds like a screwed up system to me. However if you riders from Iowa are planning on riding in SD you still will need to register your sled in Iowa. SD still honors other states registrations. That does not include trail passes (non resident permits) from other states only actual resident registrations. The only other option SD has is the 5 day temporary permit for $40. SD has discussed a non resident user permit but we have not gotten to that point yet.

B
Nov 28, 2007
Sioux Center, Iowa
You spend thousands of dollars to ride a week or two out West yet you're to tight to spend $40 to promote your sport in Iowa? Not everyone has access to private land and we have a whole new generation of riders coming up that need our trail system.

Last edited:
B
Nov 28, 2007
Sioux Center, Iowa
Sounds like a screwed up system to me.

Not really. Sticker #1 is your yearly sled registration, just like a car. Sticker #2 is your trail permit. You take your car to a state park, you pay to get in. You camp in a state park, again you pay. The state provides a groomed trail system for those who wish to use them for less than it cost to fuel up your sled. Iowa's not the first to come up with a trail permit and they won't be the last. Groomers don't come cheap and this is one way to help fund them. Another is seeking our share of the gas tax paid by sledders in Iowa. The ISSA would like to see that money go back to the ISSA and the DNR for trail developement and more groomers. If you don't ride in Iowa , no problem. If you do, man-up and buy the permit. Protect our sport and help provide a safe place to sled for the next generation of riders. One last thing. Get involved in your local snowmobile club. The trail permit issue was something that was overwelmingly supported by the Iowa State Snowmobile Association's membership.

D

dp2826

Dec 31, 2007
NW Iowa
You spend thousands of dollars to ride a week or two out West yet you're to tight to spend $40 to promote your sport in Iowa? Not everyone has access to private land and we have a whole new generation of riders coming up that need our trail system.

I didn't ride in Iowa last year. And the state doubling fees, to me, just seems greedy. So, yes, I'm too tight to spend $40. Maybe if there are others like me that think that is ridiculous and choose to not pay the state will rethink there fees.:yo:

B
Nov 28, 2007
Sioux Center, Iowa
I didn't ride in Iowa last year. And the state doubling fees, to me, just seems greedy. So, yes, I'm too tight to spend $40. Maybe if there are others like me that think that is ridiculous and choose to not pay the state will rethink there fees.:yo:

How are they doubling you fees? You're suppose to register your sled every year anyway, just like your car, boat or motorcycle. If you're not riding in the state, don't buy the trail permit. If you feel lucky ride without. Not me, I've seen the fine schedule.

Snowmobile Trail Pass Legislation
Signed by Governor Branstad
The ISSA-supported $15 snowmobile trail pass bill has been signed into law
by Iowa Governor Terry Branstad after passing both the House and Senate the
second week in April.
ISSA Lobbyist Mike Heller noted that this bill is one of the very few fee
increase bills to pass this year in the Iowa Legislature, "or in several years for
that matter," he said.
"It has been a long haul, and it is important to thank legislators who helped
on this important bill. We also need to let the governor's office know the
importance of the bill," Heller said.
The $15 trail pass is on top of the $15 annual snowmobile registration fee in
Iowa. The added revenue would be a boon to the IDNR's ongoing initiative of
updating the aging groomer fleet in Iowa, especially with the cloudy future of
federal grant money.
"This bill is in lieu of the $15 registration fee increase," ISSA President Gary
Burger explained. "Those with registered sleds in Iowa who ride only in other
states or on their own property would not need to purchase the trail pass."

P
Nov 27, 2007
Humboldt, Iowa
IF YOU RIDE SLEDS SUPPORT THE SPORT IN EVERY STATE YOU RIDE IN!

That is the only way this sport stays funded. If you ride in Iowa you need to support your local snowmobile club. That is the lifeline between you, your trails and the ISSA. Believe me, there isn't a club in Iowa who wouldn't gladly take more members and more help.

Humboldt County Sno-skimmers.com
Terry Bickel

Look on the ISSA website and see the healthy fines for riding without registration and trail passes.

Last edited:
S

spiceyunicorn

Jun 20, 2010
NW, Iowa
" The added revenue would be a boon to the IDNR's ongoing initiative of
updating the aging groomer fleet in Iowa, especially with the cloudy future of
federal grant money."

correct me if im wrong but iv never seen a dnr groomer i was always under the impression our groomer in clay county was own/operated by our snowmobile club not the dnr?.......

Premium Features