• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

06 900 no power to fuel pump or lights/gauges

S
Nov 27, 2010
Idaho falls,IDAHO
Hey guys need some help, sled was idling then it jus died,the only way it will run is if I manually put power to the fuel pump,runs normal when i do that but have no gauge lights or headlights. I have checked oms from the stator and seems to be fine also have changed the VReg. Thanks for ur time in advance.Btw have great spark.

Last edited:
S
Oct 3, 2008
Quebec, Canada
check the relay (black box on the wiring harness MAG side just above recoil cover) for the lights/mfd. The relay is basically a switch that ensures 100% power goes to the ignition coil when you start the sled; once the sled is running the relay should close and allow power to the lights/mfd. Mine was giving me problems with the mfd/lights and I pulled it apart (just grab the top and bottom and pull; it will separate in the middle). I cleaned it using contact cleaner and sandpaper.

I'm pretty sure the relay isn't in the fuel pump circuit so no ideas there....Does anyone know if the capacitor would affect this? Other than that, maybe a short? disconnect your left hand switches and see if it's any better.

Good luck.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
i would think the capacitoe would effect the fuel pump, if its bad it will not hold an initial charge to send pwr to the fuel pump tp prime the fuel system while your pulling the sled to start it..

so check the relay and the capacitor for sure...and go from there...lots of caps on ebay.

S
Nov 27, 2010
Idaho falls,IDAHO
Ok I checked the capacitor wires everything looks okay there. I tried to start it and what do you know it fired second pull ran great had mfd and headlamps working and the charge level had full bars,it ran for maybe 3mins then the lights/mfd went off and it died a couple seconds later. If i let it sit for a while then it will fire back up and do the same thing.:face-icon-small-con Sound like maybe a stator? How would I go about checking it? Thanks

S
Oct 3, 2008
Quebec, Canada
you have to pull the seat and tank off to get at the wires for the stator. Once you are there you need a meter to do an impedance test of the stator windings (manual will give you the impedance specs) to ensure that they are within spec. You may find that they are within spec and only become a problem when the stator heats up (based on the symptoms you are describing).

Premium Features