• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Who gets a flu shot every year? And, are you required to?

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
The one and only time I had a flu shot, Carter was our President. I have had the flu two times in my life. And that was a stomach flu which lasted about 12 hours. Both times I was under 25 years old.
So I am just curious as to how many of you get a shot. And do you think it works for you?
Here in MN and elsewhere, Essentia Health is requiring all of their employees and vendors to get the flu vaccine or they will be terminated. Some restrictions do apply. Boy has this started a fire storm. WOW! :)

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
I never got it and would only get minor sick from the flu if at all.

3 years ago my wife's family thought it was crazy that I didn't get one with all of the new little kids in the family and I figured instead of fight them I would get one for the first time since I was like 10. Got the flu worse that year then any other time in my life. Ended up in the hospital for two days from it. I have never been that sick in my life it was crazy.

Now I'm sure that entire thing could have just been a coincidence but it was not a risk I was willing to try again. I didn't get the flu shot the last two years and have not had the flu since.

I can't imagine having it be mandatory for a job. Not sure how I would deal with that.

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
"stomach flu" isn't influenza. Influenza very rarely causes nausea. I never got the flue shot through college and for a number of years after. I have started getting it recently, because the insurance I get through work encourages it, and gives a discount on premiums if you get it.

It's not 100% effective, but it's not harmful. I get them for my kids as well. The part about it being mandatory I don't like. One of the perils of health insurance being tied so closely to employment.

https://medlineplus.gov/flu.html

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
Not me. Not now, not ever! Have had full blown influenza twice, and it sucks! But not as bad as some of the "rare" side effects imo.

A lot of studies say the placebo effect is good for around 40% of people. Is the flu shot even that good?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Not me. Not now, not ever! Have had full blown influenza twice, and it sucks! But not as bad as some of the "rare" side effects imo.

A lot of studies say the placebo effect is good for around 40% of people. Is the flu shot even that good?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Flu vaccine effectiveness varies from year to year, as the influenza virus mutates rapidly, and the cdc has to estimate which strains will be prevalent.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/professionals/vaccination/effectiveness-studies.htm

if the rare side effect you're concerned about is Guillain-Barré syndrome, you might want to know that it's a side effect of getting the flu as well. And a more common side effect of the flu than of the flu vaccine.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
"stomach flu" isn't influenza. Influenza very rarely causes nausea. I never got the flue shot through college and for a number of years after. I have started getting it recently, because the insurance I get through work encourages it, and gives a discount on premiums if you get it.

It's not 100% effective, but it's not harmful. I get them for my kids as well. The part about it being mandatory I don't like. One of the perils of health insurance being tied so closely to employment.

https://medlineplus.gov/flu.html
I didn't know that. I thought the flu was the flu. Some of the reading I have done in the past suggest that it is impossible to get the flu from the vaccine. I don't know either way myself.
I learned a few other things from my wife and daughter this morning so I googled their concerns. $.02

Do vaccines have mercury in them?
It is used as a preservative for flu vaccines in multi-dose vials, to keep the vaccine free from contamination. Thimerosal is also used during the manufacturing process for some vaccines to prevent the growth of microbes. ... Thimerosal is a compound that contains mercury.

Is there formaldehyde in the flu shot?
Formaldehyde is used in safely small amounts in several flu vaccines (Fluarix, FluLaval, Agriflu and Fluzone) to inactivate the virus so it cannot cause disease. It is not in other influenza vaccines (Afluria, FluMist and Fluvirin). ... (Meanwhile, a single dried shiitake mushroom contains 100-406 mg/kg of formaldehyde.)

Jean-Luc Picard

Premium Member
Aug 25, 2017
Blackfoot, Idaho
www.bennyfifeaudio.com
Pharmaceutical companies

My wife has not been to a real doctor in years. Probably since we had our last kid. I had the full blown flu once & the drugs they put me on knocked me out as much as the flu did.

Once in 38 years. I had to get a flu shot once when I was working in the medical field in my 20's.

I'm fairly certain the whole vaccination thing is pushed by the pharmeceutical companies who manufacture them. I haven't watched network TV in years & had forgotten how much advertising is done for drug companies. Now, thanks to CBS & Star Trek Discovery, I'm seeing commercials again. And an ABSURD amount of drug commercials. "Ask your doctor if sad;lkjhasdg is right for you." "Rare side effects include Renal Failure and Death."

The little town I live in is owned by the local hospital. Population: ~12,000. Total Billboards promoting the hospital: NO LESS THAN 20. Drug companies and hospitals aren't selling cures. They're selling products. Yes, they have some good ones that have changed our lives, but holy crap. Take a life saving medication somebody requires to live & jack the price 3000%?

Please deconstruct the system & start over.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Never had one but considering it this year...we have a little 16 month old dude and I've been sick more times since he started attending daycare than I have in 10 years combined. I'm assuming that eventually I'll develop some super imunities from all the germs passed along by those little bandits....or get the plague. Probably one or the other lol

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Never had one but considering it this year...we have a little 16 month old dude and I've been sick more times since he started attending daycare than I have in 10 years combined. I'm assuming that eventually I'll develop some super imunities from all the germs passed along by those little bandits....or get the plague. Probably one or the other lol
Good luck and happy days ahead for you and your family. :face-icon-small-hap

I have been told if you wash your hands and don't touch your mouth, nose, or eyes, you won't get sick. They didn't mention anything about scratching your butt. :face-icon-small-dis

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
It's not mandatory where I work but they do offer flu shots every year. That being said, I had the flu shot once in my life a few years back and..................that was the year I got Influenza A!!!! I've never been so sick and it stuck around longer than normal.

Haven't had the flu shot since, have I got sick....well yeah but not as bad as that time!!

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Recent implants (Obama admin) have thought control capabilities.

Yes but they were only interested on making it work on intelligent people. Learned they didn't need it they were all already Democrats. The Trump people couldn't make it work on the intelligent people but figured out how to make it work on the feeble minded. Now you know how he got elected :fish2:

Last edited:
Premium Features