• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Issues with Axys aluminum a-arms

B

Bedhead

Jan 3, 2015
Central MN
if they are the saving (weak) link I hope they are cheap.

Forged Aluminum A-Arms

Polaris continuously pursues new innovations and technology, and for 2016 the Polaris® RMK® features an industry-first...forged a-arms. The one-piece, forged a-arms are lighter (approximately 1.5 lbs lighter) while providing optimal strength. Forging is widely used and proven through the automotive industry. This design reduces unsprung mass leading to a better ride quality and increased maneuvarability.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
The 2 times i ever bent an a-arm wasnt because i hit something (and i hit quite a bit of stuff) it was because my carbide caught something and basically twisted under. I dont run a carbide anymore.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
The bulkhead parts are castings, the suspension (A-arms) are Forged.

Polaris would be foolish to use a casting in the suspension, in this litigation happy society.

These Forged Aluminum A-Arms use the same technology that Corvette and other high end cars have been using for nearly 30 years and even trucks more recently.

It may have seemed like a light hit but it likely was not. I've hit an occasional rock that sheared off solid steel spindles (EDGE Chassis), that did not toss me over the bars nor yank the bars out of my hands, and no other visible damage other than a slight bend to the carbide runner where the carbide grabbed the rock.

In all likelihood if the A-arm had been any tougher it would have caused far more damage to the rest of the sled. Much better to lose a corner than lose the whole sled. IMO

Last edited:

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Wow.
You guys think a company that decided to glue parts together would have a fantastic idea with these arms?
I have seen pics from 6 months ago of these arms all twisted up.
(And you can straighten them without them breaking.) That shows how soft they are.
How many Pro bulkheads have been screwed up by overly strong Polaris arms? Not a lot. Oh, and they ARE cheaper than the bonded ones, but not by a lot.
Trust me, I am tired of riding the same XM every year, and I will be switching next year unless there are some revolutionary changes with Doo, but Poo really does need to start taking care of their customers and quit setting them up to buy incredibly expensive parts.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
There's a reason it's called dealer snow. Every year this happens and every year someone is surprised it happened to them. It's as predictable as the my y pipe is leaking oil at the donut thread...

BLSDEEP

Lifetime Membership
Dec 18, 2007
Bozeman
Not even sure my ski went a little off the trail and clipped something but I wasn't going very fast. I actually never even considered that it could be bent with that light of a hit until I started falling over repeatedly on the right side. Have only wrecked 1 set of a arms in 5000 miles on the pro chassis (3 sleds 12/13/14).

You went riding n early November and your "ski went a little off the trail" and hit a rock.
Rocks are much harder than any kind of aluminium.
Case closed. ?

J

jhurkot

Nov 26, 2007
Revelstoke, BC
I'm just warning people that these arms are extremely fragile and it would be a smart idea to have extra lowers if you plan on keeping the stock ones. However at $300 cdn for a lower arm I don't see the point of using these.

As far as snow goes... The axys made it 10 miles and then went back to the truck and hopped on my 2014 with 2500 miles and tywrapped the throttle to the bars for 2 days....

800938483f34661aceafaeee8f36d010.jpg

cc8b21002cde5c5ae39456dec9f89682.jpg
bb33efd7af7013588e43a29a8fc3a610.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2litre

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Well i am a Cat guy and most would say the Cat front end is pretty hearty, however, while riding the wife's Yamacat Viper last fall, I clipped a small stone under the fresh dusting of snow at about 30km/hr (18mph for you non-metrics). Never-mind the fact that it launched me over the bars and slam dunked me down onto the ski and ground, it absolutely destroyed the left lower control arm.

Just goes to show that no matter how well its built, if you hit it in the right spot at the right speed **** HAPPENS! One bent forged a-arm will not likely be the undoing of the formidable new Axys, but it likely won't be the last one. Truth is, there is always a few guys who seem to have the knack to wreck pretty much anything built by an OEM.

Just my .02 cents...Thanks

B

briannajd

Jan 3, 2008
Just looked them up on Polaris parts house, basically $140 upper, $200 lower.

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
2 days back to back this weekend with powder coated A-Arms. Hit a unseen ditch at about 50 which sent me rear over front and the sled continued away from me stopping on its hood. Rear of ski was darted into the snow, no damage.

Second day found something hard in a valley that tried taking me over, zero damage. So far I am happy. Even the rear rails held, I usually don't even try the stock rails anymore.

A

assault11

Jan 14, 2011
Red deer, Alberta
2 days back to back this weekend with powder coated A-Arms. Hit a unseen ditch at about 50 which sent me rear over front and the sled continued away from me stopping on its hood. Rear of ski was darted into the snow, no damage.

Second day found something hard in a valley that tried taking me over, zero damage. So far I am happy. Even the rear rails held, I usually don't even try the stock rails anymore.

One bent arm and everyone is scared to ride. Don't wanna wreck stuff? Wait till January to ride. I'll be out riding the 6' of snow we already have while you guys complain about a new sled you haven't even ridden

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features