• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

thinking about a move to idaho...

L
Jan 29, 2010
Thinking about a move to Idaho and a snowmobile friendly town would be high on the list, where are the big snowmobile towns/spots around Idaho?
the ability to snowmobile from my house is a plus

thing is I just don't even know where to start
being near big mountain riding is also a plus

Mort2112

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Meridian, ID
Idaho Falls is a huge snowmobile town, and not too far from some great riding but with the resources of a larger town. Victor/Driggs (would put you near Jackson if you go back to restaurants). Boise is great, but a little further from the riding areas, but much better employment-wise. McCall puts you in the heart of riding country if you can afford it.

B

BeckyJ

Jan 15, 2010
McCall, Idaho
www.secesh.net
Snowmobile towns in Idaho

Home prices are high in resort areas in the mountains in Idaho, as they are in all such areas. McCall, Island Park, Stanley, Sandpoint are all towns with good access to snowmobiling. Hard places to find good paying jobs too.

L
Jan 29, 2010
I've seen some prices around McCall for land and it's doable, coming from Cali I have some land value in my favor.
For employment I have been on Forest service fire crews and engines for allmost 8 years, it's just a matter of finding a job on a local crew or engine that's close enough.
I'm also open to changing jobs, but not overly interested.

I'm gonna try to drive out that way in the next month and check things out in person before much winter sets in, depends on the finances

L
Jan 29, 2010
How well has id done during these drought years?
Our staging areas struggled to get any snow at all, I got 80 miles on the sled last year.
I know it affected you guys to, how bad was it up there?

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Look for sure before doing anything. Land "around McCall" varies so much you would not believe. 10 miles in either direction can put you in some pretty low income areas, without any of the attraction of McCall itself. You can get 2-3 times the land/house by going to New Meadows or Cascade, but those places are very different from McCall.
Employment is the major issue. I have had friends come and go because they didn't make enough money lo live decently and still have the cash left over to enjoy the area. Those were two income couples also.
You have to have a hook to make it here. Two income or more families for sure, come from money, or have skills that are needed (doctor, etc.). My one buddy that came here for a year with his girlfriend had one truck between them, two older Skidoos, a small house they rented, and finally left because they were getting tired of riding old sleds and being broke. He worked at a dealership and she worked for a large hotel. My other bud left after a couple years for similar reasons, he was in real estate and she worked for an exclusive hotel, they moved to Utah and he makes twice what he was making here by selling rvs.
I do ok because I have an online business, it doesn't matter where I live. My wife has a salon in town, it really doesn't make any money after 4 years, but she has an online business also.
We went to dinner the other night, Mexican, my wife and I shared a large dinner, my kids each had a kids meal, I had 3 Coors Lights, the bill was $58.
Lunch for 4 of us is regularly $30-$40.
The food prices are probably not too shocking for you if you are from Cali.
I bought a ream of printer paper locally a few years ago when I had to have it: $9. $2.99 at Walmart in Boise.
We have been here 4 years and are looking at options for leaving. Small town BS, dealing with the constant arsehole tourists, especially in the summer, cost of living are big drawbacks. Half the people here (or that have houses here) have so much money that they do not know what to do with it, 40% of the people work for those people and don't have a pot to piss in, 10% are middle class folks like us. And it is getting worse, they are continuing to build low income "worker" housing. In four years, this place has changed so much we cannot believe it.
I moved here to ride sleds without having to drive. I regularly go for 1-2 hour rips because riding is ten minutes away. But we are paying the price for that luxury, it is getting old. We were looking at Alpine/Driggs/Victor areas also.
Rant over. :)

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
My wife and I moved to Idaho about 2yrs ago to be close to great riding, the mountains and cooler/dryer summers. After a lot of research we picked Teton Valley = Driggs / Victor area. Riding is 5 minutes from the house, great snow too. Last year was bad, and I still rode over 40 days. The valley is at 6200 and the riding is 8-10,000.
Forest service office in Driggs, lots of restaurants over teton pass in Jackson wy.
Pm me if you want more info. Eric

mold

Lifetime Membership
Nov 17, 2009
Lead, SD & Idaho Falls, ID
My wife and I moved to Idaho about 2yrs ago to be close to great riding, the mountains and cooler/dryer summers. After a lot of research we picked Teton Valley = Driggs / Victor area. Riding is 5 minutes from the house, great snow too. Last year was bad, and I still rode over 40 days. The valley is at 6200 and the riding is 8-10,000.
Forest service office in Driggs, lots of restaurants over teton pass in Jackson wy.
Pm me if you wants more info. Eric

Sounds like you are one of the "nice" folks in the Teton Valley ~ definitely the exception to the rule.

L
Jan 29, 2010
I don't always bring a thread back from the dead, but when I do
its because im moving to Idaho

got a place in victor and leaving cali sunday

I start full time work at Jackson hole ski resort tue
this thread started me off 3 years ago, finally pushing the button
thanks to all

Last edited:

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana

got a place in victor and leaving cali sunday

I start full time work at Jackson hole ski resort tue
this thread started me off 3 years ago, finally pushing the button
thanks to all

Enjoy! The riding is phenomenal and lots of it!

I'm about to hi-jack this thread. Hope you don't mind.

I'm also looking into moving to Idaho. I graduate next fall with a mechanical engineering degree, and want to move west for a while to be close to mountain riding. I drive 20+ hours now for mountain riding 2-3 times a winter, so a 2-3 hour drive isn't a huge issue for me for a weekend of riding. Within an hour would be nice, but it isnt really a deal breaker. I've been strongly considering Boise. The cost of living seems reasonable, better than most large cities in the west. It also looks like there are a ton of job opportunities based on online job boards. There seems to be a really good mountain bike scene in Boise in the summer, as that is what keeps me occupied while waiting for winter.

My thought is that I would store my sled in McCall (or any other area, based off of local knowledge) and just commute the car rather than hauling my sled around all the time in my gas guzzling truck.

I also like the fact that Boise is within an 5-10 hour drive from many other sledding or biking destinations for longer, say 3-4 day trips. places like Jackson, Alpine, Logan, Missoula, Kalispell, Oregon, Washington, etc.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Is the cost of living in Boise actually reasonable? Is it really realistic to get 40-50 days on the snow while living in Boise? Is there riding that is closer to Boise than McCall? Anybody here live in Boise and can attest to how often they make it out or where the closest riding is? Is there a decent sledding scene in Boise? What are the downsides of living in Boise?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Premium Features