• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Powder coat or paint axys a arms?

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
There is not a single Powder Coater in the world I would trust with an Aluminum Part. But that's just me, do what you want.

And I could give you a list of ones that specialize in aluminum parts. As we have them done for work all day every day. Some are just decorative parts and some are structural. So for me I wouldn't think twice about not having them done.

But hey, you have to go with what you know and if you don't feel comfortable having them done on your sled it's your call.

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
somebody needs to slap one with a sledge hammer to see if it bends or breaks.LOL

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
Oh no, I thought you had the exact idea I had there for a second. I'm going with hi viz yellow. Been planning it since before I ordered. I didn't get my sled yet but I did get the email and wouldn't be surprised if it landed at the dealer already.

hahahahahahah!!! Your safe here! I do know one other planning the Hi-Vis yellow on a Voodoo blue sled here but that's what happens with a good idea!

G
Jul 16, 2010
I'm a Powder Coater. I have 16 years experience. My shop coats thousands of aluminum parts annually for commercial customers, some of which are for the military, and you know how picky they can be when it comes to a mil-spec. For those of you that are leery of having aluminum parts powder coated for fear of weakening them, this is what you and your coater need to know. http://digitalcommons.lmu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1009&context=mech_fac

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Great paper...Thank you for that post!!

I've seen some of your work over on HCS...Sweet!

From the Paper:
Looks like to me like it says that LTCP (Low Temp Cure Powder) has negligible differences. LTCP (250º F/121º C)...

The effect of 1, 3, and 5 cycles of low-temperature
(121 C for 30 min) heat treatment was almost negligible
on the mechanical and electrical properties of 6061-T6,
2024-T3, and 7075-T6 alloys.

BUT...
Conventional powder-coating , High temp (400º F/ 204º C) has Significant effects on the strength of the alloy... Falling below the acceptable AMS standards for the material.

The effect of 1, 3, and 5 cycles of high temperature 204º C
for 12 min was significant: 6061-T6 and 7075-T6 showed
overaging trends (7075-T6 showed more pronounced overaging)
while 2024-T3 showed age hardening trends.

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
It all boils down to the coater and methods used...

It all boils down to the coater and methods used.

I've seen rails (7129 T-5) severely softened by powcoating process... to the point where they lasted less than one ride... and others that used low temp that were apparently unaffected.

Not Sure what the forged or extruded materials are that are used on the AXYS... nor the specific metallurgy used in the cast bulkheads.

If you really want to go with powcoat... find someone that uses quality methods, with the understanding of the material being coated.

If they tell you that "There's no way our ovens can soften the metal or remove the heat treat."... Walk out IMO.. and find someone that has more experience.

I know of some powder coat shops that will bake aluminum for 30min+ at 425º-F (+)..... Heck, this report is showing only 12 min. cycles.

For me, I like to paint using a tough catalyzed, single-stage urethane paint... that you can have mixed in 1000's of custom colors...gives powdercoat toughness and great colors... and no risk to the metallurgy. I'm a fan of the U-Tech 3.8HSP or U-350.

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
I've heard rumors that it is the new(er) Kaiser-7033 alloy.... but I don't have any solid info on that.

7033 was developed by Kaiser specifically for A-Arm components in the automotive and ATV markets... and addresses the corrosion issues of typical 7000-series aluminum... at 60% higher strength than 60601 alloy.

Here's a good SAE article on that alloy.

http://articles.sae.org/5669/

It's interesting that Polaris seems to be moving at least some of their vehicles to the forged a-arm... including the new Slingshot... I'll bet that a large portion of the wheeled and snow fleet from Polaris will feature forged arms in the future for many reasons... lighter, stronger & less cost after tooling up.... and for the sleds... repeatability in processing quality.

Only time will tell with these this season as they get tested by the best.... the consumer that could seemingly break and anvil with a rubber mallet!

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
I've looked at that before ...but it doesn't give any info on thermal or overaging properties.

Talking to a GM engineer... GM uses the alloy in the Vette... tells me that that alloy should have the similar thermal/aging properties to other 7000-series aluminum.

Again... I have no official confirmation that Polaris is using this alloy for the arms.

It's interesting that the research paper done on the Powdercoating affect on Aluminum posted above, shows that 7075 was negatively-affected more than the 6061 alloy in conventional powder coating.

AK... I'm sincerely interested in seeing the real world testing you'll be doing on your arms.

Last edited:
G
Jul 16, 2010
7 series aluminum is alloyed with zinc which adds great strength but severely diminishes it ability to be cast.
There is new technology called spray casting which yields a super high strength alloy. At this time its only available in bar stock, other shapes are likely to come as the technology progresses.

Premium Features