• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

king cat stator question??

D
Nov 26, 2007
hayden Idaho
my brother has an 05 king cat, was out riding on saturday and all the sudden boom, dead sled!! We checked for spark, no spark, got it home in the shop and two pulls it starts right up!! Now to my point, i've been told it's probably the stator.. if so, how do you check/ remove it??

W
Nov 27, 2007
bear creek, montana
hi
the stator sits behind the recoil and flywheel
remove pipe and can
remove the recoil (should be 4 bolts )
remove the flywheel (u will need a puller )
there is the stator, should be 3 screws that hold it in
problem with that type of issue it that it only happens when it wants to
the best is to replace it
i have an 03 800 and have replaced mine twice
others in group 03 900 carbed and efi and 05 kk all have had the same issue
the other three had theres checked and were told that the part(stator) was good (ohmed)
put it back together ran for a few minutes and nothing(no sparky)
when they replaced it(stator)
problem solved
i know it sucks and will cost some money
just do it once and save the headache

my 2 c

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
For the sled to lose spark and then have it come back I am going to say its not your stator. When the stator goes bad its gone, It doesnt come back. You need to go through all the sleds wireing, check for broken or rubbed wires, or lose connections. Just doesnt sound like a stator to me. You can test eh stator without removing it form the sled. Its pretty easy just unplug the main wire coming off of it and test it with your ohm meter. your going to need to call your dealer and get the specs to see if it test within spec. Thats no guarntee though, when my stator went bad on my 04 EFI its still tested within spec, But after checking and or replacing every other thing on the sled I rewound the stator. That took care of it. Even the place (stator corp in mass.) told me is tested within spec. Still thats what the problem was.

S
Dec 7, 2007
Elkhorn NE
Are you running a can? If so I believe that can contribute to excess heat that takes out your stator. Stator corp is the place to send it, I would do that before buying a new one. It could be other things but I bet after you do all the rig a ma role you will end up back at the stator.

Premium Features