• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Good news for sledders in Teton County ...

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I figure most folks have probably been following this on Facebook, but for those who haven't ... Some good news came out of the Teton County WPLI Iniative earlier this week.

https://amplcommunity.org/new-blog/2018/10/18/teton-county-pli-concludes

Teton County PLI concludes

Dear AMPL community,

It’s hard to explain the feeling of relief that I’m sure you are sharing with me after Tuesday's WPLI outcome. As you know, we embarked on this journey two years ago with the primary objective of making sure the mechanized and motorized recreation community had a voice with respect to responsible recreation on our public lands. Tuesday's decision by the Teton County Board of County Commissioners voting 5-0 against a proposal which would have resulted in a loss of over 30% of the limited public lands open to us shows that you were heard and that you are a valued member of the community.

I’m also really proud of the fact that once again we were respectful of differing opinions in a setting where we clearly outnumbered the opposition 5-1. I think that in itself speaks volumes for mountain bikers, snowmobilers and dirt bikers. All AMPL asks of you in return is to continue to be good stewards of the land for ours and future generations!

Jesse Combs
President
Advocates for Multi-Use of Public Lands

I have to admit I was surprised by the final vote. I'd gone to the first meeting they had two weeks ago in which they were supposed to vote, and they wound up punting that week. The impression I had from the Teton County Commissioners that day was that they were really trying in a round-about way to work the situation so they could offer a yes vote, but after numerous pro-access from the local area got up and spoke I think it dawned on them they might want to reconsider some things.

So they postponed the vote by a week. The wilderness advocacy groups took out a bunch more full-page ads in the Jackson Hole Sentinel, and I can only assume they were all over Facebook too ...

And the end result was the Teton County Commission voted "NO" 5-0, therefore unanimously rejecting the proposal the Teton County WPLI board came up with.

The WPLI process that has been going on for the last several years is wrapping up this year, so the recomendations from each county's WPLI boards went before the respective county commissioners, who would then formalize that recommendation and pass it up the chain to state and federal legislators, etc ...

Good to see some common sense prevail on the Island of Jackson Hole :)

Premium Features