• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Temp light and check engine light in deep pow?

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
2 out of 3 XMs had this show up on Friday afternoon.

A quick look in the owner's manual shows a muffler overtemp condition. At the time I thought the underhood temps were high and the IAT sensor was complaining of hot air as the outside vents were choked off with pow :)

I stopped, opened the side panels for 10 minutes and continued, sled ran fine. I did the procedure to pull current codes yesterday and it says there are none.

Anything to be concerned about?

S
Sep 2, 2008
Bozeman, MT
Mine started showing those lights after I installed the can. Do they have cans?

Also sounds to me like the valve on the air box might be a little sticky. You might be way ahead of me on these two issues and I am missing something but that's where I'd start. Good luck!

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
All 3 sleds are dead stock and broken in. Temp gauge showed normal, so I wasn't too concerned with that.

I'm thinking this is a non issue but wanted to be sure.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
A guy asked me about the same thing last night, I'd never seen it before.

So... it's telling you the CAN is hot??? how anal. :D

Making sure you're protected from burning your hand if you open the panel???

C
Mar 3, 2006
Utah
Mine kepd doing that a few weeks ago, and when I took it into the dealership, they said Skidoo just released an update to fix it. Said the temp sensors were too sensitive or something. My check engine light hasn't come on in the last 3 rides. Mine is also stock with no can on it.

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
No issues with either of my Freerides - one with HPS can, one with stock can. Have over 500 miles between the two with no codes or warnings so far. I wonder if just a little bit of difference in how far the probe is tightened in the can affects that. My buddys 12' with a BMP can was throwing codes all the time until he put that spacer deal on. Non-issue for stock can, but you might check it anyway. Also, used to get the check engine if the high/low beam or hand warmer switch was partially switched, but also probably won't see that with the new style buttons. Just thinkin......

Last edited:

Tahoepow

Lifetime Membership
Aug 7, 2012
North shore Lake Tahoe
Good to hear about this update fixing the engine light always coming on. I took my 2014 XM to the dealer for the 10 hr service and buds found 24 faults (CEL)related to a temp couplar thingy. Stock can. They performed an update along with the normal service stuff and told me to ride it and see what happpens.
I knew the light was coming on a bunch but 24 times wow. I just shut it down and started it back up again, no light. Thought it was a coolant level issue, but no sensor for low coolant come to find out. Seemed to flash when I made a hard turn with throttle or sharp braking going down a hill. Gotta love that 4 year warrranty.

S
Nov 29, 2012
I'm having trouble with my 14 doing the same thing, I'm running a j&t performance can. Then I put the stock exhaust back on it and it didn't fix the problem. I'm getting both check muffler light and check engine light. It won't hardly run now. I have a 13 xm with an hps and it runs great. I have around 600 miles on my 14

Tahoepow

Lifetime Membership
Aug 7, 2012
North shore Lake Tahoe
Anyone riding the 14XM with the engine light problems get the reflash. Mine finally had the break-in % shown on the dash. After the reflash no problems to report. Rode in some deep heavy Tahoe pow wide open for long periods, rolls, stucks, donuts, and ran like a top. Had to adjust the clickers to 4 to get the 7900 rpm. It takes some time to get everything dialed but I'm learning more about this machine every adventure it takes me on. When it pulls my arms straight and the skis go up I'm real happy.

ryanjeri

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
ID
My 14 is doing the same, done it for a while I have a little over 500 miles on it,
Ridding buddy has a 13 doing the same thing.

E

efidart

Jan 28, 2010
Alberta
Flash

Just got mine back from the dealer, 2013 XM. Have an MBRP can and never had a code on the sled last year, went in for recall and had the ECU flashed. Now every time I rode it in the first 10 minutes got the muffler code, shut it off and turn it on then gone for the rest of the day.

Took it to my dealer and they advised me if the ECU was flashed with software update before Dec 19 you will get the code with an aftermarket can. Everything after this date of a reflash has the fix to cure the light and codes.

tuffsled

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2008
Kent WA
muffler check engine

I have 13sp got muffler check engine light several times last week 600 mi but it would go away and the temp gauge was reading okay. finally found the sensor on top of can had backed out almost all the way. tightened up and fixed error lights.

K
Nov 15, 2013
Washington State
Haven't been able to verify this but I've been told on the 2014 they also have it to where the sensor will not only tell you when it is too hot but will also send the same error code (check engine with temp sensor) when it is "too cold." I guess it is suppose to encourage you to verify that the exhaust sensor didn't fall out.

I had the temp sensor go off on my 14 when I was about 2 minutes away from the truck literally just after it had completed the warm up cycle. No way was I too hot. I have an aftermarket can and a billet aluminum sensor adapter (suppose to prevent the sensor from reading too hot). I rode the rest of the day no problem and removed the billet adapter and have never had the problem again.

Premium Features