• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Stage 1 upgrade kit for MPI Yamaha 180 kit

Matt@MPI

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2010
Stage 1 upgrade kit for MPI Yamaha 180 kit

This kit converts your Yamaha 180 kit into a true Stage 1 kit. Includes everything you need to make the upgrade. By upgrading your 180 to a stage 1 you can run more boost over the base kit. This kit is an easy bolt on to the stock 180 kit.

TURBO
MTN-1100 $1095.00

The Turbo upgrade includes:

New high flow intercooler
Dual sided waste gate
Stiffer Blow off valve spring
New aluminum charge tube
All the necessary hoses and hardware
Re-flash of your stock GEMS controller

photo2_zps83cca8e8.jpg

SUPERCHARGER
MSN-1100 $1195.00

The Supercharger upgrade includes:

New high flow intercooler
New pulleys for high boost
Cold air kit
Stiffer Blow off valve spring
All the necessary hoses and hardware
Re-flash of your stock GEMS controller

superupgradephoto_zps586017c7.jpg

Last edited:

Matt@MPI

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2010
The 180 kit was designed to run a 6psi. The reason for that was to run safe on pump gas and also to keep the cost down. The intercooler is expensive to make.

We use high quality intercooler cores that are made in the USA (no Chinese cores used at MPI) then tig welded in house.

We are pushing our luck running these kits above the 6# of boost with heat caused by compressing the air.

You start to cross into that boost vs. heat battle. As we increase the boost we increase the heat and there for start to loose efficiency.

This upgrade will allow you to gain some safety back when you increase the boost.

These upgrades designed to run the supercharger or the turbo at its max output of 12-14#’s of boost depending on your altitude.

The intercooler is really easy to install you just un-bolt your stock air box and bolt the intercooler in place.

Last edited by a moderator:

A.Granath

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2012
Sundsvall - Sweden
The intercooler is really easy to install you just un-bolt your stock air box and bolt the intercooler in place. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

I guess you need to move the small tank for coolant and grind down the mount for it?

Matt@MPI

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2010
Will your upgrade fit on the push 180 kit? I bought my turbo before the mpi kit came out.

We can make it fit. We use a unique way to pair the throttle body to the airbox/intercooler. We have a billet plate the attaches to the TB and then the airbox/intercooler bolts to the billet plate and is sealed with o-rings. No chance of it blowing off. We could sell you the parts you need to retrofit this to your kit.<O:p</O:p

TB plate.jpg

Powder Man

Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2009
Kennewick wa
Sounds good I'll be in touch about it, anyone in particular I should talk too? I'm thinking of trying a different fueling setup than I currently run so I'm really only interested in your intercooler setup. I did blow off my manifold multiple times last year and like you o ring setup.

Matt@MPI

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2010
Sounds good I'll be in touch about it, anyone in particular I should talk too? I'm thinking of trying a different fueling setup than I currently run so I'm really only interested in your intercooler setup. I did blow off my manifold multiple times last year and like you o ring setup.

Talk to me! I'll help you out. The bolt on throttle plate is pretty cool.

Matt@MPI

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2010
sending my sled to outlaw this week. does this kit include the factory ecu updates?

Good place to take it! Dustin knows his stuff. The update doesn't include "factory ECU re-flash" It does include a re-flash of your GEMS controller. The re-flash of the Factory ECU is also a very good option.

A

acutah

Nov 27, 2007
Kaysville, UT
Matt, glad to see you are back at MPI. I absolutely LOVE my 180T kit. By far it has been my favorite MPI kit and this is my 4th of 4 different kits. i'd love a little more boost!

A few questions:

1. Why not offer the kit with a manual boost controller so we can control boost based on our huge elevation changes?
  2. Is this 12-15#'s still on pump gas? If not, even more the need for the boost controller in case race gas is not easily accessible from time to time.
  3. I won't need the gems reflash since I went with the MotoPsyco fuel bridge. This was an AMAZING improvement over the gems. How will this affect the "fuel bridge"? MOTO...Maybe you can help out with this one?

Matt@MPI

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2010
Matt, glad to see you are back at MPI. I absolutely LOVE my 180T kit. By far it has been my favorite MPI kit and this is my 4th of 4 different kits. i'd love a little more boost!

A few questions:

1. Why not offer the kit with a manual boost controller so we can control boost based on our huge elevation changes?
  2. Is this 12-15#'s still on pump gas? If not, even more the need for the boost controller in case race gas is not easily accessible from time to time.
  3. I won't need the gems reflash since I went with the MotoPsyco fuel bridge. This was an AMAZING improvement over the gems. How will this affect the "fuel bridge"? MOTO...Maybe you can help out with this one?
How much boost are you running now? 12-15# would be really pushing it on pump gas. Boost controllers are great but what do you do about clutching? If your clutching is set perfect at 12# and you drop it back to 8# to run pump gas what do you do with your clutching and you fuel programming? We made to really cheap and easy manual boost controller that was a simple toggle switch that you could use different main jets out of a carburetor to change your boost between to set amounts. I used it to control my boost in the parking lot and trail on the way up and then flip it to high boost when in the powder. Cheap and easy. If I understand the "fuel bridge" it’s a set program? Or is it boost referenced? <O:p</O:p

Last edited:
T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
The fuel bridge is boost referenced. So there is no issue with changing boost pressure. I still find it crazy that all setups are not like that. Boost can vary so much by elevation and other different things that it seems to be the only really logical way to do it, albeit a more expensive option.

A

acutah

Nov 27, 2007
Kaysville, UT
I'm about 8# and it runs great. I do throw in a bit of octane boost. Clutching is exactly one of the reasons a boost controller would be nice. Not only elevation but snow condition greatly impacts clutching. With a little turn of the know you can have your rpm dialed in perfect based on you exact location and snow condition.

I have the toggle setup and it certainly works but there is a lot of middle ground between the truck and typical riding spot. There were just several times last year I found myself wanting that middle ground and even sometimes a little more boost so I could hit the targeted rpm.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Matt@MPI

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2010
I'm about 8# and it runs great. I do throw in a bit of octane boost. Clutching is exactly one of the reasons a boost controller would be nice. Not only elevation but snow condition greatly impacts clutching. With a little turn of the know you can have your rpm dialed in perfect based on you exact location and snow condition.

I have the toggle setup and it certainly works but there is a lot of middle ground between the truck and typical riding spot. There were just several times last year I found myself wanting that middle ground and even sometimes a little more boost so I could hit the targeted rpm.

8# is about the limit of what I would run on the non-intercooler. As far as the boost controller goes. The prologger that we make is really cool for boost control. If you program 10# it will hold that. It's not that much different then other electronic boost controller but it has all your gauges in one spot like, AFR, water temp, and RPM. It will also record what’s going on so you can review everything in real time later. I'll be the first to say that it’s not the best looking gauge out but I'll say that it’s the most durable. We lost a Nytro two years ago to the bottom of a lake that had the proto type turbo kit on it. It was under water for almost a week before it was pulled out. I still run the same prologger today. We still run the same turbo! <O:p</O:p

Last edited:

Matt@MPI

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2010

8# is about the limit of what I would run on the non-intercooler. As far as the boost controller goes. The prologger that we make is really cool for boost control. If you program 10# it will hold that. It's not that much different then other electronic boost controller but it has all your gauges in one spot like, AFR, water temp, and RPM. It will also record what’s going on so you can review everything in real time later. I'll be the first to say that it’s not the best looking gauge out but I'll say that it’s the most durable. We lost a Nytro two years ago to the bottom of a lake that had the proto type turbo kit on it. It was under water for almost a week before it was pulled out. I still run the same prologger today. We still run the same turbo! <O:p</O:p

Last edited:
P
Nov 27, 2007
How do I order.

Matt, I PM'd you about this kit, who do I get ahold of to get one on Order? I do not see them offerd on MPI's web site..

Thanks, Justin.

Premium Features