• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Let's talk HID lights for trucks

whitefish

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kent WA
Anyone used those HID conversion kits for an existing headlight? I have seen them for sale for as little as $40 up to several hundred. I have tried different bulbs from cheapo xenons to the nicer PIAA's. They help but are a far cry from the HID's in my friends Mercedes. I'm sure the existing lens/reflectors have a large affect on the performance but if they help it may be worth a shot. Also, what light color is best? Don't really want blue or violet unless they truly work better. :beer;

Last edited:
M
Nov 26, 2007
I looked into these alot before I bought my set.

What I found out on a chevy forum. Is that most all ballast are made by the same company.

I bought threw VVME, kit cost around 40 or 50 bucks.

I intalled them, had them in for about 2-3 weeks. Took them out.

THe problems with most is sometimes when you start the car, one ballast will not ignite, you have to resart. The biggest problem with mine was switching form stock high beams to the HID kit low beams, it would take about 1-2 seconds for the HID kit to lite the bulbs to full power....come on really dim and take the 1-2 seconds to go to full power...scared the chit out of me a few times.

And it blinds oncomming drives, unless you adjust the headlights not to. THen the lights are not any better than the aftermarket replacement bulbs (which is what I put back into it)

now my HID kit is sitting on my bench...

V
Dec 22, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Thats the problem with just tossing HID's into your factory headlight assembly, the light doesnt focus the same way the original bulbs do, and it ends up as much more of a all over wash as opposed to a focus beam, and half the time time doesnt give you any more distance, and is horrible in the snow cause the light reaches so high, not to mention blinding everyone else out there. Need a HID projection lense to really make em work. Check out the headlight assemblies on anything that comes factory with HIDs...

M
Nov 26, 2007
Thats the problem with just tossing HID's into your factory headlight assembly, the light doesnt focus the same way the original bulbs do, and it ends up as much more of a all over wash as opposed to a focus beam, and half the time time doesnt give you any more distance, and is horrible in the snow cause the light reaches so high, not to mention blinding everyone else out there. Need a HID projection lense to really make em work. Check out the headlight assemblies on anything that comes factory with HIDs...

Yep, my Syvania (sp) from Wal Mart are alot better than the HID for vision...

whitefish

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kent WA
Anyone tried the project style conversion headlights and then added the HID's and had success? It just amazes me how crappy the lights are in our $40K+ trucks. Ideally I would like to have some HID's that are on par with a new Mercedes with a washer and wiper.

Premium Features