• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BCA Float 22 or Float 25 Turbo

pankyy340

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2012
Wisconsin
I'm looking at getting a new bag and the two that I'm looking at are Float 25 turbo with the 1.0 cylinder and the float 22 with the 2.0 cylinder. prices are about the same $553 for the 25 and $570 for the 22. I'm looking for pros and cons of both. the last couple of years I have been using an ABS escape 15.

GSPLewie

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2016
I have a Float 25 Turbo and love it, but depending on space you need in bag, the 22 with the 2.0 system (snaller/lighter) might be the way to go. Both bags will do you fine though.

willjogervais

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW Minnesota
I know this isn't what you asked, just my opinion. I don't have a comment on either bag, but if you can budget the higher cost, I would go for the bca mtn pro vest. I won't ever go back, it's just so much easier on your back and you have the extra protection. I don't know anyone personally that has regretted upgrading to a vest type bag

J
Jul 31, 2014
Fairhaven
If I were looking at an airbag pack right now just for the sled (I'd actually like to get one that's good for ski touring too) it would be this one from Klim:
https://www.klim.com/Atlas-26-Avalanche-Airbag-Pak-4017-000

The battery powered capacitor architecture has some major positives. You can pop the bag without having to figure out where to get the canister refilled, it's lighter than the canister, you can fly with it, it doesn't take up as much pack space as the canister. I'll probably pick up the Black Diamond equivalent that also uses the AlpRide system since it should be a little lighter.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Float 25 Turbo has the 2.0 system now:

https://backcountryaccess.com/product/bca-float-25-turbo-avalanche-airbag-2-0/

Mine just showed up today, but haven't had a chance to try it yet. I went with the Float 25 over the 22 for the extra storage and exterior shovel pouch. Probably don't need either for an average ride. But I do the odd overnight trip...and have gotten creative with my old pack including strapping a chainsaw and old random stuff to exterior pocket before. So just trying to leave options open for scenarios that might come up.

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
I made the same change (from an Escape 15 to a Float 25 Turbo) mid last winter. I ride with a Tek Vest inside my outer layer. (Jacket or mono). The Escape 15 worked for years but seams like it's a little on the small side. Tried the Float 25 Turbo, it's slightly bigger and just fits better. Sold the Escape earlier this week.

As mentioned above, I really like the outside access to the shovel and probe pocket when/if needed. [I still carry probe and shovel on my sled and duplicates in the pack for back up if I get separated. Or if needed by someone that forgot theirs at home ..... ]

In terms of the 1.0 vs 2.0, still looking into that. I don't carry much in my pack beyond survival gear but a little extra space with a smaller tank can't hurt if I can convert it over.

pankyy340

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2012
Wisconsin
Float 25 Turbo has the 2.0 system now:

https://backcountryaccess.com/product/bca-float-25-turbo-avalanche-airbag-2-0/

Mine just showed up today, but haven't had a chance to try it yet. I went with the Float 25 over the 22 for the extra storage and exterior shovel pouch. Probably don't need either for an average ride. But I do the odd overnight trip...and have gotten creative with my old pack including strapping a chainsaw and old random stuff to exterior pocket before. So just trying to leave options open for scenarios that might come up.

I did see the new ones do have the 2.0 but I was looking at the 1.0 since it's the same price as the 22. I think I'm going to go with the float 22 2.0 I don't think that I really need the extra room of the 25 but the shovel pouch would be nice. thanks for the info.

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
If I were looking at an airbag pack right now just for the sled (I'd actually like to get one that's good for ski touring too) it would be this one from Klim:
https://www.klim.com/Atlas-26-Avalanche-Airbag-Pak-4017-000

The battery powered capacitor architecture has some major positives. You can pop the bag without having to figure out where to get the canister refilled, it's lighter than the canister, you can fly with it, it doesn't take up as much pack space as the canister. I'll probably pick up the Black Diamond equivalent that also uses the AlpRide system since it should be a little lighter.
It's made by black diamond, which, donates to the environMENTAL groups that are trying, actively, to end snowmobiling on public land.

I refuse to support the enemy in any way...
Do what you want with your money....

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

J
Jul 31, 2014
Fairhaven
It's made by black diamond, which, donates to the environMENTAL groups that are trying, actively, to end snowmobiling on public land.

I refuse to support the enemy in any way...
Do what you want with your money....

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure that the Klim bag is made by BD or if it just uses the same airbag system which comes from a Swiss company called Alpride. Alpride licenses out there tech to other companies, Motorfist included.

BTW, do you have any recent documentation that shows Black Diamond is anti-motorized recreation? The only information that I've seen was very old and my understanding is that a bunch of companies had made one time donations without really watching where it went and have since corrected that. I'm ok with people looking out for the environment but not ok with radical activism (which is publicly supported by Patagonia).

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
BTW, do you have any recent documentation that shows Black Diamond is anti-motorized recreation? The only information that I've seen was very old and my understanding is that a bunch of companies had made one time donations without really watching where it went and have since corrected that. I'm ok with people looking out for the environment but not ok with radical activism (which is publicly supported by Patagonia).

They are. Here's a link to their current advocacy groups from their website - http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en/sustainability.html#groups

Not hard to find. Don't be fooled by their word salad - a portion of every dollar they receive goes towards groups whose mission is to end powersports and hunting - they just use their fascist version of public access rights to accomplish their goals. These people want you gone, too, if you don't conform. They are not the only ones - Habervision is another that has played it both ways - they will take your money, and then use it against you. So will VF, who owns The North Face, among others.

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
I have a 1.0 25 Turbo. Plenty of storage and isn't too heavy. The external shovel carry is a plus. Would recommend.

Ditto, to the statement above.

Edit - forgot I responded to this thread already. Do I get to vote twice ? ;-)

Last edited:

AKDoug

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2009
I bought my son a 2.0 Float 25 for Christmas. It is a sweet pack, lots better than my old school 32. It also is slightly larger in all the straps and fits BIG people much better.

Premium Features