• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BRP Warrany Bulletin on 2018 850 E-Tec

longlugs

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2013
Northern Utah
A heads-up for guys that have already taken delivery on their 2018 850's. I went to take a look at my new sled at the dealership yesterday and the owner stated they were busy checking all of the new arrivals for a possible out of spec bolt. He said they had found a few with broken or stripped bolts.

Warranty Bulletin 2018-4
November 3, 2017
850 E-Tec - Driven pulley bearing support bolts out of specification

Testing involves checking torque specs (24 lb/ft) on the two bolts. Seems BRP is out in front of the problem and has remedies in place to replace broke/stripped bolts.

Jblaze74

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2011
Reno/North Tahoe
:popcorn: didnt like the feeling with the tq wrench, pulled the bolt, threads deffinatley damaged....i'm guessing they just run a longer bolt with a flange nut?

Last edited:

NoSoup4U

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2009
Northern Utah
Checked mine. Top one is good. Bottom one is stripped...

To locate the bolts, the top one is just on the right edge of the secondary about 5:00. The second one is a few inches below it next to the primary. 13mm bolts.

Last edited:

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
Checked mine and my dads last night. All 4 were loose.
73c327b91ef0eeaac0ccf9dc8d1fdcbc.jpg

That is my dads top bolt. Pulled it out to toss a bit off blue loctite on. Barley hit 10 ftlbs and it broke clean off. I believe the issue with loose bolts is they tightened them up too fast and stretched them. Now they won’t stay tight. So I pulled all four, put in 10.9 metric bolts, blue loctite, and torqued to proper torque.

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
I checked mine a couple of hours ago. The top one was dead on, however, I had to clock the bottom one about an 1/8 of a turn to get too 24 ftlb took them both out, threads look good and added a dab of loctite. Surprised they didn't already have the yellow stuff, not like Doo to leave fasteners un-prepped...

IMG_0290.jpg

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
However it is like skidoo to use weak hardware... Junk. don't match the technology of the sled. Cheap nuts and bolts. Bitch over.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
However it is like skidoo to use weak hardware... Junk. don't match the technology of the sled. Cheap nuts and bolts. Bitch over.

actually that is not true at all and the bolt is not weak, sometimes using the strongest bolt is not ideal as it allows give which in some cases is important. Its like when someone breaks a drive shaft and thinks the answer is making one part way stronger, there has to be some give otherwise other parts, in some cases that cost way more, take more of the brunt and break. That is why engineering is so important on every little part. Mistakes can be made as well as product can be bad or also it could have been over torqued and the bolt stretched and there for an issue, the important thing is it is being addressed quickly, and it is easy.

I just got back from Europe and the Rotax factory and nothing could be further from he truth of your statement, the same is true for the assembly in Valcourt for this issue, I wish all sledders got to see what I saw as it would definately alter your opinion. Dealers have a bulletin on this now so for most people it won't even be an issue , for those who have taken possession, it is an easy fix.

Last edited:

Jblaze74

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2011
Reno/North Tahoe
actually that is not true at all and the bolt is not weak, sometimes using the strongest bolt is not ideal as it allows give which in some cases is important. Its like when someone breaks a drive shaft and thinks the answer is making one part way stronger, there has to be some give otherwise other parts, in some cases that cost way more, take more of the brunt and break. That is why engineering is so important on every little part. Mistakes can be made as well as product can be bad or also it could have been over torqued and the bolt stretched and there for an issue, the important thing is it is being addressed quickly, and it is easy.

I just got back from Europe and the Rotax factory and nothing could be further from he truth of your statement, the same is true for the assembly in Valcourt for this issue, I wish all sledders got to see what I saw as it would definately alter your opinion. Dealers have a bulletin on this now so for most people it won't even be an issue , for those who have taken possession, it is an easy fix.

In the diesel world, everyone praises caterpillar for the strength. Truth is when stuff breaks, usually the bolts are too strong and larger components fail .... id rather replace a bolt than a larger assembly/part.

Seeing this failure on my sled doesn’t worry me, it can be fixed...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R
Dec 28, 2007
Better check em again . Both mine were very loose. Threads appeared good but the bolts were out of round . Very apparent if you spin the bolt in your fingers while trying to hold it tight . Hard to see but its three sided the whole length of the threaded area

20171106_002643.jpg

M
Sep 15, 2014
I hit mine with 24 ft lbs and got about 1/8th turn out of each then a click on the wrench, seemed secure and good to me. Mine were gold bolts with no grade marking on the head. There was a dab of white paint marker, suggesting the torque was done at the factory.

Why do they put a nut on the back side if the bolt is the weak part?

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
I hit mine with 24 ft lbs and got about 1/8th turn out of each then a click on the wrench, seemed secure and good to me. Mine were gold bolts with no grade marking on the head. There was a dab of white paint marker, suggesting the torque was done at the factory.

Why do they put a nut on the back side if the bolt is the weak part?

the nut only goes on if the bolt head snaps while going to proper torque or if it strips, then you use an M8 x 40 instead of the M8 x 30 that is in there and a nut goes on the back to secure the updated longer bolt that goes right through. Yours as of most are perfect so just enjoy.

Premium Features