• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Toms e motion help please

U

Ultralord

Nov 26, 2007
Auburn WA
I have a 14 xm 163 I had a e motion skid installed on it right out of the box never rode sled stock. We had no snow last year so it just sat in the trailer. My 1st ride was not impressed sled was hard to steer and hard to pull on its edge. Today I got to ride a stock 174 xm and a stock 154 they were both easy and fun to ride it took 0 effort to do anything I wanted. They rode mine and said it was the most ski pressure they have ever felt and they struggled to pull sled on its side. Or to turn. Any ideas on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated. 163 summit x front shocks fox evol. Rears fox as well. Slp. Spindles and Mohawk skis. Checked air pressure today front shock 50 lb front shock rear skid was 30 pushed to 70 no change rear shock could not check. In conditions.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Never ran a toms Emotion set up , but several skids with float shocks , they all were in the 120 to 140 range for the front skid shock. Call Toms for baseline settings this just seems wrong.

toms

Lifetime Membership
Feb 9, 2010
CA
www.tomssnowmobile.com
I have a 14 xm 163 I had a e motion skid installed on it right out of the box never rode sled stock. We had no snow last year so it just sat in the trailer. My 1st ride was not impressed sled was hard to steer and hard to pull on its edge. Today I got to ride a stock 174 xm and a stock 154 they were both easy and fun to ride it took 0 effort to do anything I wanted. They rode mine and said it was the most ski pressure they have ever felt and they struggled to pull sled on its side. Or to turn. Any ideas on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated. 163 summit x front shocks fox evol. Rears fox as well. Slp. Spindles and Mohawk skis. Checked air pressure today front shock 50 lb front shock rear skid was 30 pushed to 70 no change rear shock could not check. In conditions.

Have you tried the suspension with stock skis?
Typically stock skis offer the easiest turning ability, but do not always turn accurately. Aftermarket skis usually offers more accurate steering but may require more effort.
Have you considered trying stock spindles?
For the ski shock and skid package what were your expectations for your purchase? What was it over stock you were looking to improve, or change?
Have you let the limiter out from stock? Have you tried 2 additional holes?

Ski shocks
If you are looking for easy front body roll, you can turn your rebound adjust out to 17-20 clicks out (from all the way in) with 45 lbs of air in main, and 80 in Evol. This will not offer much bottom out, but it will definitely roll on its side easy. From these settings you would need to "bracket" your air pressure settings until you find your best comfort zone.

Rear skid; center or front track shock
For the rear 50 lbs. is a really good starting point. If you are looking for "light ski pressure you will need to let the limiter out at least one hole. Again, from this point you would "bracket your air pressure to find your comfort zone.

Rear skid; rear track
For the rear track; 85 main / 120 Evol / Rebound out to 20.

Additional adjustments; rear upper pivot heim
(picture shown with rear arm)

The other adjustment that is available for all of our rear arms is; heim distant adjustment. First note the angle of lower pivot at full extension, no load on sled, (lower pivot should be angled forward slightly) Loosen the jam nut on your heim, then remove the bolt connecting the upper and lower pivot, and unscrew the heim enough to make the lower pivot either straight up 90 degrees in relation to the rail, or if you are looking for more weight transfer move it so the lower pivot is angled ever so slightly back. Re install all nuts and bolts. You would need to bleed all of the air out of both rear skid shocks and cycle your skid to full bottom out to verify you still maintain full travel on skid. This adjustment may require different air pressure settings then stated above.
Should you need more info or help you can contact us by phone 530-862-1128, or email at service@tomssnowmobile.com

E- Mo weight transfer adjustment 001.jpg

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
Take those P.O.S. SLP Spindles OFF and throw them straight in the trash. Ran a set on one of my sleds in the past. Made it the worst steering, handling sled I've had in a long time. Took them off problems went away. If you want to get different spindles use the T3 ones or put the stock 14 ones back on, as skidoo made a change on those for 14.

Defiantly give Toms recommendations a try. Once set up it rocks.

M
Nov 26, 2007
W. WA
Let limiter out 1 hole and put front skid shock at 60-70. It will help, but will not be as light handling and nimble as the T3.

Spot on advise...*edit - I left ctr shock pressure at 50...worked well, haven't had to bump up ctr shock pressure but that would further decrease ski pressure and increase transfer for sure.

Last edited:

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Mohawk skis are complete garbage in our snow. Throw them away. I have a set I would give away for free. They grip way too much. I would suggest going back to the stock or D3's. I run Tom's on all my sleds and they don't make the sled any harder to pull on edge. I am willing bet if take the skis off it's a whole new sled.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Work with Tom.KILLER service after the sale. He gave you a good set up in his post above. You were WAY to soft on the RTS. Mohawks are perfect for a training sled, you are going to get super strong. I'd put the stock skis on it for when you wanna have fun.
Also don't be afraid to fiddle with those pressures a little but if you end up with a terrible set up go right back to what you liked or TOMS recommendations. WRITE DOWN EVERY CHANGE YOU MAKE( I put it all in my phone as a note. I can't remember my setting accurately.
I run mine as soft as I can get away with for tree riding and I don't bash it down the trail. You should be bottoming out a FEW times during the day. Those drop brackets won't take hard bottom outs for long.
If you feel like the sled is either trying to bounce you off the sled or the bars are coming up fast add rebound. I also add a click or three when I go up in pressures.

Premium Features