• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pro vs. XM

S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
Sorry just being honest! Not bashing.
The pro is a good sled but it is underpowered!
That's y I'm looking at the xm.
If the pro was close in climbs I wouldn't be here, I'd be sitting on my pro in the garage.
Just trying to share my experience. I trade highmarks with etecs on the deep days and the pro isn't even close! And I mean 100ft difference. Now when the snow isn't that deep were all even.
Maybe I haven't seen a properly setup pro?
Not trying to be a dick, I seriously want to c a pro keep up with an etc In deep snow! If I can c it then my choice for a new sled will be much easier!
Look at my name. I own all three models but I'm looking at updating either my summit or rmk.

I would say the exact opposite. From what I've seen, the Pro's seem to excel in the deep snow both climbing and boondocking. The ones I've ridden and been around don't seem to climb fast, but they seem to just keep on going. You get into wet, or hard snow, then the power seems to be lacking.

Haven't had any seat time on the XM, but after riding Pro's more, I had to mod my Doo to stay happy w/ the handling characteristics. If I was in the market for a new sled-and wanted to keep it mostly stock, my decision would be based 100% on dealer.

Last edited:

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I own both. 2012s 163 tracks. Last year we were at Whistler late in the year in deep heavy snow. I had been riding the Pro for 3 days straight, my nephew was on the ETEC XP. I took a break from the Pro and was riding the XP in a really steep area with deep snow. My "feeling" was the XP had better power and was getting around better too. Right before I got off I took a run at a steep hill and high marked it. I jumped on the Pro and hit the same hill from the same starting point. To my surprise I topped out within a track width of the XP. So close it was basically a tie. The way the sleds "feel" is very different, the way they perform is pretty similar in deep snow.

Hurricane Tim

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2009
I own both. 2012s 163 tracks. Last year we were at Whistler late in the year in deep heavy snow. I had been riding the Pro for 3 days straight, my nephew was on the ETEC XP. I took a break from the Pro and was riding the XP in a really steep area with deep snow. My "feeling" was the XP had better power and was getting around better too. Right before I got off I took a run at a steep hill and high marked it. I jumped on the Pro and hit the same hill from the same starting point. To my surprise I topped out within a track width of the XP. So close it was basically a tie. The way the sleds "feel" is very different, the way they perform is pretty similar in deep snow.

In heavy snow, I believe you. We ride in Montana, and the snow is normally lighter/ dryer than the snow you were in. That is where the Pro really stays on top, and outperforms the higher powered XP.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Tim completely agree. I also rode Wyoming and felt like the sled was built for that lighter, dryer snow. Which I'm sure it was. Whereas the XP was developed much more for the BC/WA style heavy wet snow. But again we are talking feet, not even sled lengths let alone 100 feet in deep snow. The Pro also has some things that really bug me. The Pro has a terrible ride stock especially the skid. Smokes like a chimney on start up but uses a third of the oil an ETEC uses. The fit and finish also seem to be a lesser standard too.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I live and ride central Washington . Pretty heavy snow.
My track speed on hill climbs is 45-50 mph. My buddies pro is 39-42. At 6, 000-7, 000 ft. He is putting on a 163 2.5 C.E. from a 155. Cause he's tired of me whooping him. Mines a 153.
I'm gonna ride both the pro and xm this season and decide for myself which is better for me!
I think I'll even try the 13 proclimb to see how it compares!

Hurricane Tim

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2009
I live and ride central Washington . Pretty heavy snow.
My track speed on hill climbs is 45-50 mph. My buddies pro is 39-42. At 6, 000-7, 000 ft. He is putting on a 163 2.5 C.E. from a 155. Cause he's tired of me whooping him. Mines a 153.
I'm gonna ride both the pro and xm this season and decide for myself which is better for me!
I think I'll even try the 13 proclimb to see how it compares!

I think your speedometer is quite optimistic. I also think your 09 Cat must really be pumped if it's whooping on the Pro.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
That's what I thought. So we used a GPS and ran 1/2 mile with each sled and the speedometer was within 1 mph on both sleds.
Before the slp pipe our sleds were fairly even and my track speed was 41-45 mph. My buddy's say there's something specialwith my sled. I let them ride it and they can't believe how much faster and farther up the hill it goes.
Were not into big hillclimbs but there were to many times that the pro couldn't make it out last season.

Brutis20

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Canada
I got the 2012 Pro 163 and rode a few times with the 12 etec 163. I think they are quite close, to me it seemed the pro got around easier in the fluffy stuff and opposite in the heavier stuff as far as climbing goes. I used to be all doo but switched after the xp. I still think overall the doo should have the edge with the HP and bigger track but quite impressed how the pro is directly competative. Doo has an awsome trail ride but that front end I find myself fighting when getting on edge especially compared to the pro. Pro defineatley could use 10 more horse to seal the deal... Its going to be a very intersting year and maybe 2014 I will be back on doo but I will be watching very close! I am actually trying to convince a buddy to go XM to have a good comparison sled around...haha.

Good riding!

W

wasatchcomm

Aug 17, 2009
Pinedale wy.
My buddy's say there's something specialwith my sled. I let them ride it and they can't believe how much faster and farther up the hill it goes.

i had a 09m8 that was built with a slp pipe, it was a freak just like yours...
i have a 12 cat, 12 poo, and i cant help think how my 09m8 would have stacked up against them, like you and your buddies say, mine was the same, crazy how well that sled would go in steep, deep, probably best running sled ive ever owned....

Snodawg

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Selah, WA
OK, I am the one that rides the Pro that Summ8rmk is talking about. What he says is true. First off, I do think his speedo is off a bit. Every ride when we get back to the truck, he has several more miles than me and we seem to be doing the same stuff while riding. Coincidental?? IDK. But our snow is generally heavy stuff and the stock 5.1 track just doesn't seem to like to climb in it. So this year (after talking to many people) I decided to go to a Camo Ex 2.5 in a 163 length. Tired of gettin whooped. Hopefully this will do the trick along with a C3 powersports extended belt drive stuffed in a Vanamburg tunnel. As far as Summ8rmk's 09 M8, I have nicknamed it the "MCR" Magic Carpet Ride. This sled just seems to work. My 07 M8 wouldn't hold a candle to it. My Bro's 11 M8 162 won't compare to it either. Even before he installed the SLP stuff, this sled rocked, bone stock. To this day, I can hop on his sled and instantly feel comfortable on it and make it do whatever I want. That's not completely possible on the 11 M8. I don't know what it is but his sled just works, all the time, every day, any conditions. I have never rode a sled like his. I hate to see him get rid of it. As far as my sled goes, last season I had FTXMotorsports setup and balance the clutching as well as revalve the shocks. I really love the way the Pro handles and rides. My only complaint is it has never seemed to be a serious hillclimber. Hopefully, this year will be different, but we spend most of our time in the trees anyways and that where this sled rocks. I haven't rode an XP or an XM so I can't comment on them.

glassman

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2003
Hinton, Alberta
I hate to admit it, but stock to stock the XP seems to work better in climbing than my PRO. The XP has a better (and wider) stock track IMO and the HP is an advantage. But, if you put the 2.5 CE on the Pro (in our snow) It is alot closer. I still prefer the handling characteristics of the Pro, as I ride tight technical stuff mostly, but we all know it is personal preference. I cant wait to try the XM, just like everyone, and form my own opinon on the machine. Until then, it is hard to prove any theorys or personal comparasons to me, as they are based on your preference and experiences, which can change at any time. I do enjoy reading the unbiased experiences though, thanks for that!

Last edited:
M

mtn mike on boost

Nov 26, 2007
Woodinville,WA
Sorry if i am recived wrong, but i have been struggling reading this thread:sorry:
It starts off XM vs PRO and then because most that are chiming in
havent ridden the XM, it has turned PRO vs XP. Now i am not brand
loyal, and i am not bias because i am coming from an M chasiss. I
never really liked the doo sled's and i always attributed that mainly
to the 16" track, so when i heard about the t motion and the flex track
i new i had to ride it.

The day i got seat time on the XM i was in a great position to compare because we had great snow and my ridding partner was on an e tec XP
that works very well with Rooster Built clutching, camo X 2.5 and basically stock susp and motor.

I got an the XP first and it felt like a good runner, that e tec motor is a pretty stong runner without alot of mods. But it handled just like i remembered,
not real mountain friendly, and kind of unpredictable.

Then got on the XM. WHOLE NOTHER MACHINE. I am not going to compare power related preformance because the XM clutching was stock, but they both felt strong. Its where the handling comes into play that theXM walks away. I would relate it to coming off a king cat and getting on an M series. you just cant help but smile:bounce:

I can here the Pro guys right now saying, ya but the pro is still better.
You might be right, cant wait to get my new XM and find out:thumb:

Last edited:
W

whittaker727

Nov 26, 2007
Naples, Id
I am a Pro guy and I can't wait to try the XM and finally have some respect for SkiDoo as a mountain sled. I look forward to spending a couple days on the sled and really developing a side by side comparison opinion.

C

cbc24

Nov 26, 2007
gp
Im gonna say pro, I aint sold on skidoo's ball joint suspension, that will wear out over a season, and dont tell me it wont , they couldn't build a rear skid too last on any of the older summits either.

R

rmk01r1der

Apr 30, 2008
ND
You know everyone on this page is gonna come back and say well polaris hasn't figured out how to build a motor that lasts more then a season... :face-icon-small-con

C

cbc24

Nov 26, 2007
gp
Never heard much actually never even heard of one person blowing a pro rmk up last year except on here. New Pro rmk are pretty dialed. Id wait another year before buying a xm. As much as i love skidoo Id like too get one when the quirks will be worked out.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Never heard much actually never even heard of one person blowing a pro rmk up last year except on here. New Pro rmk are pretty dialed. Id wait another year before buying a xm. As much as i love skidoo Id like too get one when the quirks will be worked out.

There are few changes from the previous XP, unless there are issues with the track, skid or goggle warmer, the rest is a proven package.

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
If I had the money and wanted a new sled I would be pretty torn right now between the pro and the XM. If the pro had a solid motor I would be sold, but the XP with the E-tec and now the track/skid it sounds like a more complete package than previously.

yammyman_1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 10, 2010
Sturgeon County, Alberta
Lmao... I'm with this guy...

the differences are the Pro is lighter and the XM has more juice (power)
all the rest is rider preference and setup

rev riders don't like XP's
XP riders don't like pro's
pro riders hate their old edges
ha ha ha this chit is funny as hell
let it snow !

Premium Features