• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

west yellowstone

O

Outlaw525s

Nov 19, 2010
has anyone been riding trying to decide if we should go to cooke or west yellowstone this weekend? Thanks guys

Big D rmk700

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2001
New Ulm, Mn
From talking with my friends doesn't sound like to many have ventured out yet!! I was out there last year over Turkey Day and it was good, however checking snowtels and talking with friends decided to past this year and wait for next storm before going!!!

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
From talking with my friends doesn't sound like to many have ventured out yet!! I was out there last year over Turkey Day and it was good, however checking snowtels and talking with friends decided to past this year and wait for next storm before going!!!

early season...or better said, Dealer Season...as in sled this time of year, your dealer LOVES you...lots of parts being ordered for all those under snow landmines...

will wait for a few more storms...besides, dont even have my sled yet...

rfabro

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2007
Bozeman, MT
I've ridden West twice now. Monday the 14th and Monday the 21st. Both times, there was much more snow than we expected. We did not go off trail, though.

First day, there seemed to be nearly a foot of pretty-fresh on top of nearly a foot of base. This was on Two Top Loop and Little Snowy Trail. It was pretty fun.... It did get thin and dirty on the Madison Arm Trail by Hebgen lake, so we turned around.

Second day, last Monday, was even better. Don't know the name of the trail, but we were swapping the lead while breaking trail in waist-deep fresh! We know from diggin' one of the sleds out that ended up with its tunnel trenched well below the top of the snow on the side of the trail. That trail started going due South out of town at the end of the crossroad that goes by the Poo dealer. It musta gone at least 10 miles while looping back around to the Two Top trail.

Good times!

R

rjkoll

Nov 4, 2009
i would highly recommend keeping an eye on the the snow depth charts on noaa weather service website. i use it for snow conditions in the upper peninsula and i find it to be very accurate. it usually will even display pockets of deep snow in very local areas. we would go and find where the chart shows the deeper snow and sure enough the charts are right.

Big D rmk700

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2001
New Ulm, Mn
So we skipped turkey day this year did we mess up???? Will be heading out if they get a good dump, but forecast looks kinda light on snow for the week or so!!!! Hopefully things change.

rfabro

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2007
Bozeman, MT
Went out there again yesterday.... It was much better than we thought it was gonna be... AGAIN! Went up Two Top and off into a few meadows up high that were pretty nice. Didn't look real deep, but didn't hit anything... Got to carve some nice turns and circles on the new sled.

Yeah, south of town has thigh-high to waist-deep snow... STILL, although it's kinda set up now. Driving down from Bozo, it wasn't looking too good until we got into the park, then there was a lot more snow all over.

After the Two Top ride, we got some gas and went south and found another deep, untracked, 10-15 mile, loop trail to ride. Sometimes trail riding is fun...

rfabro

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2007
Bozeman, MT
There was a bit of grass poking through in those meadows we rode but we didn't hit anything. Its pretty well covered up high. Its hard to say exactly how deep it is off trail but it seems better than we thought it would be each time, so ill guess about thigh deep on average up high.

Sposed to snow tomorrow and ill be down there again Fri so ill keep y'all posted

K

KG

Oct 12, 2009
Anybody know if it snowed much the last couple days out there? Would like to me it out real soon if some good fresh and not too much too hit.

K

KG

Oct 12, 2009
Ok thanks, so the outlook isn't real good anytime soon then.

rfabro

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2007
Bozeman, MT
So, went down there again yesterday. For the fourth time in a row it was better than we thought it would be....

On the way down we almost stopped at buck creek ridge 'cause there were a few other people there, but we wisely decided to go where the sure bet was. There was still a lot of grass showing on the trail up out of the main parking there.

We only did two top trail this time 'cause they just groomed it and I knew of a meadow up high. Well, that meadow was crappy, but the MUCH larger meadows up by the final climb to the summit were sweet! Just below the trail, the snow was good, but further down was pretty awesome. Thigh-deep freshies for hours, face shots and everything.... Didn't hit anything either(of course had to avoid some suspects).

So we burned half a tank there.

We did go up to the summit and it was thin and crusty with some rocks, but wasn't too bad. A short window in the weather allowed us a good view.

It did dump some nice flakes for about a half hour while we were playing in the meadows(2 or 3 inches), but other than a few teaser flurries, no other new snow while we were there. It looked like a few inches of snow was new in town between Monday and Friday.

R

rjkoll

Nov 4, 2009
Thanks for the update! Keep them coming. We're coming out there in just over 3 weeks so I keep checking the forecasts praying for good news. Snow dance everyone!

Premium Features