• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

05 IQR 800 oil injection???

i have a 05 iqr with a 800 ves motor in it.
when i bought it, the oil pump was taken off, and was running just premix. i am good with premixing, but the trouble i am having is blowing crank bearings.
is there a way to get oil onto the crank bearings??? what are you guys out there with this set-up running to lube your crank bearings???
i dont want oil injectiuon into the cabrs, just something to lube uo the bearings, so they quit melting down on me.
last set only lasted 25 miles.

any help is much appreciated.
sure glad we finally have an iqr subforum.

Please help me with my dilemma. love my sled, but cant afford to be down all the time and not riding.

Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
what he was asking is if the cases (under the cylinders) have been drilled for oil passage.. If they have not been, then pre-mix for that motor will never work.. no way to get any oil to the bearings unless the cases have been drilled.. you would only be able to verify if the cylinders are removed and you see the holes drilled. In a jam I have seen this done, but wouldnt recommend it for long.. Just use premix in the tank so that lubes the top end, but for the 2 check valves on each side of your motor un-cap them and run oil lines from them into a "T" and then from the "T" either add a line and just fill it with oil and continue to watch it to make sure it doesnt run out or connect this line from the "T" to an oil tank of some kind.. Like I said, not what I would recommend, but have seen it used and seen it work.. Just not sure how well it works.. But unless your cases have been drilled for oil injection elimination or you start running an oil pump, you will continue to have issue with bearing failure.

Here is what you are looking for if you already have the case apart..

http://www.slp.cc/catalog.cfm?pageID=detail&catalogID=3&catID=18&productID=159

thanks for the info.
after looking at my motor last night, the holes are not drilled in it.
can this be done with the crankcase put together and a crank in it, or does the case have to be split???
tried an oil pump, doesnt fit without notching the bulkhead, and relaly dont want to do that.
gonna try drilling the case, or a oil tank with a primer pump or something along those lines.
any other ideas out there???

Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
SLP requires the case to be split and they only need the top half.. I have heard this can be done if really careful w/out splitting the case, but you are so close anyway, its not much father to go to take it apart.. personally I wouldnt use the primer or the "T" fitting method.. just not safe enough I dont think.. I would either notch the bulk head (easy and cheap to do) or pay the $$ to send it to SLP and have them do it the right way for you.. That is also an inexpensive mod to get done.. Either way you went on that would be a lot cheaper than buying new crank bearings every few miles.. :)

Last edited:
SLP requires the case to be split and they only need the top half.. I have heard this can be done if really careful w/out splitting the case, but you are so close anyway, its not much father to go to take it apart.. personally I wouldnt use the primer or the "T" fitting method.. just not safe enough I dont think.. I would either notch the bulk head (easy and cheap to do) or pay the $$ to send it to SLP and have them do it the right way for you.. That is also an inexpensive mod to get done.. Either way you went on that would be a lot cheaper than buying new crank bearings every few miles.. :)

upon further looking, the pto side outer bearing doesnt have a hole drilled in it, but the other 3 do.
are all four holes supposed to be drilled out???

Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
That I am not 100% sure of.. I dont see why it wouldn't need to be, but looking at the pic posted on the SLP link I gave you, it only has 3 and the PTO side is the one not drilled.. if not drilled, I dont know how it would get oiled.. which bearing is failing?? or has it been random?

Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
I guess that would mean that its not getting oil to that bearing and I would assume (since its the only bearing failing) its because the hole isnt drilled for that side for some reason.. :) I would drill that hole out if you plan on staying with premix.. why not just add the oil pump?? if you have the motor out already it would be very easy to do.. then basically never have to worry again..:face-icon-small-coo If not, I would just get that hole drilled and that should fix the problem..

I guess that would mean that its not getting oil to that bearing and I would assume (since its the only bearing failing) its because the hole isnt drilled for that side for some reason.. :) I would drill that hole out if you plan on staying with premix.. why not just add the oil pump?? if you have the motor out already it would be very easy to do.. then basically never have to worry again..:face-icon-small-coo If not, I would just get that hole drilled and that should fix the problem..

i am not really super excited to hack into my bulkhead.
will possibly end up going the oil pump direction.

P

polarisaddict

Nov 30, 2007
You have to drill the pto side the exact same as the mag side is already,drill threw and machine a small groove on the inside of the bearing area, its not hard at all, if you know someone with a machine shop they can get it done in under an hour. i did my own.

Last edited:
T
Nov 26, 2007
Pull the PTO cylinder off and the casting in the upper case half will show you the indentation where the drill hole should be. Give the hole a decent enough angle about 30 degrees and drill slowly. This is a trick to doing it ghetto (not splitting cases) have someone on standby with a vacuum holding it as close to the bit as they can while you are drilling. And take it slow, its cast aluminum not steel. The hole should end up between the two bearings on the PTO end of the crank. Its also nice to have a chamfer bit after the hole is drilled to leave a decent chamfer to help get oil down in there.

BTW, you made me sad knowing that this has happened.

T
Nov 26, 2007
BTW, don't go to a oil injection pump.

The first time you blow a water pump belt the ENTIRE motor will run without oil til you realize the belt is broken. (TEMP light) upon which the reason your light is on (obviously) is its hot from running with no coolant or oil flow...

Probably not the best thing.

M

modme

Dec 17, 2007
Fargo, ND
notching for the oil pump

When I notched the bulkhead for the oil pump last weekend I just marked the center of the oil pump mounting hole and used a 2 1/2" wood hole saw on low speed with alot of oil. I had to trim some more out of the inside of the bulkhead (motor side) hole to clear the oil pump lever. I then cut a strap of aluminum and rewelded back in and trimmed it up with a die grinder cut off blade, aluminum mill bit, and a file. I plan on reinforcing the open part of the hole this weekend with a 1/4" chunk of round aluminum tubing. I should have the reinforcement pics up after this weekend when I get back to the computer monday. It's really not that bad of an operation.
If you don't wanna go through this though I would just mount a small oil reservior, plumb it to a ski-doo style primer in the dash and then plumb it into a T like you guys are talking about doing. Give it a squirt every so often and you should be good. There is a guy on Hardcore sledders that did this primer set up to a 440 because he didn't want to do the oil pump, don't remember where it was though in the forums.

thanks for all the help.
decided to do it the ritght and reliable way and loaded it into the truck and hauled it to a buddys welding shop for some surgery tomorrow.
i will take pics when i can, and post for all people out there to see.
i am running the oil pump just for the crank bearings, not into the carbs. still gonna premix.

When I notched the bulkhead for the oil pump last weekend I just marked the center of the oil pump mounting hole and used a 2 1/2" wood hole saw on low speed with alot of oil. I had to trim some more out of the inside of the bulkhead (motor side) hole to clear the oil pump lever. I then cut a strap of aluminum and rewelded back in and trimmed it up with a die grinder cut off blade, aluminum mill bit, and a file. I plan on reinforcing the open part of the hole this weekend with a 1/4" chunk of round aluminum tubing. I should have the reinforcement pics up after this weekend when I get back to the computer monday. It's really not that bad of an operation.

can you please send me some pics of what you did??? my email is bradf-88@hotmail.com

thanks.

Premium Features