• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How happy are you with your XP?

Are you happy with your XP?

• Total voters
S
Dec 13, 2008
The XP is a decent sled when it runs. The problem is Doo is in the market of selling parts and engines and belts. They have been since the mid 90's. There is a reason Doo and Polaris are neck and neck in blown engines. If you don't think Doo goes through motors just try and order a short block. Pretty tough to get one right now.

The XP may be refined for 2010 and 11 but i have run in to numerous guys with 2010's with 100-300 miles that were riding rentals because their beloved XP chit itself ! What i don't get is all the brand loyalty on such a piece of junk ! Sure its light ! But the reliability is in the tank !
They recalled the jack shafts on the 09, the cranks on the 07. Wonder what they'll recall this year? Not recalled, but gave warranty for any blown. Actually, when I was working as the mechanic up at Crooked Creek, they warrantied our belts because we were blowing so many of them. Went through two bottom ends on our '10's. They are junk. But once you get a feel of how to ride them, you'll never want to ride anything else. They outperform anything else.

R

rideride

Jan 29, 2010
finally gave up...bought 2 08 nytro mtx 4 yrs ago....put new belts on 2 yrs ago ...because we thought we should we should

REKXP

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2009
North Idaho
They recalled the jack shafts on the 09, the cranks on the 07. Wonder what they'll recall this year? Not recalled, but gave warranty for any blown. Actually, when I was working as the mechanic up at Crooked Creek, they warrantied our belts because we were blowing so many of them. Went through two bottom ends on our '10's. They are junk. But once you get a feel of how to ride them, you'll never want to ride anything else. They outperform anything else.

They recalled the driveshafts on the 08 models not the 09. No XP's in 07. Just regular Rev summits. Not sure who Summit boy rides with but I ride with a lot of XP's from 08 to 2010 models. The 08 has had the recalls taken care of the the 9's and 10's are so far flawless. But I do know a few kids that could trash a military tank in powder if given a chance.

S
Jan 22, 2008
My '08 X has been an absolute gas-more fun than could possibly be legal.
It is demanding to drive like any high performance toy. If I quit working out I might have to buy a couchmobile. meow:lips:
Reminds me of why I drive GM trucks:
They irritate me when the little stuff quits working like speedo, or hand warmers, or cruise control, but it doesn't leave me stranded in the backcountry with major trouble- and I can tow other folks out with it!
Odometer doesn't work any more- but at least 3,000 great miles with a belt every 500 miles is well worth the charge i get out of it. And if I could resist full power downhill fishhook turns in deep heavy late afternoon snow my belts might never blow up at all.

S
my first sled i owned myself was a 2007 summit adrenaline 151 800 r.I've not even owned it a year and i'm on my second motor.I put about 1500 miles before motor went.Siezed on me for no reason at all,putting motor together and am selling.I am currently on an 2011 154 800 e-tec,wich is the most amazing stock machine on the planet there is not a stock snowmobile that could out climb a 163 or 154 summit x 800 e-tec in the pow,i've proved it so far(in my area anyway).I think BRP has fixed there isues going e-tec.There handaling is so much better for 2011 the chassis second to none.THANX BRP

I

idaho ride

Nov 7, 2010
WASHINGTON
still love the xp

had the privlage of riding with my cousins over the holidays. had a blast but both of them on M1000 162" w/boondocker box's whipped my *** all over the MT i was on my 09 xp 163". the riding style was back country boondocking with some small climbs, but the FRESH powder was 5ft deep atleast. yea it was a blast, but very challenging.

both cousins are better riders than i am, (one of them is burandt style good)

I STILL LOVE MY XP! and wouldnt trade it for an M1000 or any other sled att. :face-icon-small-hap

xpx5

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2008
south dakota
i was thinking about switching to m8 !until i read there forum...bearings and motor mounts..and it looks like its 20 years old... im sick of the ski-doo issues though !!!???

C

cyclone340

Dec 18, 2010
XP Happiness indicator

To clarify. XP engines had problems in 2008. It appears (directly from a dealer service manager I know) that the 2009-2011's haven't had any of the same issues in the engine department as the 2008.

All brands have their issues. Ski-Doo has certainly had its share of issues but in comparison to other brands; I'd have to say it holds up very well. I was seriously considering getting an M8 as the second sled for the last 3 years but can't get past; no power, maintenance complaints, etc on that model. I would say XP owners should be happy overall with the product that Ski Doo has delivered since the first Rev came out in 2003 1/2! Lets face it; the Rev & XP have completely changed the industry and put Polaris into an industry follower position vs. industry leader in terms of machine and sales.

My biggest complain on the XP before 2011 was the air intake. We sledded alot of really deep powder and had major 'bog down' issues with air intake plugging up.

Smoke Show

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2008
Fort Nelson, BC
bought my 08 still in the box just at the begining of the 08/09 year, they did all the recall stuff before i even picked it up. i had some problems with belts intially but they re-aligned twice for me and i had a throttle sensor screw up but it was just near my house so not a big deal.

other than eating 3 belts in 1500km's its been good. i've had the dayco one there 700km's so far and still ticking (touch kevlar).

i just went off warranty and im a lil scared now but so far so good and i can't complain one bit.

D
Nov 29, 2008
nothing but problems

:face-icon-small-sadI have had a 08 xp. The list of problems repaired is long. Two major problems. crank broke. The sled died on the right side aka carbs replaced. i could go on. not worth it. My dealer sold me a 09 xp. great other then major carb problems. will not hold RPM under load. AKA. Having fun in meadows, hiils and long pulls like across a frozen lake. skidoo needs to set it up and make it work or finally tell us that the first two years we were there test models. They are making snowmobiling not fun after 15 years of many sleds and fun. The fun stopped when I bought my first XP. Thanks Skidoo. PS to all with the same issues. CALL SKIDOO AND DO NOT STOP TELL THEY DO SOMETHING ABOUT THERE PROBLEM WE OWN.::face-icon-small-dis

R

revtech100

Oct 13, 2008
Anchorage, AK
Tired of it's handleing....

Into the third season on my 09 xp, I've decided that it will never handle the way a sled should. Plain and simple it sucks. I've swaped the ski's, done the limiter strap, even changed to a timbersled suspension and at the end of it all, if you want to boondock, this isn't the sled. You work your *** off to get it to carve a little. I can't even get it to tip up. I'm switching to a polaris or Cat next year. I'll keep the XPs because I won't take the bath on resale and I'll let my kids and friends use them. They are dependable, fast, stable and all that. No mechanical problems, still on first belt, etc. They just don't boondock. At all. Pretty sad for an otherwise decent sled. Doo really missed it on these.

mountain man

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Craigmont, ID
XP

Those are some pretty harsh words!! I can personally relate to having a hard time to boondock but that was untill i figuered out how to ride the chassis. After 4 rides i can safely say i can boondock the Xp as good or better than any other sled out there. Getting your weight further back on the running boards and angle the bar riser back to were its inline with the steering post changes how the sled reacts 100%. I love the Xp platform, i just wish they would build a decent seat with some storage.

R

revtech100

Oct 13, 2008
Anchorage, AK
Those are some pretty harsh words!! I can personally relate to having a hard time to boondock but that was untill i figuered out how to ride the chassis. After 4 rides i can safely say i can boondock the Xp as good or better than any other sled out there. Getting your weight further back on the running boards and angle the bar riser back to were its inline with the steering post changes how the sled reacts 100%. I love the Xp platform, i just wish they would build a decent seat with some storage.

I've moved the bars in line. I'm heading out for two weeks to play in mid march. I'll do the weight transfer and see if that helps. I totally agree with you on the seat!

T

TheGuyX

May 17, 2009
Regina, SK, Canada
Into the third season on my 09 xp, I've decided that it will never handle the way a sled should. Plain and simple it sucks. I've swaped the ski's, done the limiter strap, even changed to a timbersled suspension and at the end of it all, if you want to boondock, this isn't the sled. You work your *** off to get it to carve a little. I can't even get it to tip up. I'm switching to a polaris or Cat next year. I'll keep the XPs because I won't take the bath on resale and I'll let my kids and friends use them. They are dependable, fast, stable and all that. No mechanical problems, still on first belt, etc. They just don't boondock. At all. Pretty sad for an otherwise decent sled. Doo really missed it on these.

I had the same problem. I had to work twice as hard as my buddies who were on M8 Sno Pro's. But the 2011 is almost as easy to boondock as an M8, and the suspension is way better. It cost me a bundle to upgrade but totally worth it now. Plus I got the Etech engine. Just sick.

R

revtech100

Oct 13, 2008
Anchorage, AK
I had the same problem. I had to work twice as hard as my buddies who were on M8 Sno Pro's. But the 2011 is almost as easy to boondock as an M8, and the suspension is way better. It cost me a bundle to upgrade but totally worth it now. Plus I got the Etech engine. Just sick.

I've done the rear shock upgrade on one of them and will be putting the Alternative impact 35.7" A Arms on it next week. If that works, then I'll be a happy camper. If not, then off to a cat or polaris.....

H

Highmarker

Nov 20, 2004
In the west!
Owned ski doo's all my life. Think I am done with them now. New pro-climb coming my way! I don't think the XP is a bad sled....it definatly has its issues, But I have also liked cats. Time for a change

Premium Features