• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Should i build an iqr???

D
Jan 1, 2008
Last year at the end of the season i bought a 2007 cat M1000... It was a bigger sled then i needed but the price was right. After riding it a few times i decided i can't stand it... It is nose heavy and pulls me around, i feel uncomfortable and akward on it. So now i think i am going to sell it and try and find an iqr or rr sled to build the way i like. 700 ves motor or 600 bb with 144 track, nothing crazy. Just have some questions.

1 I have ridden iq chassis sleds before and loved them, been told the iqr rides totally different. Is this true?

2 What are major problems with these sled?

3 How hard is it to change to a 700 ves motor? I have friends that know alot about building sleds and motors

4 Does anyone sell the pipe and motor plate for this?

5 should i do a complete skid or rails extensions? what is a decent skid for this?

6 any other help would be great. i want a 144 sled with about 140-150 hp

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
1 I have ridden iq chassis sleds before and loved them, been told the iqr rides totally different. Is this true? Yes, they are very different. The IQR is much more rider forward.

2 What are major problems with these sled? Stock tank is too small (from IQR not RR). No mountain bar and bars are setup for snow cross. Stock tunnel doesn't have snow evacuation and is too short for 144"

3 How hard is it to change to a 700 ves motor? I have friends that know alot about building sleds and motors I think that the motor mounts will be the same. Big motor mods will require a slight chassis tube adjustment in the motor bay.

4 Does anyone sell the pipe and motor plate for this? Motor plate link

5 should i do a complete skid or rails extensions? what is a decent skid for this? Stock the IQR is 121". 144" sounds like a heck of a stretch to me. I'd do a suspension kit (EZ, Holz, etc) or do rails.

6 any other help would be great. i want a 144 sled with about 140-150 hp Find a 797 Polaris factory race motor!

J
Oct 12, 2002
Idaho, Meridian
sounds sweet... so should i use a 600 HO and a big bore? what kinda power do u think i can get out of this sled with that motor

The easiest swap would be a 600 ho motor.You could pretty much bolt everything on, or find an Race replica and be done. when you do a big block motor things don't fit all that well and requires some fab work but it can be done.

Meathooker had a 600 with a 685 kit on it from carls cycle it was a fun machine. We had to build our own pipe at the time but slp now has a pipe for this chassis with a 600 motor.

Forget about using the stock suspension for powder riding, it is heavy and the approach angle isn't conducive to deep snow riding. Its best to swap in an RMK skid and front arms. An edge rear skid will work but you have to narrow it about half an inch to get it to fit in the tunnel.
front suspension can be swapped with the dragon, I would go with 09 front suspension if you get the choice because its easier to install a swaybar and in my opinion makes the sled handle much better.

My sled is powered by a 797 with a single pipe and has holz front and back with a 155 2.4 track. It is by far the funnest best handling sled i've owned or ridden, The down side was it took me two seasons to get it that way.

I

IdahoPowderHound

Jul 3, 2008
Alpine Wyoming
Just picted up a '05 iqr and i love it. Sled has a 45" Z-Broz front end with fox floats. Rear skid has ice-age 155" rails, exit shocks, a 9" billet wheel kit, and a 155" polaris track. light, nimble and very tough. The 685 is a really great engine and with low comp heads you can run pump gas.

D
Jan 1, 2008
does anyone know what kinda power a 660 would put out, 130-140 hp? also want to know anything about the front end that could help, do i need to change the a arms? or just shocks? whats the ski stance?

I

IdahoPowderHound

Jul 3, 2008
Alpine Wyoming
Not sure on the exact numbers the 660 puts out im sure its close to 145-150 hp. As far as the front goes depends on how much you want to spend. If you want to do it right i would definately go with Z-broz front 45" wide kit with HRP spindles and either fox floats or exit shocks. they are the strongest you can get and they are much lighter then the stock arms. I am only 5'10" and 150lbs and i have no problem throwing my sled around even being that wide. I have a 685 with twins and a 91 octane head and love the setup but hear great things about the 660 kits too.

I

IdahoPowderHound

Jul 3, 2008
Alpine Wyoming
not sure on stock width i got mine with the z-broz front already installed. Im sure its close to 45". If your on a budget you can run the stock arms and shocks. i would have the stock shocks revalved for trail instead of the stiff race valving there set at. if you go that route you need to pm 1200 psi on here and get some shorter spindles from him. the stockers are way to tall for a mountain setup.

D
Jan 1, 2008
41.5 isn't too bad, can u put a softer shock and spring on this though? I am not trying to build a mountain sled just a powder capable ditch banger.... I am leaning more to a 136x2

Jan 10, 2008
Depends on the year. 05-06 is a 41" stance. 07-08 is a 43" stance. 09-10 is a 45" stance. Or there's always aftermarket. Mountain riding seams to warrant a narrower stance. Just from what I've been told.

Kerry

Money should not be an object with these sleds!!

Premium Features