• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

History of the forum......

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
When I joined this forum there were less than a 100 people on here. For the first 3 or 4 years we knew EVERYONE on here. We recognized all of their usernames and probably rode, BBQ'd, ATV'd, waterskied with all of them at one time or another.

We've lost members to avys. We've buried friends from this forum who died on forum rides. Anyone know the significance of the Animal ride? We've had peeps from here get married to each other. We've had LOTS of peeps start filming vids because of this forum. Some of them have made BIG in their genre. Some of them have been BIG riders in their genre.

WE are this forum. We've fought, smiled, cried, loved and hated people on here. We made this forum into what it is...and New people don't understand the history and the life this forum has taken. The old timers can't understand the need for the max posts. New people come on here all cocked up and try to be something their not...and then they meet a few of the riders, putting names and faces with the username...and they humble right back down again. We've seen it over and over again in the last 11 years.

I understand why people take "ownership" of this site. they are who made it what it is...that being said....and it's been said a million times on here in the past 9 years for sure...This site is provided to us for free.

If some farmer said...hey, you guys can come ride your quads and bikes in my field and build a track and hang out and drink beer and totally have a good time...

Let me just open up this here gate and you guys can come in.

It's a free for all...until the farmer gets smart and builds a couple of kickers...puts up some hay bales...and a "park here" sign.

Somewhere along the line the farmer has to turn his field and rebuild the track. IT's gotten dusty, the ruts are too bad and the fence got tore out.

The farmer says...clean it up or I'll lock that gate back up. "OK" they say..."OK". But that doesn't last long...it's back the way it was.

Now the riders won't leave and they start to litter their oil jugs, beer cans and there are nekked girlies over in the corner by the elementary school property.

Grandpa got his feelers hurt cause some kid showed him up on the double up but he's still there cause DAMMIT, HE'S STILL RIDIN.

Someone spilled gas and burned a corner of the field.

Joe beat the piss out of Ryan cause he sold him a bad engine. Ryan has been shunned...he went back to the city where he belongs.

They do that for over 10 years and it eventually turns into the main hangout for all the quadders and dirtbikers...but the farmer is chaging his mind about the whole deal. He likes the riders being there..but doesn't like everything that has happened along the way..and doesn't like the all night parties and loud music and the dancing girls and the cockeyed flat brim hats.

Eventually the farmer says...you know for all the trouble I've been through to provide this place to you...you aren't treating it very well. I'm gonna try a couple things here.

The farmer annouces that he's going to build a pit area, clean up the concessions area, sell beer (and root beer for the kiddies), hang a disco ball, gonna build a stage. He's invited KTM to show up and have a vendor booth...

A group gets pissed and says FU we're going to Billy's field. It's a brand new field...and they get their friends to move across the street with them. They stand across the street and throw rocks at Farmer's field and everyone still there. They also send people over to hang out and pretend they are still cool with the Farmer's new riding area. But their problem is...they say they just want the track back...no disco ball and the other new stuff...just the race track and the old parking area. They policed themselves and used to pick up after themselves most of the time. They even traded parts with each other with pretty good luck when the group was smaller.

That's all they want...they just want "their" field back.

I ran out of steam..and I mighta got lost in there...but I think some of you get the point. That's a portion of my take on what this forum right now.

Last edited:
B
Jul 6, 2001
Watrous, SK
I'd be fine with all of this crap, if Harris just came out and said they couldn't afford to keep this place up and running and need to go to a user pay setup. Instead, this Chris dude is trying to sell everyone on sunshine and lollipops features that no one cares about. Industry "big hitters" that won't come here under the current format, will afterwards. (ya, whatever, I guess all us small hitters were good enough for them that we can't delete any of our posts that are over a week old) Scripts written in that change posts. Mods with ulterior motives. Etc.

I hate being lied to. Don't whiz on my head and tell me it's raining. That's why I'm mad about this.

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
scott theres more to the story. HP has somthing else up there sleeve and they are trying to make snowest part of it.

K

knee deep in it

Nov 21, 2007
calgary
Scott, I think you have a good understanding of what the forum used to be like. I found it to be a great place for information and have met some excellent people.

It seems like this forum is accurately refelcting our sport. Everything has to be bigger, more complicated. Not a lot of humility in society in general and I think that has happened here as well.

I will pay the $10 because there is still some good information that I need but it ain't the same.

Vertical-Extreme

Lifetime Membership
Sep 15, 2008
Airdrie, Alberta
www.airdriejudo.ca
well said scott. I have been on here less not because of the changes or the speed, but because all the *****ing and moaning gets old quick. if you are really that unhappy just leave and go the new site, and never think about snowest again. I am a member of b.c.r. sled junkies and s&m and i check them all from time to time. Im sure people will get pissy about this post but im sure lots of people are tired of going into every section to see posts about how christopher and snowest ruined there life. if you want to see what it is going to be like stick around, if you are coming on here to cry, the door is in the top right, just knock on the red X they will let you out

Last edited:
W
Jan 2, 2008
Once upon a time there was this farmer, he had some fallow land that wouldn't grow any crops. One night in his sleep he dreamed of a bunch of dirtbikers riding around a track in his field.

Out of shear providence, that morning he had a knock on his door "sir would it be ok if we rode our dirt bikes in your field over yonder?" Mystified by this the farmer said "sure".

So the bikers rode on the field, made make shift jumps and had a great time. The famer enjoyed this, and people began to see his farm and all the produce he had to offer, his sales started to rise.

After ahwile more people came, the farmer sold more turnips and corn.

Then people came to advertise and paid the farmer to put up banners on his fence.
Life was good.

Then the farmer, having more money than he's ever had, begins to feel the greed of that money. His turnips -not getting the attention they once had- begin to loose their quality. His corn became sub par due to his neglect. People were getting rotten vegitables.
The farmer decided that due to his failure in raising his crop he needed to make more money elsewhere.

So he charged the dirtbikers to ride there, some of the newer riders paid while many riders refused. The older riders knew what it had been like, they knew that without them, there would be no banners on the fences. Without the awesome track they had built no one would want to ride there anymore.

They had picked up a lot of rocks out of that field, and for the farmer to charge them for something they had built up was simply not fair, even if it was that farmers land. Afterall, it was fallow before the dirbikers had turned it into something enjoyable.

Soon the farmer found that his farm sucked, and no one wanted to ride his field anymore.

He sold the farm to someone else for pennys on the dollar

Last edited:

heinracing

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
mina sd
that was amazing week day warrior it sums it right up

scott i like you but i think the with admin it makes it have blinders on

SnowXTC

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Montana
I know I posted this else where, but here is my take.

It is not the cost, it is the fact that they want us to pay for something that is now "better", but in reality is a lot worse. Without even bringing up the pay issue, there are people leaving like flies heading to a new meal with all the issues that are going on and now they want to us to pay for something that is worse. Yes, they provide this as a service, but they need to remember that it is the users that have made it what it is. Take the users away, what good is the service.

S

skidontlover

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 3, 2008
When I joined this forum there were less than a 100 people on here. For the first 3 or 4 years we knew EVERYONE on here. We recognized all of their usernames and probably rode, BBQ'd, ATV'd, waterskied with all of them at one time or another.

We've lost members to avys. We've buried friends from this forum who died on forum rides. Anyone know the significance of the Animal ride? We've had peeps from here get married to each other. We've had LOTS of peeps start filming vids because of this forum. Some of them have made BIG in their genre. Some of them have been BIG riders in their genre.

WE are this forum. We've fought, smiled, cried, loved and hated people on here. We made this forum into what it is...and New people don't understand the history and the life this forum has taken. The old timers can't understand the need for the max posts. New people come on here all cocked up and try to be something their not...and then they meet a few of the riders, putting names and faces with the username...and they humble right back down again. We've seen it over and over again in the last 11 years.

I understand why people take "ownership" of this site. they are who made it what it is...that being said....and it's been said a million times on here in the past 9 years for sure...This site is provided to us for free.

If some farmer said...hey, you guys can come ride your quads and bikes in my field and build a track and hang out and drink beer and totally have a good time...

Let me just open up this here gate and you guys can come in.

It's a free for all...until the farmer gets smart and builds a couple of kickers...puts up some hay bales...and a "park here" sign.

Somewhere along the line the farmer has to turn his field and rebuild the track. IT's gotten dusty, the ruts are too bad and the fence got tore out.

The farmer says...clean it up or I'll lock that gate back up. "OK" they say..."OK". But that doesn't last long...it's back the way it was.

Now the riders won't leave and they start to litter their oil jugs, beer cans and there are nekked girlies over in the corner by the elementary school property.

Grandpa got his feelers hurt cause some kid showed him up on the double up but he's still there cause DAMMIT, HE'S STILL RIDIN.

Someone spilled gas and burned a corner of the field.

Joe beat the piss out of Ryan cause he sold him a bad engine. Ryan has been shunned...he went back to the city where he belongs.

They do that for over 10 years and it eventually turns into the main hangout for all the quadders and dirtbikers...but the farmer is chaging his mind about the whole deal. He likes the riders being there..but doesn't like everything that has happened along the way..and doesn't like the all night parties and loud music and the dancing girls and the cockeyed flat brim hats.

Eventually the farmer says...you know for all the trouble I've been through to provide this place to you...you aren't treating it very well. I'm gonna try a couple things here.

The farmer annouces that he's going to build a pit area, clean up the concessions area, sell beer (and root beer for the kiddies), hang a disco ball, gonna build a stage. He's invited KTM to show up and have a vendor booth...

A group gets pissed and says FU we're going to Bubba's field. It's a brand new field...and they get their friends to move across the street with them. They stand across the street and throw rocks at Farmer's field and everyone still there. They also send people over to hang out and pretend they are still cool with the Farmer's new riding area. But their problem is...they say they just want the track back...no disco ball and the other new stuff...just the race track and the old parking area. They policed themselves and used to pick up after themselves most of the time. They even traded parts with each other with pretty good luck when the group was smaller.

That's all they want...they just want "their" field back.

I ran out of steam..and I mighta got lost in there...but I think some of you get the point. That's a portion of my take on what this forum right now.

First off let me say this. Scott This is BUBBA. Since you chose to name me specificly and they have blocked my account from using it to reply to shots made at me by you or christopher I will use this one since a good friend gave me access knowing it will prob be bannned by using it to post. The "New Field" that you are subtly bashing has a policy of not bashing SW. It's not my "Field" althought it is my friends " Field" . These friends got tired of bs on many different sites and decided to take their collective knowledge and expericnce and buy their own "FIELD" and distance themselves from everyone else. Anyone that wants to come and ride in that "Field" is welcome with the disclaimer that you must be willing to have fun, joke, and be willing to give good tech info when asked.

I hear from friends that are still on here that they have been attacked for being friends or being associated with me.... That is BS. They are volunteering for heck sakes. They can associate with who ever they feel like.

I hear that Chris has Blamed me for pieps finding out that SW was going pay before they announced it.......Thats BS I had heard it was going pay before I was ever even made a mod.

It has been interesting to see mods make statements about things for the last 2 weeks in posts that are blatant lies. Like them saying it wasn't going pay when you already new that it was going pay. Or saying that mods will have to pay when Christopher told them all that they would be given free access.

So with that all vented. I would appreciate it if you modtards would pull your heads out and stop using me as a scape goat. I ve walked away even though I get calls about things you guys are saying. I could have come on and made an alter a night since I have atleast 10 different IP addys that I am connected to on a daily basis, and I have not. So keep my name out of all the bs. Im done and this will be the last time I respond to anything.

W
Jan 2, 2008
I know I posted this else where, but here is my take.

It is not the cost, it is the fact that they want us to pay for something that is now "better", but in reality is a lot worse. Without even bringing up the pay issue, there are people leaving like flies heading to a new meal with all the issues that are going on and now they want to us to pay for something that is worse. Yes, they provide this as a service, but they need to remember that it is the users that have made it what it is. Take the users away, what good is the service.

not only pay for worse, but to pay for something that was built on your back.

Without the SW'rs, there would be no SW4M and no advertisers.

SnowXTC

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Montana
Wow, this gets more interesting everyday. It feels more like August then November.

We really need to do some living outside the box and on the hill.

W
Jan 2, 2008
I am very interested in this mod thing you allude too.

was there some inside info going around about being a mod and getting free subscription????

IS this why we have so many mods all the sudden? Have we got a bunch of Martha Stewarts running SW???

Scott how long have you known SW was going pay site? And did you recruit friends to be mods so they wouldn't have to pay???

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
First off let me say this. Scott This is BUBBA. Since you chose to name me specificly and they have blocked my account from using it to reply to shots made at me by you or christopher I will use this one since a good friend gave me access knowing it will prob be bannned by using it to post.

I snipped some of this......I don't believe Scott was intentionally naming YOU. It was just a name. Bubba is used a lot in every day life, for different things. I personally know peeps with this nickname. You see it in jokes, so it's nothing personal. The nickname has been around for a very long time. :beer;

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
Scott, that was pretty good...I busted out laughing at this part though:

Joe beat the piss out of Ryan cause he sold him a bad engine. Ryan has been shunned...he went back to the city where he belongs

For those that really want to know, we didn't find out about SW going to a pay site all that much before the rest of you.

Last edited:

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
JBB quit being a mod. they said he would get a free sub but he didn't think that was fair.

Premium Features