• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Elk hunters (non resident Colorado)

M
Oct 15, 2001
Forest Lake, MN
Well looks like I am comeing out west in October for the 2nd season elk hunt. I have never elk hunted before but always wanted to, and with a free guide (a friend) all i have to do is buy the tag. I couldn't pass up the deal.

So me and 2 friends are driving out October 14th and hunting till the 23rd. Buddies brother is going to guide us and let us stay at there camp.

I have kind of started to get the cardio thing going because I know it is going to be tough. I thought I was gonna die up at 14,000ft hiking last summer out there.

Anyways anything I should definatly NOT forget when comeing out? Anyone know when the deadline is to buy a tag? The Colorado website sucks nuts.

M
Oct 15, 2001
Forest Lake, MN
Where are you hunting?

I can't remember where he said we are going, I will know tonight or tomorrow. Damn non resident tag is $550! So Hopefully in the week and a half I can find a decent bull to shoot. Not sure if I will stick with 160gr rounds in the 30.06 or jump up to a 210gr. My buddy (Guide) says we shouldn't have to shoot over 150 yards.

Knocked a whitetail on his *** at over 330 yards last year, so I am not sure which shell I will use. Might just go in between with a 180gr. Any thoughts?

S
Nov 26, 2007
Craig Colorado
I can't remember where he said we are going, I will know tonight or tomorrow. Damn non resident tag is $550! So Hopefully in the week and a half I can find a decent bull to shoot. Not sure if I will stick with 160gr rounds in the 30.06 or jump up to a 210gr. My buddy (Guide) says we shouldn't have to shoot over 150 yards.

Knocked a whitetail on his *** at over 330 yards last year, so I am not sure which shell I will use. Might just go in between with a 180gr. Any thoughts?

That question will start a huge debate. I killed 22 elk in 22 years with a .270 shooting 130 grain bullets, for whatever that's worth.

snow_knight

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Black Hills,SD
for that kinda hunting i would go with around 180g... a little more energy.. but like woodzy said.. all depends on where you hit it... practice lots with quick free hand shots.. might be all you get..

M
Oct 15, 2001
Forest Lake, MN
I am just gonna jump to a 180gr. Should just be a little change that I can fix I can make at the cabin one day. Then I will just use 180 for the deer and elk for now on.

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
all depends on where you put it.

don't start that debate again....or the guy who used a 270. Dont ya know you need a minimum of a 300 to kill elk.;)

Sounds like a good deal and a great trip Mach. Had a bud go out archery for elk with a few buds...he worked out before hand and they didn't. He wasn't to sore to hunt the second or third day.

C
Sep 18, 2003
Keenesburg CO
Well looks like I am comeing out west in October for the 2nd season elk hunt. I have never elk hunted before but always wanted to, and with a free guide (a friend) all i have to do is buy the tag. I couldn't pass up the deal.

So me and 2 friends are driving out October 14th and hunting till the 23rd. Buddies brother is going to guide us and let us stay at there camp.

I have kind of started to get the cardio thing going because I know it is going to be tough. I thought I was gonna die up at 14,000ft hiking last summer out there.

Anyways anything I should definatly NOT forget when comeing out? Anyone know when the deadline is to buy a tag? The Colorado website sucks nuts.

Since the deadline is past for this year, I'll assume you are talking about hunting in 2010. The deadline to apply is early April, notifications come out mid May (I believe) if you are successful.

Get in shape, exercise carrying a pack (even if you won't hunt with one) with weight in it. You will be amazed how heavy your gun gets after carrying it for a few days up and down mountains. As expensive as an out of state tag is, you won't want to be done (physically) after only a few days. Get your boots early, get them broke in, again, you don't want blisters after the second day.

For weather, plan on everything from 80's and hot, to rain, to a blizzard. You could have all in a week and a half in October in the mountains, depending on where you are. Survival gear, be ready to spend a night out just like if you were snowmobiling.

Premium Features