• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 patriot break in?

chriswelters

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2009
Ishpeming MI
The manual states...
fe01d1c4933affa9c50a5fc03d88fcb2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
What was posted by ChrisWelters is the correct break in procedure. Once you get past the initial 2 hour mark (time only counts for RPM over 5500), this machine REALLY wakes up. Then, if you run non-ethanol fuel, change the setting to “non-ethanol” and that even wakes it up more. This sled absolutely RIPS!!

The success rate on this new engine is more like 98%. Yes, there are failures, as there always will be with any and all sleds. The vast majority of negative posts you see on this site will come from those who have something to sell you to “make it better”, and/or from those who ride other brands, and for some reason feel compelled to add their unnecessary, unwelcome and unhelpful remarks / comments / posts.

Happy Riding!

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Patriot 850 Break-In Procedure:
- Run easily and vary the throttle for the first few hours.
- Ride normally. Grenade motor. Return to shop for updated motor.
- Repeat break-in.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho

Yes. Definitely NOT what the trolls and calamity howlers on "duh innernet" (that ride other brands) would have you believe.

Two dealers . . more than 200 snow check sleds. ONE failure, and a few oil line issues. Yes, there are more dealers that may or may not have had more failures, but that is what we are seeing here.

I guess that is over 99% success. . .not bad at all!!

Break it in properly, and RIDE that beast. It RIPS!!

dirty dog

Lifetime Membership
Aug 16, 2018
What was posted by ChrisWelters is the correct break in procedure. Once you get past the initial 2 hour mark (time only counts for RPM over 5500), this machine REALLY wakes up. Then, if you run non-ethanol fuel, change the setting to “non-ethanol” and that even wakes it up more. This sled absolutely RIPS!!

Is there a way to tell if you are done with break in hours?

chriswelters

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2009
Ishpeming MI
Is there a way to tell if you are done with break in hours?[/QUOTE]

The dealer can plug in with digital wrench and see some different ranges of throttle. They can get a really good idea.

chriswelters

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2009
Ishpeming MI
I just found out today that I have 3 hours of break in left. Snowmobile has 300 miles and 24.6 hours.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Please show me where you are getting 10 hours above 5500.

One of the engineers told me it's 10 hours TOTAL, with 2 of those above 5500.

Premium Features